The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Sound System Cabinetwork

Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Default Speaker Baffle

This is in reference to a bass speaker baffle in a folded horn design.

The included image depicts the baffles construction. One problem with folded horns is the resonant vibrations exerted in the chamber due to the immense pressure they generate This particular design has a simple circle cut out to offset the speaker. I was wondering if doubling up on wood instead or maybe better yet a torsion box design for increased rigidity. This just maybe an exercise in futility but I would welcome any input on the subject. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baffle.jpg (88.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 AM

The biggest issue I see with the torsion box is the cost of the space it requires. The more wood in the box, the less room there is for the horn, and the lower the efficiency of the finished product.

Another thing to consider is that the cavities in the torsion box will resonate as well, and may do so at higher frequencies. Perhaps a double-thick baffle would be a better idea?

I typically use 3/4" ply (arauco or better, void-free) for my baffles when I use 12" or 15" drivers. I brace things as well as I can. The smaller drivers might get 1/2", but I am not using 1/2" ply as often as I used to, as measurements have shown me that 3/4" is a better choice. Since I am not moving my stuff that often (mostly home theater), the weight is a non-issue, so I go for as strong a cabinet as I can build.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 AM

I would say the best place would be at BFM forum and if his plans tell you the best way to go you can trust in the plans without re thinking what can be done. It has also been shown buy Bill that a 12" speaker can out do the 15" or 18" made in the right way they eve make speakers with lots of bracing from 1/4" ply. So now a days 3/4" is not really needed but with more braces added may end up being the same weight I'm not sure.

This is from what ever I have read in Bills CD of plans and witch many pros out there are happy and glad they went with BFM plans.

And also must say it's not just the box you make but the speaker's you use.

Hope this helps.