The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Default What is the best way to make repeated cuts

Hi
Using the EZ Bench what would be the best way to make repeated cuts all the time.

I need to make cuts that are 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 16 and 22 inch all the time.

I have not come up with a sure fire way to change things out each time to get each size cut fast and 100% the same every time.

I have to cut a lot of 8x10 size panels so i need to make two cuts to get this but then i may need to switch over to cutting some 5x22 next and then later in the day go back to 8x10s or any of the other sizes.

I have tried marking with a marker on the side rail and using one of the metal stops but that is not 100% i get a slit bit off from one to next when i have to re set it up for each size.

Is their some kind of sliding device i can add on that will lock into place at the same setting every time for each size i need??

Or any other better way to do this maybe using some kind of template for each size or something.

Love the EZ bench use it all the time

Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital View Post
Hi
Using the EZ Bench what would be the best way to make repeated cuts all the time.

I need to make cuts that are 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 16 and 22 inch all the time.

I have not come up with a sure fire way to change things out each time to get each size cut fast and 100% the same every time.

I have to cut a lot of 8x10 size panels so i need to make two cuts to get this but then i may need to switch over to cutting some 5x22 next and then later in the day go back to 8x10s or any of the other sizes.

I have tried marking with a marker on the side rail and using one of the metal stops but that is not 100% i get a slit bit off from one to next when i have to re set it up for each size.

Is their some kind of sliding device i can add on that will lock into place at the same setting every time for each size i need??

Or any other better way to do this maybe using some kind of template for each size or something.

Love the EZ bench use it all the time

Thanks
Couple of quick solutions come to mind:

-Check out Dik Harrison's adaptation of the Woodpecker flip stops on his EZ table- totally cool (sorry, I don't have a link, but you can find it on this forum w/a bit of searching)

-whenever I need to do a bunch of repetitive cuts, w/changes in between each cut, I set up my stop block for the largest cut. Then, I just cut however many spacers I need, to be able to install/remove the spacers for whatever my next cut will be. eg. if 22" is the longest cut, set the stop on the EZ table to 22" and leave it alone. Then, when it's time for, say, a 12" cut, install a 10" spacer against the 22" stop, w/the material to be cut against the 10" spacer, and you're set up for the 12" cut.

-if you don't want to keep track of a bunch of spacers, consider getting some lock-out pins (see the pic) and making a gliding stop that allows you to move the stop w/the lock-out pin to whatever location is needed for the cut. You'll need to drill some holes in the EZ extrusion for the pin to index into. (In the pic, you can see the lock-out pin installed in a gliding block, w/a loose lock-out pin sitting nearby for a better look at it. http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section10/index.html)

I'm sure there are other ways; these just popped into my head.....
hth
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	indexing pin.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	6298  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 06-24-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Digital.

Welcome to the forum.

The link is http://tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4057

Woodpecker now makes plastic stops, I prefer the previous aluminum ones, but I have both and they both work well, but the newer ones are a bit stiff to flip.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 AM

Ok thanks for all the info

Here is what i ended up doing today kind of like what Rick posted but a little different.

I cut wood blocks to size so i can take a block and press it into the side of the saw blade and then push a stop up behind it. I place the saw in position so i can push the sizing block into it

Then pull out the size block and i am ready to cut.
This is now working very good and super easy to set up is seconds.

I found that each block needs to be around 1/16 longer then the size you want and it comes out just right this is the extra space for pushing into the the side of the blade.

Here are a few photos showing this. I just used some scrap wood for making the sizing blocks.

I need to get some longer tracks to get out to 24 inch on the right side.

Thanks

Last edited by digital; 06-25-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
Digital.

Welcome to the forum.

The link is http://tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4057

Woodpecker now makes plastic stops, I prefer the previous aluminum ones, but I have both and they both work well, but the newer ones are a bit stiff to flip.
For a while they didn't have the aluminum stops, but they brought them back. Not available at the stores, but thru the site. http://www.woodpeck.com/alumflipstop.html#2430

Also, these can't be used on all extrusions, so may not work with some tables.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Katie,

Thanks for the link, I knew they had done a one-time-only batch of the aluminum ones a while back, but the price was higher. I just ordered some again, as I really like them and use them a lot on the drill press too.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 06-25-2014, 09:54 PM

Default alternative method.....

