The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM

Default EZ Shop design...decision time

We are building our retirement home (and my shop) in the very near future. I'm lobbying for 600-800 sq ft. with a double garage door and a large electric service.

Is an EZ ONE shop layout much different than a shop with a tablesaw as the primary tool?

My stationary tools include:

Lathe, drill press, 6" jointer, 14" bandsaw, router table, and EZ ONE.

What layout works for y'all?

Last edited by Jeff Freelove; 01-27-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Freelove View Post
We are building our retirement home (and my shop) in the very near future. I'm lobbying for 600-800 sq ft. with a double garage door and a large electric service.

Poor Jeff,
After all years in the service you have to lobby for your shop?

Is an EZ ONE shop layout much different than a shop with a tablesaw as the primary tool?

My stationary tools include:

Lathe, drill press, 6" jointer, 14" bandsaw, router table, and EZ ONE.

What layout works for y'all?
Here is the ez-shop.
http://www.more4you.com/Gallery/index.html
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Default Heart of the shop

Thanks Dino. The EZ One is the heart of the shop.

I'm thinking the Smart table could be used to breakdown ply or stage it for cabinet carcasses. Position it close to the EZ-1 or put casters on it? Or do you use a rolling lumber storage rack and omit the Smart table altogether?

DC ducts along the side and back walls to make clean up easier. Locate the DC at the overhead door so I don't have to drag it thru the shop to empty it and the Makita lunchbox planer can be used outdoors with a DC hose attached.

I think the compressor should be close to the overhead door too. But still run copper air lines behind the stationary tools and work bench.

Bottomline: What works best in a medium sized (600-800 sf) cabinet shop?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Jeff,

I've closed my commerical shop and am working on a shop of about 400 square feet for a retirement shop. I stayed away from the garage door and went for a double door setup. In my commerical shop I have a garage door and closing the air holes around it proved to be impossible.

I'm going to use the little smart table that I posted recently in my shop. The top is 21x 36 at its smallest and the extrusions in the top work great for clamping and assembly. I can add the wood strips when I need them and have a table that is about 7' x 3'. I am using this instead of a traditional work bench. I started out with a 5' x 2' setup that extends to about 14 feet but it is to large to mannuver around easily.

My emphasis is on light and portable for the EZ Stuff. The Main power bench will be close to the size of the EZ One but with some different turns.

I"ve just finished a small cross cutter 40" x 16" that expands to a little over 5' long.

Also I have multiple SSRK's. Cabinet Maker's, Ueg's, squares and I think I am down to one RipSizer. I also have a good selection of traditional tools.

I've been working on a router table for months. Somehow I just can't get it right. I think I may be trying to put to much into one table.

Burt
Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 PM

I have every tool and cabinet (including EZ-1 ) on lockable casters. Thus I can position as needed for a given project
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I have every tool and cabinet (including EZ-1 ) on lockable casters. Thus I can position as needed for a given project
Glenn, send me some pictures and info here.
looks like the casters are becoming popular.

tx
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I've done that for years. Being able to move all the stuff in the shop sure makes life easier. You can choose to work by the open door or near the AC unit.

Burt
Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Glenn, send me some pictures and info here.
looks like the casters are becoming popular.

tx
+1 on the EZ1 casters
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 AM

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&site=ROCKLER These are the casters I use. They lock both ways, the swivel and the roll. I will take some picture tomorrow
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 PM

Default Shop size

Looks like they will be ready to pour the foundation in 60 days. The first detail is size. Going with a 24'x32' slab and 9' (or 10'?) walls. The pitch will be 6/12 or steeper to make the HOA happy. We'll add windows on the gable for light and on the sides for ventilation.