The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 02-16-2016, 10:25 PM

Default Fold-up EZ1 and Mobile shop

I just saw a photo of an EZ1 folded up and hanging on a wall on Facebook. EZ said that there will be two sizes; the smaller version for portability. Can't wait to see them as I'm needing a better portable setup.

On that thought, I'm trying to decide on how to upgrade my portable tool storage and work setup. 1) buy a cargo trailer and outfit it Ron Paulk style, or 2) buy a topper for the pickup and go with a modular system for tool storage.

Which would you choose? Why?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
I just saw a photo of an EZ1 folded up and hanging on a wall on Facebook. EZ said that there will be two sizes; the smaller version for portability. Can't wait to see them as I'm needing a better portable setup.

On that thought, I'm trying to decide on how to upgrade my portable tool storage and work setup. 1) buy a cargo trailer and outfit it Ron Paulk style, or 2) buy a topper for the pickup and go with a modular system for tool storage.

Which would you choose? Why?
Good questions. To each their own, I'm guessing. I've always done modular, due to the nature of the varying projects I did. The mainstay of my work had to do with 'service-and-repair', meaning each day had different requirements than the day before, usually at different locations. To that end, over the years, I figured out what worked for me: small pick-up w/ARE topper (side and rear access doors http://www.4are.com/). Inside, I built bins to house tools, accessible from either of the side doors, and slide out drawers on one side, at the back, accessible when the tailgate was dropped. My Little Giant ladder hung from the inside-ceiling of the topper so as to not use truck-bed space, and still be accessible when the bed was full. W/a lumber rack on top, I was set to go. Easily loaded, easily unloaded, quickly locked up.

On jobs that required a lengthier stay, being modular was no disadvantage. When it came to needing a larger work area, sawhorses worked best for me. I'm not sure there is an 'ideal' portable work situation- each person's needs/demands will dictate different set-ups. While the Paulk scenario is totally brilliant, it wouldn't have worked well for me.

Re. portable EZ-one: hooray! a great concept. When I designed a portable EZ-one years ago, I addressed the issues that were important to me: easily removable/replaceable bridges; no flex in the table top; light weight; modular in design (ie. no 'erratic' edges to snag on things or get bumped out of alignment); fit in the truck; robust; maximum versatility; etc. Pics one and two show the result: partially open top table made w/4 sides of EZ track, having an internal brace. Using slide-in modules allows infinite options. Doesn't flex/twist; rides on it's side in the back of the truck (can also ride in the passenger seat if I recline the seat-back); light enough to pick up with one hand; etc. Modified, quick mount/demount bridges make it sweet.

Pics 3 & 4 show a truly portable, modular EZ-1. Pic 3 shows nested modules, w/modified bridges inside; pic 4 shows the modules joined together- cuts up to 4' long, like the EZ-one; or, only use one of the modules if long lengths aren't needed. Once joined together, the module-unit can span across two saw horses. For the way I work, something like this is ideal; other's might not like it so much. (fwiw: I loaned this unit to my b-in-law, and now he doesn't want to give it back- he's really enjoying using it in his cramped work space..... go figure...... lol)

So, yeah, my guess would be to just start somewhere, knowing that you'll change it up later, after you see what works and what doesn't.

my 2,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  sliding modules-  crosscut.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	6803   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  set up options - 1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	6804   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini pbb stacked.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	6805   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini pbb assembled.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	6806  
Old 02-17-2016, 10:46 PM

Default Each person needs to define their needs.

Having to be mobile for me has changed in the last few years. I own a 18' Featherlight trailer. I used to do large additions and that rig served me very well. The "garage on wheels" as I call it. In the last few years I have transformed more into a kitchen/interior remodel company. I am looking at a 6'x 8' trailer with a fold down rear door and two side doors- one on each side. I think that should suit me well. Setup and take down time needs to be considered. I have kept a diary of my needs for tools over the past few months. What I am finding out is that I need to concentrate on organization. I have left that slip and I find myself getting discouraged because I am missing something that I thought I didn't need.
When the snow melts I plan on putting the Featherlight up for sale. Just don't use it anymore.

Marty
Old 02-19-2016, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm also frustrated by my lack of organization. Since I hate not having a tool when I need it, I usually end up taking everything I have everywhere I go. Problem is I really don't have room for it so I end up cramming unrelated tools together. Then at the job site I have to sift through a lot of things I don't need to find the one thing I do need. I also end lugging multiple 50 lb. toolboxes around. Per your input, I think I'll start small even though a 6x12 trailer may still be where I end up. Thanks!

What do you think about the Dewalt Tstak system?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:10 AM

Tracedfar,
IMO, any of the tool box systems that help one get organized is positive. I guess there are positives and negatives to all systems. Part of Festools tremendous success is that they sell the system and they organize you for the "get go". When you purchase a tool from Festool you get the sustainer, or whatever it is called. I personally have settled on the Bosch LBox system. They are not cheap but I like the stackability of the LBox. So, I can load it into my vehicle or trailer of whatever. It is my understanding that the Dewalt system is the same.
I think I started with the Lbox when I bought my 6" Bosch random orbital sander and they had a promotion to get the Lbox for a few $ more. I did and they got me.
keep us posted and good luck.

Marty