The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Sound System Cabinetwork

Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Who's working on what?

Since we've got a place to discuss our speaker cabinets, I figured this could be a chance for people to talk about what sort of audio-related projects they are working on, or what they want to work on next.

I've probably built one of each as far as subwoofer cabinet types go, sealed, ported, bandpass, horn, tapped horn, you name it. Lately, I've been playing with horns and tapped horns. I'm currently working far too much at my day job, and don't have enough day left to get much done in the shop. I have two audio-related projects I am working on currently. The first is a tapped horn sub loaded with a 15" driver. The second is a full-range speaker similar to a unity horn.

Who's doing what? Share your projects!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpiechowski View Post
Since we've got a place to discuss our speaker cabinets, I figured this could be a chance for people to talk about what sort of audio-related projects they are working on, or what they want to work on next.

I've probably built one of each as far as subwoofer cabinet types go, sealed, ported, bandpass, horn, tapped horn, you name it. Lately, I've been playing with horns and tapped horns. I'm currently working far too much at my day job, and don't have enough day left to get much done in the shop. I have two audio-related projects I am working on currently. The first is a tapped horn sub loaded with a 15" driver. The second is a full-range speaker similar to a unity horn.

Who's doing what? Share your projects!
Good to hear MF I am knew to speaker building and don't really know why things are made so many ways.I do know what sounds good and what does'nt well at least to me lol. I have not looked at to many other places then BFM Style speakers but I gues we will now that I have more to tap into for info.

What I have on the go right now and it just needs duratec applyed is a BFM tuba18 with dual 8" drivers and no crossover full range sub.
Will have pics soon near done and it came out ok not great but ok learned a lot from it.

What I would like to make next is a wedgehorn 6" from BFM stage monitor for the karaoke singers that can't stay in tune because they tell me I can't hear my voice. I told them all mics sound a little different some depending where they are set sounds like your voice comes back at you and I guess they like that.

Then maybe some monitors for home pc not sure.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 PM

John,

Easiest answer? There are a lot of ways to get to the same place, and there are a lot of different speakers out there. Speaker drivers have specifications, and some combinations of these specifications work well in some types of cabinets. I've built a few of these, and I enjoy the results. Other combinations? Not so good. I've built plenty like this too. At least the cabinets can warm up the shop in the winter when I feed them to the wood stove.

There is a lot of math, and in many cases, computer simulation in getting a cabinet design "right". Measurements can be used to prove that, or try to figure out what went wrong. There is also plenty of math and computer simulation involved in getting a crossover right. For a proper crossover, measurements are required. Measurements are a fundamental step in the hobby, because without them, there is no data, only opinions.

Lots more to discuss than I was ever intending to cover in this thread. Kind of wanted to just open up the discussion, get to know the people here and see who's doing what.

Mike
Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 PM

MFP, I'm sure there is many reason's why speakers work the way they do and I guess will learn along the way.

Thanks for input.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:29 AM

Mike, I'm sure you have heard of Bill Fitzmaurice and his site. A lot of the speaker building guys on this forum have come over from there. I can't speak for the rest of them, but I build Bill's plans and let him do all the work you mentioned in your post. I appreciate folks who can design their own boxes, but I don't have the time or drive to dedicate to learning all of that.

That said, I am just finishing up a set of PA tops and subs. These cabs match to cabs I built a couple of years ago, so I am doubling my system. I built Bill's OmniTop 12s with a flat melded piezo tweeter array, loaded with Eminence Deltalite 2512s. The subs are T39s at a whopping 28" width and loaded with 3012lfs.

Cabs are finished, just have to leak test them then set up all the processing gear. Doing all of that tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM

I learned of Fitzmaurice through reading his articles when they were first published in Speaker Builder magazine. I started down the horn sub path over at Fitzmaurice's site years ago. I've bought several sets of his plans and I've built a few of his designs. They worked as advertised, and when they did not, the errors were mine. His plans are fairly complete, and they are definitely easy to follow. I'll freely admit that following some one else's design is far easier than rolling your own when it comes to a folded horn sub.

Since none of the cabinet plans Bill was offering matched the performance criteria and size requirements I was after, I learned how to make my own. I'm still wandering down that path.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM

Default Leak test

Js, How do you go about checking for leaks I heard no weard sounds like air puffing from any area lol is there a better way to be sure.

I have so mutch PL on there it better not leak.

Now as I think mike was talking about performance I know bills plans are not for Hi fedelity sound and I'm not sure it is better if so. I guess his plans are more for the pro or live sound and I also use a set of k12's from qsc witch cost about a thousand each for a 12" speaker but I bet the DR200 or DR250 would blow the doors off of them will see down the road.

A lot of times its not so mutch the speaker's its wear you put them for each room having a good amp that can look after your high's med's and lows would go a long way in getting good results from less of a speaker.

I really do think mutch of the home sterio systems at one time I owned a 7 thousand dollar home system made by Rotel witch had a good name and yes the sound was pretty good till I started DJing my pro DJ system for half the price blows the rotel system out of the water.

I like Bills because he helps other make really good sound at a third of the price to buy anything close.

I also know what sounds good to one persons ear may not sound good to another. I find all the numbers involved is a lot to take in for sure.

Last edited by bigjohn1; 08-25-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

BJ,

At one time, I had a huge sound system - now it is several more conservative systems.

If I recall correctly, the human ear can only hear up to about 21,000 hz. The other night I was looking at amazon and noticed some speakers rated for 50,000 hz. Isn't that a waste since we can't hear to those levels? Maybe the dog would enjoy it!

Burt
Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
BJ,

At one time, I had a huge sound system - now it is several more conservative systems.

If I recall correctly, the human ear can only hear up to about 21,000 hz. The other night I was looking at amazon and noticed some speakers rated for 50,000 hz. Isn't that a waste since we can't hear to those levels? Maybe the dog would enjoy it!

Burt
Yes some numbers get way out there don't they. I'm sure like most things we buy more then we need. I'm still trying to retain all this Hz,watts,volts,DB and many others
Old 08-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
BJ,

Burt
Yes I believe you are correct its around the 20k for cut off, varies by individual I'm sure but there are some people that love that extra sizzle.