The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 PM
bumpnstump bumpnstump is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 902
Default 'Ol' Paint' is no more.... :-(

Well, after 15 years, 'Ol' paint' has been put out to pasture. sad. bittersweet. tragic.

I blame Eurekazone for this change of venue for 'Ol' Paint', but after getting my EZ equip. about a year ago, 'Ol' Paint just didn't get used- at all- none- zip- nada-- well, that is, except as a really great work table.

So, the decision was made to send 'Ol' Paint' to greener pastures. Took a while, but finally found a new master for the beast. Sad to see 'em go- but totally pumped at the same time..... let the sawdust fly!!
Rick

Have a great EZ weekend everyone!!

pic one is of 'Ol' Paint' in his 'glory days'; pic two is of the empty real estate now that he's gone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unisaw 2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	4350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Paint is no more.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	4351  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
toollovingschultz toollovingschultz is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north carolina
Posts: 765
Default

Rick you really need to put this post on the woodworking talk forum. the reaction should be intresting. Most woodworkers would never believe you can give up the table saw and get anythihg done
Andy

Last edited by toollovingschultz; 02-17-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
bumpnstump bumpnstump is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toollovingschultz View Post
Rick you really need to put this post on the woodworking talk forum. the reaction should be intresting. Most woodworkers would never beleive you can give up the table saw and get anythihg done
Andy
Great idea, Andy, but not sure I've got the huevos for that one.
But, if someone else does it, I'll be interested in the outcome.
Rick
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM
toollovingschultz toollovingschultz is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north carolina
Posts: 765
Default

Rick I have posted that I sold off my 3 portable table saws and gave my Dad the delta contractors saw with the t-2 fence. I got a little hassle over it because I stated it took a year to fully wrap my mind over the new concept of the easy tools and move on from the table saw, but my last post of some of the trim work on the lake james house with the tapers cut on the power bench for the occulas got some thumbs up. Be brave the more of us who speak up the better.

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Adaptive Soul Adaptive Soul is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 65
Default

It's a very powerful endorsement whenever pros say that the table saw has been totally replaced as a tool. As a hobbyist, I put off woodworking for a long time because I was aware of the dangers of the table saw. What I never fully realized was that there are pros that acknowledge that there's a pretty good degree of risk at all times, even if you remember ALL of the the precautions ALL of the time. I'm having the time of my life with the EZ system and I wish I had it much earlier in life. I also value when the pros take the time to demonstrate and showcase their EZ work and technique. It helps me because information for techniques using table saws and router tables are pretty easy to find and sometimes I'm tempted by the clarity of explanation. I don't want that temptation. I want to do it the EZ way. So, I just want to say thank you to everyone who takes the time out to educate, especially the pros.
__________________

Michael

Last edited by Adaptive Soul; 02-17-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: change "routers" to "router tables"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM
bumpnstump bumpnstump is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toollovingschultz View Post
Rick I have posted that I sold off my 3 portable table saws and gave my Dad the delta contractors saw with the t-2 fence. I got a little hassle over it because I stated it took a year to fully wrap my mind over the new concept of the easy tools and move on from the table saw, but my last post of some of the trim work on the lake james house with the tapers cut on the power bench for the occulas got some thumbs up. Be brave the more of us who speak up the better.

Andy
I hear you, Andy. I, too, am 'evangelizing' the guys in my circle, and it's interesting, to say the least, to hear the responses that come back as a result. I've found that the easiest people to reach are those who have the least experience with woodworking tools- their prejudices haven't been firmly established yet.
The old timer's either scoff, or, tell me something along the lines of, "that's nice- for you". A few go a bit deeper, but you can see them put the brakes on when they start to process the fact that working with EZ is contrary to how they've been thinking, and now, they're going to have to have a re-think. I really can't blame them- it took me a bit of time to 'change tracks', as it were, when I started with EZ. Once I finally dove in, mentally, I found an infectious enthusiasm in using the EZ tools/concepts that 'sucked' me in. Now, I've got the 'EZ sickness': I can't turn my brain off re. how to use EZ for everything. LOL (My wife did put the brakes on my stunning idea of using a small piece of track with the elec. bread knife mounted on it, to slice the bread...... (joke, guys, joke- I may be crazy, but I'm not that far gone yet.....))
Anyway, I'm guessing that most of us EZ users are experiencing similar stories. I'm glad my tablesaw is gone; I'm thankful for the many years of good use it gave me, and the things I was able to do with it; I'm also very thankful for what EZ is allowing me to accomplish; and, for all those who are using their tablesaws, I wish them the best, and safest, success.
Life is good.
Rick
'Evangelism': one beggar showing another beggar where he found bread.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Randal Stevenson Randal Stevenson is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Home of Harry Truman.
Posts: 1,224
Default

So you didn't pull a Burt?

