The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
Rick,

What blades do you know of, that you can't feel the teeth from the bottom (for things like trimming kreg plugs, flush trimming, etc)?

My dad is wanting ones like a Japanese saw, for the times when he has arm troubles.
The Japan tooth blade on this page should do it:

http://www.multiblades.com/multimasterblades.html

What I've done in the past when I get in those situations (rarely, for me) is to carefully run the bottom of a standard blade over a whetstone to make sure the bottom is completely flat, w/no teeth protruding downwards.
Also, when I've worn the teeth down, I've cut in my own, which leaves them all in the same plane.
The thing I do most often, tho, is to cut whatever I'm cutting, with a piece of sheetmetal between the blade and the surface I'm wanting to protect. Quick, protective, most control.
HTH,
Rick
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post

What I've done in the past when I get in those situations (rarely, for me) is to carefully run the bottom of a standard blade over a whetstone to make sure the bottom is completely flat, w/no teeth protruding downwards.
Also, when I've worn the teeth down, I've cut in my own, which leaves them all in the same plane.
The thing I do most often, tho, is to cut whatever I'm cutting, with a piece of sheetmetal between the blade and the surface I'm wanting to protect. Quick, protective, most control.
HTH,
Rick
Hey Rick,

Thanks for that link. Now I won't have to take out a loan to get new blades for mine. Love that tool. So many uses and answers to tough tasks like saving the floor cutting door frames.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
Rick,

What blades do you know of, that you can't feel the teeth from the bottom (for things like trimming kreg plugs, flush trimming, etc)?

My dad is wanting ones like a Japanese saw, for the times when he has arm troubles.
None of the Fein woodcutting blades that I've used have any set to the teeth. So, in theory anyway, you can set the blade flat on the material and cut flush. I think the metal cutting blades have set to the teeth.. I've never had any luck cutting plugs flush without marking the wood. I now set a wide thin putty knife on the wood, my blade on top of the knife. That gives me the knife's thickness of plug left to sand flush.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post

HTH,
Rick
Thank you! I copied and emailed him the above link and post, he should be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
None of the Fein woodcutting blades that I've used have any set to the teeth. So, in theory anyway, you can set the blade flat on the material and cut flush. I think the metal cutting blades have set to the teeth.. I've never had any luck cutting plugs flush without marking the wood. I now set a wide thin putty knife on the wood, my blade on top of the knife. That gives me the knife's thickness of plug left to sand flush.
Maybe I should look at the Fein, with the projects mom has coming up, and some metal working projects, that it might work well for (my projects; was planning on using a 4 1/2" grinder/cut off tool). Since we already have two or three different lower end models, I wasn't planning on buying one until I used it a few times.

Thank you, something else to check into.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toollovingschultz View Post
Bruce you should try the blades from imperial blades they are high quality and made in usa company. I have found their blades to be cheaper and last far longer. Here is a link http://imperialblades.com/
I have had a rockwell sonicrafter for 2 years at least I bought one of the first ones. This company [imperial ] really stands behind their blades if you get a bad one they want to make it right.
Andy
We sincerely appreciate your post and kind words! Our goal here at Imperial is to provide end-users accessibility to affordable, universal blades. On top of that we pride ourselves on not sacrificing the quality.

We know the need is there and launched our Titanium Storm series with the intention of wanting to provide a blade that users can trust will get the job done. Also doesn't hurt the fact that we are the only American Manufacturer in our industry.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialblades View Post
We sincerely appreciate your post and kind words! Our goal here at Imperial is to provide end-users accessibility to affordable, universal blades. On top of that we pride ourselves on not sacrificing the quality.

We know the need is there and launched our Titanium Storm series with the intention of wanting to provide a blade that users can trust will get the job done. Also doesn't hurt the fact that we are the only American Manufacturer in our industry.
Hi, Guys, good to see you here on the forum. Great blades, by the way.
Just a minor correction:
-These are also American Manufacturer:
http://www.multiblades.com
I believe he was the first in the States to offer a Fein alternative blade.
No biggie- just thought I'd mention it.
Rick