The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Default bifocals

Ran into a friend today who is a cabinetmaker. He knows I'm remodeling my house so we got talking about this and that. I mentioned how much harder it is to do things now that I need bifocals and mentioned my pet theory that old folks don't fall or crash because of balance problems rather it's their bi (or tri) focals trying to kill them with changing focal lengths screwing you up. My friend wears bifocals also and showed me his glasses, he not only has close up correction at the bottom but also a band at the top. He said he's always got his head stuck in a cabinet trying to look up to put in screws and couldn't see what he was doing so he came up with this solution. Looked like a pretty cool idea but I'm sure it'd take a while to get use to. Anyway I thought it was interesting
Old 01-25-2012, 05:54 PM

I have an electrician friend who did the same thing so he could see the wiring overhead. I'd never drive with them tho
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 PM

I just made the transition from single vision to progressives a couple weeks ago. I feel the pain!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 AM

I still have some problems and may need a lazer touch up I hope. Driving glasses are ok and work fine. Then without any one foot or so is really good after that there is a little blur. Reading glasses maybe needed soon for the small print.

I only see from one eye and tried the progresive and had to change to straight lense drove me nuts lol.

Will see the doc in March lets hope he can make it right.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Ran into a friend today who is a cabinetmaker. He knows I'm remodeling my house so we got talking about this and that. I mentioned how much harder it is to do things now that I need bifocals and mentioned my pet theory that old folks don't fall or crash because of balance problems rather it's their bi (or tri) focals trying to kill them with changing focal lengths screwing you up. My friend wears bifocals also and showed me his glasses, he not only has close up correction at the bottom but also a band at the top. He said he's always got his head stuck in a cabinet trying to look up to put in screws and couldn't see what he was doing so he came up with this solution. Looked like a pretty cool idea but I'm sure it'd take a while to get use to. Anyway I thought it was interesting
If you don't mind me asking how did he get bifocals like this? I thankfully don't need them yet (36) but my boss (53) has recently had to get bifocals and we both work in maintenance I see him struggle a lot especially when he needs to look up inside a machine.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondoom88 View Post
If you don't mind me asking how did he get bifocals like this? I thankfully don't need them yet (36) but my boss (53) has recently had to get bifocals and we both work in maintenance I see him struggle a lot especially when he needs to look up inside a machine.
Most every glasses place will make them for you if you ask them. Since it's not a common item, they usually don't advertise that they can/will do it.
I've bought some generic readers from these guys with this feature: readers in the top as well as the bottom:
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/
Rick
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM

Thats cool will look into them when I need them thanks for info.

Eyes or vision loss over the years is really a pain and you have know idea how it is till it happens to you.

I will try and get a pair to work for me but I can tell you this is a pain in the you know what.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks! I'll let the boss know tomorrow.