When he went to sell his saw (either last or second to last), he showed off the EZ and they left, not with the saw, but the information to order the EZ stuff.

My saw is up for sale, when it warms up (garage sale time). I probably could have sold or given it away Wednesday, as a friend (andWenesday customers) daughter, came up and said she was supposed to show me her cabinet door. Her husband now wants a shop, as they had no woodworking experience and wanted to show me what they did. I made one suggestion which completely walked around a mistake they don't know they made and I think her father caught it, but my way of saying to do something, allows correction and change. But I also gave them the Eurekazone name, and information on how to find it, as well as how far it could be broken down (young couple, small space).
I offered to long term loan all my ez stuff, away a few years back. A friends 95 year old grandfather, cut off his fingers on his table saw. I also provided him with all the information about the Sawstop, as it was easily within his budget. He took up neither option, and gramps, did realize his mind was sharp, but he was slowing down.
If EZ's instructions would have been better, I could have sold a few more over the years. Most people have told me they don't have time to mess with it and relearn. I think unless one is starting out, one should keep their old equipment for a bit, as it doesn't come naturally overnight.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 AM
bumpnstump bumpnstump is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
So you didn't pull a Burt?

When he went to sell his saw (either last or second to last), he showed off the EZ and they left, not with the saw, but the information to order the EZ stuff.

My saw is up for sale, when it warms up (garage sale time). I probably could have sold or given it away Wednesday, as a friend (andWenesday customers) daughter, came up and said she was supposed to show me her cabinet door. Her husband now wants a shop, as they had no woodworking experience and wanted to show me what they did. I made one suggestion which completely walked around a mistake they don't know they made and I think her father caught it, but my way of saying to do something, allows correction and change. But I also gave them the Eurekazone name, and information on how to find it, as well as how far it could be broken down (young couple, small space).
I offered to long term loan all my ez stuff, away a few years back. A friends 95 year old grandfather, cut off his fingers on his table saw. I also provided him with all the information about the Sawstop, as it was easily within his budget. He took up neither option, and gramps, did realize his mind was sharp, but he was slowing down.
If EZ's instructions would have been better, I could have sold a few more over the years. Most people have told me they don't have time to mess with it and relearn. I think unless one is starting out, one should keep their old equipment for a bit, as it doesn't come naturally overnight.

Good insight and approach, Randall.
Whenever possible, I try to show the potential EZ prospects, instead of just telling them, what the EZ does.
Even with that approach, many are dubious that it will work for them.
sigh....
Rick
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Dino Dino is offline
Master Carpenter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edison NJ
Posts: 5,129
Default

guys, yesterday I had to use a tablesaw setup.
don't ask but i had no space or time to set anything.

after the cut I was talking to myself.
why people do stupid things like that?

I think is the RUSH that keep us going back.
Imagine the feeling after making a cut without any major problem?
__________________
ycf dino
eurekazone.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Burt Burt is offline
Moderator - Cabinet Making
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,682
Default

Randal,

That was the last Unisaw. It sure is good for a laugh now.


Rick,

That is a giant step. You'll see a few times you wished you had the saw back but you'll work thru and very shortly the space will be full of more EZ stuff.

A couple weeks ago, I took down 3 PBB's only to make two more PBB's and 2 smart tables. My traveling set is almost complete. The little EZ, It's little brother the cross cutter and it's little sister the smart table.

I've been messing with this stuff for 7 or 8 years and I still feel like it is a dream. I never imagined that I would have the luxury of working with the head of a tool company who was willing to listen and share ideas with me. Thanks Dino.



Burt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.