The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking Philosophies

Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Default UEG video

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
billy,
can u explain the procedure you use to rip 2" stock with the ueg. i cant imagine how you keep the stock stationary
Will -- this might answer your question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7M8lMAT0g0

those pieces are more than 2" wide, but it seems like the same method would work for something skinny.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
ok the reason i ask is i have to turn 50 10' 1x4 into 3/4x3/4 stops for a window job and to me settn the ts once and going to town seems to be the way i was going to go but if u gentlemen have a better way im all ears
Post #22 shows some pics of one way to quickly/safely accomplish this:
http://tracksawforum.com/showthread....t=canoe&page=3

re. the 30˚ angle on the end: I need a bit more detail- my mind envisioned a couple of ways to interpret your description, w/possible solutions, so I'm not sure which one(s) would be relevant,
Rick
Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_F View Post
I laughed the other day when I came across this episode of some old Bob Vila show where the carpenter is ripping plywood to make the supports for a closet install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCHpQ-4zNg
This is off topic, but here's my favorite Bob Vila moment. When removing plaster from a wall he picked up a shovel, jammed it into the wall and the sparks went flying. He stuck the shovel right into a wall socket and the power was still on. He went right on as if nothing happened. I'm not sure he even noticed.

~ Jeff
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Smile On the mark

Quote:
I laughed the other day when I came across this episode of some old Bob Vila show where the carpenter is ripping plywood to make the supports for a closet install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCHpQ-4zNg

Jump ahead to 9 minutes in, and watch these guys wrestle a sheet of ply onto a table saw. It doesn't have any grisly saw injuries or anything, but it's one of the best testimonials for a tracksaw that I've seen. When Vila grabs the sheet from the back and starts pulling it, I really had to wince. Even on the crappy video you can see that the cut is neither straight nor square -- just holding it up to feed the sheet into the saw puts a twist in it. Plus the fact that it requires two men and about 20 feet of open floor space ...
Thought this group might enjoy --
Dave
Yeah Dave ,Good find,That vid showed just about everything wrong with a table saw,except the lost Digits. Although I"m sure Bobs friend got a good nights sleep that night ,if the back pain from wrestling those sheets didn't keep him up.. Haha
Good thing it wasn't snowing outside too. As he'd of had to work on something else,or maybe lose the day..Because with the Garage door shut,he'd of been about 6' short of the room required .

BTW,,,,Bob Villa??? Really??? You must of been REALLY bored...LOL
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM

rick,
thank you for the great solution

will
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Default Small rips with UEG

Quote:
billy,
can u explain the procedure you use to rip 2" stock with the ueg. i cant imagine how you keep the stock stationary

thanks
will
Well Will,really depends on the material.. First of all,works best with a solid continuous support. I use a 4'x8'x1/2 inch piece of (sacrificial) cdx ply on table.
This will last for many months if not longer,if you are careful when setting depth of blade say 1/16-1/32 deeper then material being cut.

When not needing the absolute full length of material ,I will (toe) screw a 1" drywall screw in both ends of material being cut,only one small hole that can be eliminated with removing 1/4 inch off each end ,with squaring cut on miter saw once ripped.

If I need the entire length unmarred. I will cut "L" shaped pieces the same thickness of material being cut,and attach with two drywall screws,one "L" at each end of rip lengthwise. I angle screws inward to pinch material between.
A small finish nail at each end works well too,and small hole is easily hidden with filler.

If you need cut to be "joiner" square,be sure to attach scrap rip ,etc. of same thickness material to cut-table about 20" off edge of material being cut,for far edge of UEG t-track to rest on during cut. This will keep saw from tilting and help provide a very square cut edge.

Hope I explained well enough for you to understand,these are the methods I use daily with the UEG. I no longer use a table saw for anything. Btw,can accomplish same results ,with even thinner material and rips,with the EZ track,and Smartclamp upgrade. Dino has made you-tube video demonstrating this method using small length of EZ track.. For longer "skinny" rips,simply upsize track,and get the upgrade clamping system.

Hope I made sense..

Thx
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 PM

Default Huh??

Quote:
ok the reason i ask is i have to turn 50 10' 1x4 into 3/4x3/4 stops for a window job and to me settn the ts once and going to town seems to be the way i was going to go but if u gentlemen have a better way im all ears
Wow Will,10' long rips 3/4" wide on table saw sounds a lil risky.. How do you keep square with fence without wobble?? Cause to me,standing close enough to blade to apply downward pressure on material to prevent "chattering",etc. would require you to handle several feet of cantilevering material behind you. Sure,roller tri-pods will help,but how much room do you need for proper ,safe setup? I'm guessing 24' minimum. And how long will setup take?? There's definitely an EZ'er way.. These guys here ,I bet definitely have a better solution.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Default Absolutely

Quote:
Will -- this might answer your question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7M8lMAT0g0

those pieces are more than 2" wide, but it seems like the same method would work for something skinny.
Yes Dave ,works very much the same with smaller ,very thin stock..

Hint, Countersink and screw scrap rip ,etc, same thickness as material cut,about 20" from edge of cut. For long side of UEG T-Track to rest on to prevent tilting of saw. Assures cut to be as square as saw adjustment. I know,,,is repetitive,,but very important..
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM

billy
im no longer going to use the tablesaw i built a jig last nite dont have a ueg yet but have an ez plan. however if i were to use the table saw i would use 2 feather boards one on the table and one on the fence. as far as the material very little would hang over my infeed or outfeed table. im going to do an experiment im gonna do 25 with my ez jig and jay (a guy who works for me) is going to do 25 on the ts as i described, loser buys lunch so there is motivation.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
billy
im no longer going to use the tablesaw i built a jig last nite dont have a ueg yet but have an ez plan. however if i were to use the table saw i would use 2 feather boards one on the table and one on the fence. as far as the material very little would hang over my infeed or outfeed table. im going to do an experiment im gonna do 25 with my ez jig and jay (a guy who works for me) is going to do 25 on the ts as i described, loser buys lunch so there is motivation.
Will I would thing you both will get the job done but without a real UEG may not be the same feel. And again what would be the safe way for sure can't be the table saw not sure how the setup and speed would differ let us know how you both feel after. What you should do is each of you try each others way and tell us what one you felt was the best way to go and why.