The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Old 05-01-2011, 04:00 PM

How common is it to have the 'kick' portion built into each cabinet rather than have it as a separate piece? Seems to me it'd be easier if you had a long 'kick' spacer that you set and leveled first then set the cabs on top. Of course doing it that way all your cabs would have to be square and the same height.
I wonder if those little feet on the ez-level would eventually sink into the subfloor? Someone spent some time thinking when they developed that system.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Master Carpenter

ez. that idea and invention is a good one.
even if i have my own way to install cab's ( 1000's )
it pays for many reasons. forget the time and money.
at the end you have a job well done.

when I do my kitchen ( this summer) I will post a video of
another way but the ez leveling system is better.

good luck to the inventor.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 PM

Dino to me its a way to make it ez for the non professional or the doit yourself person to install cabinets so the professional is no longer needed.then because the cost of manufacture is higher due to the purchase of the leveling system the installer gets paid less he no longer has to be as skilled. I guess it fits in with labor trends. sorry I just have seen this happen as a way to pay the craftsman less money.
andy
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Maybe it's the engineer in me but those levelers look slick although I don't like the tiny load bearing footprint. I'm just an EZ-guy currently building cabinets for our kitchen. The floor under my 20' x 15' "L-wall" of base cabinets was within 1/4" - not bad. But, we are also building a 5' x 10' island and it was off by about 1/2". I'm using a separate toe-kick with flat bottomed boxes. What I did was put the toe-kick frames in place and used a laser level to mark how much I needed to take off each corner of the toe-kick frames. I then took my EZ-track and trimmed the bottoms. Worked perfect - now I have a perfectly level top w/o shims. ( I did make sure the out of level was a constant slope and not just local high spots)

Mike

Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 05-01-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

I'm not a fan of the leveling system. I felt like screaming you're full of .... as I listened to the portion of the video that I watched. If you can't set an adjacent cabinet on the same shims something is weird - one of the cabs built wrong or something. That is a distance of only 1/2" between the cabinets.

As for leveling the three cabinets at a time - piece of cake. Eventually the cabinets will be fastened together anyway. Do it first and there is only one cabinet to level.

My impression was the presenter had no idea what he was doing.

Based on what he said in the portion of the video I watched, I wouldn't use the system.

But Andy had a good point. If you don't know that you are doing, it could be helpful but very expensive in my opinion.

Burt
Old 05-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Mike I like the way you did your island. I have put kitchens in with floors 3 inches out of level it takes a little doing but can be done. No leveling system makes up for the skilled craftsman.
Andy
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toollovingschultz View Post
Dino to me its a way to make it ez for the non professional or the doit yourself person to install cabinets so the professional is no longer needed.then because the cost of manufacture is higher due to the purchase of the leveling system the installer gets paid less he no longer has to be as skilled. I guess it fits in with labor trends. sorry I just have seen this happen as a way to pay the craftsman less money.
andy
andy, nothing is going to replace the pro-installer or custom cabinetmaker.
I will come up with 10 money and time saving ways before I buy the levelers but the idea is good and ez.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 AM

Default Kitchen Installation Video

My recent post of the link to a Kitchen Installation Video was not meant to upset the Pros of this web site...

Perhaps I should have put a warning in the beginning of my post that the link was for beginners ONLY such as myself....

I for one have never seen a more instructive video and whether you use shims or other mechanical devices (such as the one this installer sells), it provides the beginner with detailed steps on how to install cabinets and solve some of the installer problems. From finding the low spot in a kitchen, making and using a story stick, putting together cabinets, installing filler strips, anchoring cabinets to the walls, dealing with uneven walls and finally dealing with an uneven floor.

Many of the pros of this website have their own techniques on installing cabs... Step by step details of their techniques are rarely posted. Please share these techniques, especially if they include cost and time saving techniques.

I think most beginners and users of the EZ system would enjoy more detailed posts by the Pros. Burt, Mike, Dik, Dino and others have done several nice posts but most are NOT that detailed for the benefit of beginners.

Pros on your next installation job or cabinet building job with the EZ System, document your techniques with your camera for us beginners and others to learn from... I would welcome the cabinet building techniques used by the Pros. Especially Cutting techniques and Setups on the EZ-one. Recently, Burt did a great job in documenting the construction of a bookcase on the EZ-One showing several setup and cutting techniques. Some I didn't understand but I picked up several tips from the series of pictures.

Again beginners, I found this Kitchen Installation Video link instructive...this is NOT an endorsement on the levelers sold by the presenter...

Rob

Last edited by RJS1948; 05-02-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
andy, nothing is going to replace the pro-installer or custom cabinetmaker.
I will come up with 10 money and time saving ways before I buy the levelers but the idea is good and ez.
Yes Dino it is a ok Idea but not for the $ I have never had a problem with shims. The things that slow a install down are wires in the wrong place or cabinet is to big or the wrong cabinet came. Or the wall is way out of plumb.
Andy
Old 05-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Banned

I thought we used to have a Dino made video, or photo's from an old Kitchen install (his old house maybe?), where he made a base and screwed it to the walls, and set the cabinets on top of it. All he had to do then was add the cover for the toe kick.