The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking Philosophies

Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 PM

Pulled the trigger tonight. Got the shop package on sale. Hope this is good and works as well as everyone says it does. Got to admit a bit worried about it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintail View Post
Pulled the trigger tonight. Got the shop package on sale. Hope this is good and works as well as everyone says it does. Got to admit a bit worried about it.
Well, if you hit any snags, we're here to help.
Rick
Old 12-31-2013, 04:49 PM

Default Just remember

Hi Pintail,

I hope you love the tools. They truly do work great. But please remember as with anything new there is a learning curve. It still takes time and skill to build to exacting spec with wood. The tools are not a short cut. But an aid to help your creativity come to life. These tools do and will allow you build to the highest standards. I was so eager when I got all mine. Ripped it all open and started cutting away. Never taking the time to get to know all the ends and outs. Often going back to my table saw because I am so familiar with it. I have since taken the time to build a fence and use a story stick in my building process with the EZ tools. Not only is my building process a little faster. It is much safer and the results are top of the line.

Pardon the rambling post. I just worked all day with the EZ tools. And I can't believe how happy with the results I am. I am so pleased that I stuck with them. And hope you will be also.

Cheers, Tom
Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 PM

I got my EZ stuff when I was pretty new to woodworking. I'd bought a used contractor's saw, radial arm saw, router table with router, each for $50 or less. Never used them once I saw the EZ system. it is a bigger learning curve if you are still learning how to do woodworking, but on the other hand there is less to unlearn. I think of it as thinking how to do things backwards (upside down, really) from the way you'd do it on a table saw or router table. Luckily, I'm not in a hurry to do any of these things, and taking time to figure it out means I understand the principles behind the system better, too. Speeds up the next attempt.

For me, the big thing is the safety of the system, but also there is some amazing flexibility in doing things that cannot be easily done on a table saw.

The members of this forum have been wonderful/patient in helping newbies like me figure out how to do things. Even when my explanations have been obscure (I don't know what I'm doing enough to explain it clearly). Pictures of what you are trying to do often help.

The creativity of many of these folks are inspiring! Reading through the forum is a great help, too.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:09 AM

I thank everyone for there support and advice. Now the "long wait" to get the tools so I can start to famaralize myself with them. Just bought a house today with two niches on either side of the fireplace. My goal is to start building some built in cabinets for those spots within the next year or so.

Going to start with some bookcases for the kid's books and some shelving for his toys. If I can get my printer to stop eating paper and print something have a scroll saw project I want to start on tomorrow.

Again thanks for all the support and good advice.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Pintail,

A fair number of years back I had purchased the very same EZ-ready saw that you have ordered ... and it is a GREAT saw. No concerns at all on my part.

The fact that Dino and his gang pre-assembled the base, so all you need to do is connect the rails (if using two of them), pre-trim the white anti-chip edge (on a scrap ... wear eye protection as the plastic can fly a bit), then clamp lightly on to your target wood and cut away. It is very VERY easy and ohhhh so accurate.

For a cutting base, I use the SmartTable, but for a long time I just used saw horses with a few sacrificial 2x4's. Others suggest using a layer of foam insulation, though I'd think that would get messy.

You won't regret it AT ALL!!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 AM

Everything soulf be here on the 8th. Looking forward to it. Any suggestions on router bits? Brand and type to get started with?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintail View Post
Everything soulf be here on the 8th. Looking forward to it. Any suggestions on router bits? Brand and type to get started with?
Arthur, names like Whiteside, Amana, CMT are good brands. In your area, you can get the Whitesides at Fine Lumber and Plywood (off Dungan Lane; superb place to get wood; awesome people), or, if you're in S. Austin, at Weatherfords, near where St. Elmo an Industrial Blvd. converge; Woodcraft (on Hwy. 183)carries the CMT, Whiteside, and Woodcraft brand; Amana can be had from these folks: http://www.toolstoday.com/c-206-router-bits.aspx (good outfit to do business with). I think Brannen's, over on Buell, carries Bosch.
HTH,
Rick
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM

Cheaper router bits are useful if it is a specialty bit you are not sure you will use it often. But good ones last a lot longer if it's a bit that is likely to be used for a long time/frequently. Like making a bunch of cabinet doors. Straight bits of various kinds, some edging bits like roundover and cove bits fall into that category for me. Even good brands of straight bits are cheapest and used a lot.

Often Whiteside is not much less money than cheaper router bits and is top-rated. I get mine from Hartville tool, since they have free shipping regardless of the size of the order. They have a 10% holiday discount until the 6th. I don't see many discounts through them, so I got a few bits I predicted I'd need. But mainly with the free shipping I can get a bit when I need it that way. I don't have any good woodworking stores close by. And the gas for a 40 minute drive makes it costly. http://www.hartvilletool.com/category/whiteside

Getting a starter set is ok, but often there are bits in it you won't use. Here's the set I got from Woodcraft their brand Woodriver. I got it on sale for $39 so a good value. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-14-Shank.aspx I wouldn't pay much more than that, though. I don't know if the 1/2" shank set goes on sale, but the one reviewer says he likes the set except one of them broke . So, that might be a better choice. It's also a warning not to push the bits too hard (especially 1/4" shank bits should not be pushed too hard). 1/2" shanks are generally better. More stable, etc. except for trim routing or the router I love to use, the Dewalt 611 with the plunge base which only uses 1/4" shanks.

Rockler sometimes has Freud bits at heavy discounts, but the shipping is a factor. If you are going to spend more than $25 it's often free if you sign up for their email. I do like the Freud quadra-cut bits, they are good for edging and I've had horrible profile-destroying sanding with cheap/dull bits on cherry. From my woodworking class when first learning--I learned that. Very worth it if you are using hardwood that tends to burn.

I like CMT and Woodcraft used to have some good deals on that brand and got a few then. Never used amana.

I'm considering using mill ends instead of spiral upcut bits. They are a better value.

I love spiral upcut bits (I have a 5mm from Whiteside and it is great). But they are usually pricey. I'm looking at getting a 1/4" mill end to use for cabinet shelf pins. Eventually I'll get a 1/2" size. I wonder if anyone has used them and what brand. With the mill ends you have to pay attention to the shaft size, because the shaft is generally the same diameter of the cutting portion. If anyone has used these, I wonder what brand you favor. There was a good post on the green brand forum about using mill end bits. If I find it again, I'll post it.

Last edited by Goblu; 01-04-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 PM

I'm not recommending the MLCS Katana router bits because I've never used them, but someone who does this for a living said they were worth a look. I like their site, because it usually shows clearly what the resulting cut of each profile is. As a new woodworker, it took a while to figure this out, especially with things like panels in cabinet doors. Plus they often have instructions for their bits. They have a great site for information in general. Here's an example of their discussion of straight router bits:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...tana_bits4.htm

I might buy one of the Katana bits if I needed it and it was cost effective, though. Perhaps others know about this brand. Katana is their premium brand. The guy who recommended these said buy the Katana over their standard bits.

They also have free shipping.

Anyone, feel free to chime in if you have used the Katana router bits and do or don't like them.

Last edited by Goblu; 01-04-2014 at 04:26 PM.