The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM

It is the adjustable speed model I have with the carrying case. Who would pay full price at "HF"? I always look for cases to save the tools from getting beat up in the truck. I'm sure the Fein is a good tool and may vibrate less and might even last longer. But I still can't justify that type of money for a vibrator and mandatory use of proprietary blades, some of which go for $59.99 and $69.99 each which I think is crazy. Besides it would cut into my EZ budget!
You have to judge each tool and how you use it individually. Kreg does make a nice pocket hole jig(of which I have several models) but I would not buy a Kreg jig for ripping sheets just to save some money. But to undercut a couple of pieces of molding on a tile job or shorten a piece of trim that's already installed, Chicago Tools does the trick!

Bruce Hough (EZ Thief)
EZ One PBB, 27" Ripsizer, Cabinetmaker w/extra repeater, PBB to STK, STK, Dual SSRK w/stops, SRK, 1-72" EZ Track, 2-50" EZ Tracks, 36", 24" EZ Tracks, EZ Miter Square w/Handle, 2 Sets Smart Clamps w/upgrade, Long Smart Clamps, Makita 5008 MGA CS w/dust collector and shield, Hilti WSC 267-E, DIY SPK and a UEG!!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Bruce,

Next time you are on a jobsite and see someone using the fien ask them is you can pick it up and turn it on. That is all you will need to know.

Burt
I agree I have both (Fein first and HF to loan out). The HF works ok but the Fein is worth the extra for if used much, or have hand problems. And the Fein metal+wood universal blades last a whole lot longer than the other brands of blade that I've tried (A big difference ). The wood blades last a little longer than other blades. I have not tried the Imperial blades.

If you use the Fein a lot the blades get pretty reasonable in price in packs of 10 or 20. But who uses it that much
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Speaking of cases, does anyone have any leads for a good case for my Makita 5008 MGA? I'm in the process of designing and building one out of 1/2" plywood because I haven't found a case to protect it while it's in the truck. Makita doesn't offer one and most that I have found are for 7 1/2" CS's. I was able to modify my PC CS case so I can carry it with the smart base installed with upgraded smart clamps, AC-1's and AC-2's all in the case.

Should I make this a separate post?

Bruce Hough (EZ Thief)
EZ One PBB, 27" Ripsizer, Cabinetmaker w/extra repeater, PBB to STK, STK, Dual SSRK w/stops, SRK, 1-72" EZ Track, 2-50" EZ Tracks, 36", 24" EZ Tracks, EZ Miter Square w/Handle, 2 Sets Smart Clamps w/upgrade, Long Smart Clamps, Makita 5008 MGA CS w/dust collector and shield, Hilti WSC 267-E, DIY SPK and a UEG!!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Beck View Post
I agree I have both (Fein first and HF to loan out). The HF works ok but the Fein is worth the extra for if used much, or have hand problems. And the Fein metal+wood universal blades last a whole lot longer than the other brands of blade that I've tried (A big difference ). The wood blades last a little longer than other blades. I have not tried the Imperial blades.

If you use the Fein a lot the blades get pretty reasonable in price in packs of 10 or 20. But who uses it that much
Mel the imperial bi metal storm blade is totally awesome! I have demoed a whole kitchen with one and kept on going. I have used the sonicrafter and the multimaster side by side all day and other than easier blade changes on the fein found no other benefits. i started a hard wood floor this week and cut dadoes in 8 by 8 post so we don't need shoe mold i cut around 12 postin 1/2 hour and the blade still looked new
Andy

Last edited by toollovingschultz; 02-14-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhough56 View Post
Speaking of cases, does anyone have any leads for a good case for my Makita 5008 MGA? I'm in the process of designing and building one out of 1/2" plywood because I haven't found a case to protect it while it's in the truck. Makita doesn't offer one and most that I have found are for 7 1/2" CS's. I was able to modify my PC CS case so I can carry it with the smart base installed with upgraded smart clamps, AC-1's and AC-2's all in the case.