OK, here's another variation on the theme of adjustable stops for the EZ-1; this is the 'poor-man's version.......

In the pic, you can see some modified 3/4" wood blocks (HDPE might have been nicer, but I didn't have any handy). They've been routed to fit in the side slots of the SMEs that make up the top of my EZ-1. (My EZ-1 is an earlier version, utilizing SMEs on top; the new EZ-1s use SSMEs- if you modify the wooden blocks to fit the SSME extrusion profile, this technique will still work.)
I routed these wooden blocks to be a snug fit- just loose enough to slide when the bolt is loosened; just tight enough to not twist when tightened; just shallow enough to allow the bolt to hold them securely. (You can see a loose wooden block sitting on top of the SME.)

The wooden blocks are held into the side of the SME by 5/16" bolts which can be tightened using either a nut, or, a small 3/4" diameter thumb screw. (As shown in the pic.)
On the topside of the wooden blocks, you can see some 1/4" holes; don't drill these holes thru the block- only drill them ~1/2" deep so your indexing pin won't fall thru.
Careful layout when routing/drilling will allow the wooden blocks to not interfere with wood that is laid on top of the SME. If you want to combine multiple holes in one block, no problem. (See pic.)

Also in the pic, you can see a white HDPE sliding-stop, w/a black knob, attached to the top of the SME by a piece of raised-ridge EZ connector, inset into the HDPE. This keeps the HDPE from rotating when the black knob is tightened, maintaining proper alignment of the indexing hole in the HDPE.
In the white HDPE you can also see the drill bit-indexing pin.

To use, set the white HDPE to where you want it for a cut- clamp it down. Then, slide one of the wooden blocks to where you can insert the drill bit thru the HDPE into the top hole of the wooden block- tighten the wooden block. Continue setting any additional wooden blocks for other cuts in the same manner. Now the blocks are set up to allow you to reposition the HDPE at any setting, in any sequence, and always have the same setting as the last time it was used.
Rick
edit: I drilled the top holes in the wooden block and the HDPE indexing hole at 1/4". A 1/4" drill bit, for an indexing pin is too tight to easily use. The drill bit in the pic is slightly undersized (.246")- fits just right. (I'm thinking that a 1/4" bolt might also work well- they tend to be slightly undersized.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stops for EZ-1 - 3.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	6299  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 06-25-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Looks good thats high tech compared to my poor mans version with just wood blocks lol..
Old 06-29-2014, 02:13 PM

Rick,
Are you using this one? http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...rss/index.html
Do you use lockout type or not? Your link takes us to the index. Any recommendations beyond that?

Bruce H. (EZ Thief)
EZ One PBB, 27" Ripsizer, Cabinetmaker w/extra repeater, PBB to STK, STK, Dual SSRK w/stops, SRK, 1-72" EZ Track, 2-50" EZ Tracks, 36", 24" EZ Tracks, EZ Miter Square w/Handle, 2 Sets Smart Clamps w/upgrade, Long Smart Clamps, Makita 5008 MGA CS w/dust collector and shield, Hilti WSC 267-E, DIY SPK and a UEG.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhough56 View Post
Rick,
Are you using this one? http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...rss/index.html
Do you use lockout type or not? Your link takes us to the index. Any recommendations beyond that?
Hi, Bruce,
it's been a few years since I ordered these, so here's all the info I have:

-pic shows the supplier and part #s of the indexing pins- these guys supply to J W Winco.

-Not sure which Winco numbers I have, but here's what I'm pretty sure they are: package on the right: http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...rsp/index.html (yes, lock-out style, w/steel pin nosing);
package on the left: hmmm.... I can't seem to locate it on Winco's index page, but, it's the same as the one on the right, except that the nosing is a hard plastic instead of steel. A quick call to Winco should answer your questions.

re. general guidelines: I'm guessing the reason they make so many is that there are a myriad of unique situations that require unique solutions: size, strength, location, material being used, accessibility, ease of use, etc. That being said, my criteria at the time had to do w/nosing sizes, as well as the lock-out feature- I'd never used these before, so it was a bit of a shot in the dark. Your situation might demand different parameters than mine. After reviewing the different pins on Winco's site, if you're still not sure what you want, the folks at Winco are very helpful, either online, or by phone. Perhaps you can order a couple of contenders and send back the ones you don't need?
HTH,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lock-out pins.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	6308