The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Router Guide Systems

Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 PM

Default oops!

Building a couple of wooden brackets that will hold handrail at a specific angle. While building, I missed the angle at the connection end of the bracket. I needed to shave off from 0" to <1/16" on the angled top of the bracket. (You can just barely see the intended cut-line on the end of the bracket in the first pic.)

To shave off this little bit of wood w/precision (and speed), I mounted the brackets onto the side of my PBB. Using an infinitely adjustable board as an indexing stop for the bracket, I set the angle and clamped the bracket in place. Then, I mounted another indexing stop underneath the bracket to help hold it as well as having a reference point to place each bracket that needed shaving.

Once the brackets were against their stops, I held them in place with an EZ clamp.

To allow the SSRK to extend out to the bracket w/safety, I slid in two of the PBB table extenders, either side of the mounted bracket, and mounted a board between them for the SSRK to rest/slide on. (See the pics). Then, it was time to go to work. After setting the travel limiters on the SSRK, I ran the rim on the first bracket. (see the pic). Once I knew all was well, I finished the routing. Angle came out as near perfect as possible!! and much better than trying to sand it down to the proper angle. Slapped the other bracket in and had it done in less than 60 seconds. Nice.

Thanks EZ; the SSRK made my day.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3615.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	7231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3616.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	7232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3618.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	7233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3617.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	7234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3619.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	7235  

Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 PM

I think it should be official, you have the best PBB.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Thanks, Sean. All it is, is a rectangular table made up of EZ track turned bottom-side-out on all four sides; w/a few t-nuts on the top, here and there. With slide-in extensions and other misc. jig-assists, this thing is unstoppable.
I do like my PBB......
r
Old 11-14-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
One more vote for that. Looks like best portable setup to maintain square and survive traveling. Also most clamping options of any. How big of a corner block do you think is needed or is the center web more important?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt55 View Post
One more vote for that. Looks like best portable setup to maintain square and survive traveling. Also most clamping options of any. How big of a corner block do you think is needed or is the center web more important?
Actually, the corner blocks and the center web are both crucial. The corner blocks (1" HDPE) hold the track-as-sides in proper alignment, while the center web keeps everything square. Having routed out a piece of 1/2" baltic birch ply to make the center web allows sawdust/debris to fall thru as well as reduces overall weight significantly- you can grab the web thru the open top and carry it with one hand. Travels compactly enough standing on it's side in the back of the truck, or, stands on end in the shop when I'm needing the floor space; hangs on a couple of nails in the wall, if that works better.

For being so simple, it is quite versatile.
Rick
ps welcome to the forum brt55
Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info and welcome. I had made a 3/4 plywood box about the same dimensions as your pbb but its a pain to get stops and such clamped to the sides securely. I just need to get off my cheapskate and order some track.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt55 View Post
Thanks for the info and welcome. I had made a 3/4 plywood box about the same dimensions as your pbb but its a pain to get stops and such clamped to the sides securely. I just need to get off my cheapskate and order some track.
Track definitely makes it much nicer to work with the EZ extrusions, but, if you wanted to take a bit cheaper route, perhaps consider imbedding a few of these into your ply sides?:
http://www.orangealuminum.com/t-slot...s/t-track.html

Good prices and super company to deal with.
hth,
Rick
Old 11-15-2017, 01:30 AM

I'd done a grid of holes for clamps on the sides. And to lighten it up some. Trouble is you can never get the clamp just where you want it and you're always running into the clamp. T-track is an idea but it would be a lot smoother to have a table that was all EZ compatible