Should I make this a separate post?
Bruce,

I think it would get more attention as a separate post.

Burt
Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Beck View Post
I agree I have both (Fein first and HF to loan out).
I do.
I've got two of the Fein's and thinking of getting a third. I buy blades 10-20 at a time. Sometimes, I also resharpen them- works great, depending on the blade.
I've tried almost every blade out there, except for the new Imperial (gold colored one).
Some of the best blades I've found come from here:
http://www.multiblades.com/index.html
Owners name is Al; ships fast; price is right; blades are great.
I've found that the Chinese blades don't hold up as well as ones made in the states or in Germany when subjected to serious work.
The Imperial guys are great! They want you to call them and suggest blades you'd like to see. They'll also deal with you if you call them and want to buy quantity. Very personable.
The Fein bi-metallic blade is quite a performer; I'm thinking that the new Imperial gold probably beats it tho. When I've gone thru my remaining ka-zillion blades, I'll order some.

Also, I've improvised tools for my Fein to do things one normally doesn't think about. Had one job a couple of years ago where I loaned both tools to my painter, outfitted them with the Fein caulk removal blades (hooked end), had him pull all of the old caulking out of the ext. siding on an ancient wood house, blew his mind, as well as the homeowners, when he got done- the job looked so good.
Using a worn out blade is the best asphalt shingle cutting/separating tool I've ever seen. When I have to cut-in for skylights, the Fein does the shingle work quickly.
I abuse my Fein as much as possible, and it never gives up.
I like my Fein.
Rick
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
I do.
I've got two of the Fein's and thinking of getting a third. I buy blades 10-20 at a time. Sometimes, I also resharpen them- works great, depending on the blade.
I've tried almost every blade out there, except for the new Imperial (gold colored one).
Some of the best blades I've found come from here:
http://www.multiblades.com/index.html
Owners name is Al; ships fast; price is right; blades are great.
I've found that the Chinese blades don't hold up as well as ones made in the states or in Germany when subjected to serious work.
The Imperial guys are great! They want you to call them and suggest blades you'd like to see. They'll also deal with you if you call them and want to buy quantity. Very personable.
The Fein bi-metallic blade is quite a performer; I'm thinking that the new Imperial gold probably beats it tho. When I've gone thru my remaining ka-zillion blades, I'll order some.

Also, I've improvised tools for my Fein to do things one normally doesn't think about. Had one job a couple of years ago where I loaned both tools to my painter, outfitted them with the Fein caulk removal blades (hooked end), had him pull all of the old caulking out of the ext. siding on an ancient wood house, blew his mind, as well as the homeowners, when he got done- the job looked so good.
Using a worn out blade is the best asphalt shingle cutting/separating tool I've ever seen. When I have to cut-in for skylights, the Fein does the shingle work quickly.
I abuse my Fein as much as possible, and it never gives up.
I like my Fein.
Rick

Sounds like I'm not getting as much use out of my multi-tool as I could. It certainly is a useful little tool. I never thought to use it on shingles. Maybe we should start a post on uses for the multi-tool. Then I'll have to upgrade to a Fein for sure! Also never heard of a caulk removal blade, definitely going to look into that also. Thanks for the ideas Rick!

Bruce Hough (EZ Thief)
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

Rick,

What blades do you know of, that you can't feel the teeth from the bottom (for things like trimming kreg plugs, flush trimming, etc)?

My dad is wanting ones like a Japanese saw, for the times when he has arm troubles.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 AM

Lots of good ideas Rick! great post-
Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
Rick,

What blades do you know of, that you can't feel the teeth from the bottom (for things like trimming kreg plugs, flush trimming, etc)?

My dad is wanting ones like a Japanese saw, for the times when he has arm troubles.
Randal
You might try this one http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/E-CU...n-E-Cut-Blades
It's available in single row or double row teeth.