The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Default New Leigh Dove Tail Jig

Guys,

I have been looking for a good but inexpensive dove tail jig for quite a while. I would love to have a Leigh jig but they are just too expensive for little I will use it. Just saw this ad from Rockler for the new Leigh R9+ jig for $149. I'm tempted, anybody have any knowledge of this product? Also found this video and some others, but I haven't watched them all yet. So far I'm very tempted, I like being able to make my own setup but having the quality and accuracy of Leigh jigs too.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Santa brought me the 12" Leigh Super-Jig this year. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but the set-up and assembly was very easy. Fun, even.

The manual that ships with it is spectacularly good. It's what EZ should be striving for. If the EZ1 came with a manual like that, Dino would be an instant millionaire!

In the tech industry there is a term for the first experience a user has with a product, OOBE (out-of-box experience). My OOBE with the Leigh stuff was very, very impressive.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 AM

Default Incra

I got the Incra Super LS system. Much more expensive ($375.) than the jigs you are talking about but accuracy beyond belief! Much more versatile than just a dovetail jig. I cut box joints, and some very nice joints and edging. My cope and rail joints are right on the money. I have a Triton router on lift under that plate. I absolutely love my set up.

I have a Rockler dovetail set up, used 2 times to try it out. Bought the Incra and boxed the Rockler up. Probably should sell it but the shipping makes it not too worth while.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Default Oobe

I have to say that the documentation for Incra is among the best anywhere. A full book with guides, DVD that covers every phase, and operation, plus there is a person that is will answer every email.

Oddly there isn't too much difference between EZ and Incra (except -- answer every email). The product is so unique, and so versatile, you have to get the product on the floor of your shop and start working with it to understand. There are too many mind bending experiences to truly understand what is being said when they describe it. I thought Mark at Incra would believe me to be a dummy, but that was not the case, I was pretty much standard. Incra must have come to the conclusion that the documents are valuable (there is a charge if you want more) though optional, and they put a price on them. Frequently the documentation is part of the deal, but sometimes it is an option and extra charge.

That is one case for the other dovetail jigs. We all pretty much understand them and how to use one. Nothing hidden or radically new.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Phil,

I guess I need to break out my old Incra documentation and see what is involved in doing dove tails. I have a much older Incra system that doesn't get used except to position my router table fence.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Banned

That reminds me of the Stots jig, that I want to play with at some point. I figure one could make their own fingers and use a section of SME to make it adjustable.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
That reminds me of the Stots jig, that I want to play with at some point. I figure one could make their own fingers and use a section of SME to make it adjustable.
Randal,
The Stots jig was the first dovetail jig I bought and the only one I have used to date (I have the General Tools Dovetail Pro but haven't used it since I got it 2 years ago ---- just collecting cool tools I guess ). With the Stots jig I was able to make a template wide enough to do dovetails on 24" wide panels for a cedar chest. The template worked great. You can make a variety of templates with the jig so you have a template for each particular project without having to reset things. The new Leigh R9 jig looks like it took some inspiration from the Stots jig due to its expandability for a variety of widths.

Joe
Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Randal,

I was thinking that with the R9 I could replace the holes and clamps with an SME and EZ Clamps.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Tags
dove tail, dovetail, jig, leigh