The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Sound System Cabinetwork

Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Default 15" Subwoofer build

Well its been hit or miss with the weather in my area one day 50 the next few in the 20's. My nephew got a new blu-ray player for Christmas this year. So I was over at his house helping him hook it up and we were watching a little of "Super 8" when the train derails and I heard this funky clank, clank. I asked what was that? He replied "oh my sub does that when there is a lot of bass it only happens with movies though." I immediately knew what I was getting him for his birthday. He has a Onkyo HT setup that has a 150W 10" sub, well lets just say its not quite up to the task.
Anyway I managed to whip this up as a gift for my nephew. Not the prettiest mind you especially considering some of the things you cabinet guys make around here but its my first real project with the EZ system and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Default A few more pics

It's a 15" sub with a 300W amp it should be quite a step up from the little 150W 10" he has now. He hasn't picked it up yet so I've been performing quality control tests . Please excuse the junk in the back ground.

Testing it out.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM

Nice speaker Mark. I am sure your nephew will appreciate it. the finish product looks real good that is what counts.

Andy
Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toollovingschultz View Post
Nice speaker Mark. I am sure your nephew will appreciate it. the finish product looks real good that is what counts.

Andy
Thanks, Andy! It was my first time using duplicolor truck bed liner in a rattle can but it turned out pretty good. The pics are from my phone doesn't take the best indoors. There is a just a few spots where the end grain of the MDF is telegraphing through slightly but not too bad. In fact I didn't notice until I took a pic with the flash on.
Any of the other troubles I had were due to me rushing to finish. When the weather broke I had to move, move, move! Anyway it was all done with EZ except for the circle which I used a Jasper jig and my plunge router.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:52 AM

Nice job Mark I'm also new at this and I have one ready for bondo sanding and then the duratec coating.

Was my first folded horn or speaker of any kind was fun really and if you kepp going at it things move along. Should have it finished by this Sunday.

Will need to add some kinda handles because its not friggin light lol.

Its has dual 8" woofers and has awsome base suprised me for sure and I only ran it on a 20 watt amp so far. It is for a home theater or the plans are but because I have dual 8s can be used for pro system so they say no crossover but I guess could add one if needed or limiter so its full range sub right now.

Thanks for showing you work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0849.jpg (100.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by bigjohn1; 08-17-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn1 View Post
Nice job Mark I'm also new at this and I have one ready for bondo sanding and then the duratec coating.

Was my first folded horn or speaker of any kind was fun really and if you kepp going at it things move along. Should have it finished by this Sunday.

Will need to add some kinda handles because its not friggin light lol.

Its has dual 8" woofers and has awsome base suprised me for sure and I only ran it on a 20 watt amp so far. It is for a home theater or the plans are but because I have dual 8s can be used for pro system so they say no crossover but I guess could add one if needed or limiter so its full range sub right now.

Thanks for showing you work.
Thanks for checking it out! I'd like to see more pics of yours.
I've been curious about doing a horn loaded sub for awhile now. I keep lurking on Bill Fitzmaurice forum and looking over his plans but I always end up thinking I should just buy all the plans instead of one at a time but I'm too cheap I guess
Old 08-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondoom88 View Post
Thanks for checking it out! I'd like to see more pics of yours.
I've been curious about doing a horn loaded sub for awhile now. I keep lurking on Bill Fitzmaurice forum and looking over his plans but I always end up thinking I should just buy all the plans instead of one at a time but I'm too cheap I guess
Mark this is my second CD from bill because of all the upgrades made to the older plans I bought in 2010. I kinda looked at it as a one time thing and 29 dollars to get a new disk at anytime I thought was a good thing.

I wanted to see how so many were made and that is why I bought the disk.
I will try and make one at at least one of each kind maybe pairs of the tops. And only if I can get someone to buy some of the models off me because of the space.

Trust me Mark I'm as cheap as they get with a lot of things but for EZ tools and speakers witch I can use to make money DJing and Karaoke and I'm always looking for better sound. I have not used a plate amp will need to try one out at some point.
Will post it finished and the next wedge horn monitor will show as being made only if I don't make a mess of it lol.

I understand now why so many make there own speakers like this witch you can't buy over the counter like the EZ tools and from what I hear from this sub so far and the cost to build it is a better sound and value for your money.

Last edited by bigjohn1; 08-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.