The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Clamping Systems

Old 11-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Default EZSMART clamp system questions

Bought the base/track/clamp package after wanting it for quite some time. I'm finding that I need more clamps to do what I want to do.

On the EZSMART clamp system, whats the thickest piece of material I can clamp?

Do you end up cutting into the plastic (delrin?) that clamps the material if you dont set the depth exactly to what you are cutting? I dont see how you wouldnt end up doing that.

In case you are interested, I'm trying to make a scarf joint on a 1.5 inch cigar box guitar neck.

thanks in advance!
-johnny
Old 11-07-2015, 12:00 PM

Johnny,

I'm not exactly sure which clamps you are referring to.

The regular EZSMART clamps say they can accommodate material 2-1/4 inches thick.

The deep EZSMART clamps say they can accommodate material 4-1/4 inches thick.

These clamps slide under the rails and thus don't generally rick contacting the blade.

The EZSMART Clamp System is much different than the above clamps. It uses a "bar" of UHMW plastic that is perpendicular to the length of the track, The wood is held between the track and this bar. The bar extends to the edge of the anti-chip edge. First cut might even cut the bar a bit, but that's OK.

You can convert the regular (and deep) EZSMART clamps to an EZSMART Clamp System by buying the "clamp upgrade" listed in the Clamping Accessories page. Its pretty simple to swap back and forth (so long as you don't misplace the clamp boots that are not needed for the Clamping System or the spring & nut not needed for the regular clamp). The instructions are in the upgrade pictures on-line.

I hope that helps!

I looked at my Clamp System that uses the regular EZSMART clamps and it will hold 1 inch thick material. I am pretty sure that you can also use the upgrade kit with the deep EZSMART clamps, and if you do that I am guessing that the the deep Clamp System will hold material about 2" thick. This depth is based upon the thickness of the bar, the length of the upgrade screw (adjusted by the metal wheel nut - which is where I got the 2"), and the length of the regular/deep clamp screw (adjusted by the plastic knob).

I hope that help!!

Ken K.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frige View Post
Bought the base/track/clamp package after wanting it for quite some time. I'm finding that I need more clamps to do what I want to do.

On the EZSMART clamp system, whats the thickest piece of material I can clamp?

Do you end up cutting into the plastic (delrin?) that clamps the material if you dont set the depth exactly to what you are cutting? I dont see how you wouldnt end up doing that.

In case you are interested, I'm trying to make a scarf joint on a 1.5 inch cigar box guitar neck.

thanks in advance!
-johnny
What kenk said.....

Also, here's a simple variation on the theme that I made recently when I needed to clamp thicker material.
Pic one shows a couple of Irwin Kwik Clamps- one is normal, the other one has had the upper clamp portion repositioned and modified to slide into the groove on the bottom of the EZ track. Pic two shows the modified Kwik Clamp inserted into the EZ track.
HTH,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	modified kwik clamp 1.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	6724   Click image for larger version

Name:	modified kwik clamp 2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	6725