The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Sound System Cabinetwork

Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Default SRK Addon for Cutting Small Circles

I thought I'd lost the pictures of this and couldn't take new ones as the base that attaches to the router was broken a few years ago when a friend borrowed my router. But I found them and here's my first attempt at a solution for a SRK add on that allows cutting circles down to the sizes required for tweeters.

Only allows 4 photos per post so rest of the images will be in the next post.

Basically it's a simple base for the router that has a T slot routed into it. Then then another piece that attaches to the SRK slider that has a T track that fits into the T slot on the router. It can be mounted in 2 places, one for getting the circle center pin under the router base and one for when the pin won't be under the router base.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 PM

Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Good info Dustin.

I think the SSRK is a great tool for many things but the jasper circle cutter to me is top dog.

I agree with Dino good Idea Dustin I'm sure Dino will take it one step further and make the slider longer
for bigger hole cutting. If you can find a way to bridge the track with an insert so the slider could be longer.

Last edited by bigjohn1; 08-22-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Default For circles I like

For circles I like the Micro Fence units. They make a circle and ellipse unit that will go up to 13 foot in diameter. There is a product that will specifically work like the SSRK on EZ track. The drown side for some of us, is that the MicroFence product is only for small laminate trimmers like the Bosch Colt and similar products. If you have to make some very close tolerance routing the Micro Fence is the way to go.

I tried to get them to make a unit for my larger Bosch router and they would not do it. actually seemed annoyed that I even asked.

Phil
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
For circles I like the Micro Fence units. They make a circle and ellipse unit that will go up to 13 foot in diameter. There is a product that will specifically work like the SSRK on EZ track. The drown side for some of us, is that the MicroFence product is only for small laminate trimmers like the Bosch Colt and similar products. If you have to make some very close tolerance routing the Micro Fence is the way to go.

I tried to get them to make a unit for my larger Bosch router and they would not do it. actually seemed annoyed that I even asked.

Phil
Will have a look at it Phil being it has two option.
The jasper is pretty good though 1/16" steps no guess work and would be hard to get me to change from this puppy.

Phil I just looked at it and looks pretty good also looks like a lot of setup to start with but see it has micro ajustment.

jasper is about 50 or 60 bucks the micro fence is 159 I don't see why it should cost what it does in any case there is a choice to be made.

I think the jasper is like EZ simple stupid kinda how it was made when you see it you think wow thats so friggin simple. And it works great I have there small and large.

Last edited by bigjohn1; 08-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Default There is a choice but. . .

I am sure we could argue this forever, but it probably depends on some very personal goals. I like absolute precision. I am not a good enough craftsman to match or repeat without help. I have the Incra & EZ Systems for that reason. The MicroFence has dial in precision to .001 which is a bit short of Incra, but good enough. The machining on the MicroFence is solid, like the Dowelmax. I just can't seem to break my attraction to solid durable, tank like construction. If you have to cut a table top or a sign board in a circle or ellipse you will need all the solid you can get. An ellipse that is lop sided or a bit flat on one part, of a total 8 foot sign, hanging up for the entire world to see -- let's just say you want it right. My son owns a sign shop and the MicroFence won out over others on repeatability. We have had to retrofit damaged or "changed" signs. If you have to make repair retro fit parts, all of the precise dial in control will matter -- well at least to me it does. "I just ain't that good." My dad at 82 can probably outdo anything I can ever come up with. Dad is one of those woodworkers with 70 years under his belt -- he can tap a board on a wall or rail and tell you if it is nailed too tight ( I did not know you could do that) or if the carpenter used screws or nails. Totally intimidating and annoying. So I will go with my jigs and tools and hide when real craftsmen are around.

Phil
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin B View Post
It can be mounted in 2 places, one for getting the circle center pin under the router base and one for when the pin won't be under the router base.
Dustin, great idea and when the time is right we will incorporate
your idea to the SSRK.
tx

d
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Very clever! I have two Jasper's the small one for tweets (400) and the bigger one(200) for subs.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
I am sure we could argue this forever, but it probably depends on some very personal goals. I like absolute precision. I am not a good enough craftsman to match or repeat without help. I have the Incra & EZ Systems for that reason. The MicroFence has dial in precision to .001 which is a bit short of Incra, but good enough. The machining on the MicroFence is solid, like the Dowelmax. I just can't seem to break my attraction to solid durable, tank like construction. If you have to cut a table top or a sign board in a circle or ellipse you will need all the solid you can get. An ellipse that is lop sided or a bit flat on one part, of a total 8 foot sign, hanging up for the entire world to see -- let's just say you want it right. My son owns a sign shop and the MicroFence won out over others on repeatability. We have had to retrofit damaged or "changed" signs. If you have to make repair retro fit parts, all of the precise dial in control will matter -- well at least to me it does. "I just ain't that good." My dad at 82 can probably outdo anything I can ever come up with. Dad is one of those woodworkers with 70 years under his belt -- he can tap a board on a wall or rail and tell you if it is nailed too tight ( I did not know you could do that) or if the carpenter used screws or nails. Totally intimidating and annoying. So I will go with my jigs and tools and hide when real craftsmen are around.

Phil
Yes Phil for you I agree the micro fence in a good choice right tool for the job as said here many times.
I think it looks great and just like the dowel jig and would like to have both I just don't have the deep pockets for a single action tool at a lesser price I would have both for sure kinda like a champain taste on a beer budget.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:01 AM

I gotta give John a big +1 on this. We are in the speaker forum, so cutting ellipses and such doesn't really factor in here. The jasper jig is unbeatable for cutting circles and disks. It is dead on accurate with no measuring. Super simple to use and other than mounting it on the router, takes zero setup time. If I had another router, I would leave it on there all the time.

None of this is meant to take away from the original poster. Your idea is awesome!

Last edited by jswingchun; 08-23-2012 at 11:03 AM.