The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking Philosophies

Old 04-20-2016, 01:13 PM

Default Thinking about the bridge

I would attach it to my smart table with the multi form extrusions on top. Of course the bridge mechanism has to be attached to the ends of the table or in some case the sides. What is the minimum dimension of the board that the SSME has to be attached to for sufficient structural support? Is the long side of a 2x4 wide enough or do I need 2x6? Currently my smart table is a 3/4" plywood of 24x48" sitting on saw horses. I would of course reinforce with 2x4 or 2x6 around the rim.

Also, when attaching to the smart table where the wood risers are roughly 3.5" high how do I orient the height of the bridge mechanism so I can use the wood risers properly?
Old 04-20-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISKDR01 View Post
I would attach it to my smart table with the multi form extrusions on top. Of course the bridge mechanism has to be attached to the ends of the table or in some case the sides. What is the minimum dimension of the board that the SSME has to be attached to for sufficient structural support? Is the long side of a 2x4 wide enough or do I need 2x6? Currently my smart table is a 3/4" plywood of 24x48" sitting on saw horses. I would of course reinforce with 2x4 or 2x6 around the rim.

Also, when attaching to the smart table where the wood risers are roughly 3.5" high how do I orient the height of the bridge mechanism so I can use the wood risers properly?
Not sure if this is helpful, but......

The bridge can be adapted to fit most mounting situations. Personally, I like the surface the bridge is mounting to, to be at least as tall as the vertical part of the bridge itself. It doesn't need to be that tall to work- that's just my preference. In reality, it will mount just as well to the face of a piece of SSME.

Also, the bridge can be mounted in many different ways. In the first pic, you can see a piece of slotted ply. The note shows where the bridge would mount; the entire assembly, bridge-mounted-to-ply, would then mount to a vertical surface of a workbench using a couple of threaded knobs. If you need to raise the bridge, loosen the knobs, raise the bridge, tighten the knobs, go to work.

The next two pics show a couple of removeable/repositionable holders for a set of bridges. These holders were for a workbench that had 3/4" ply overhanging by 4+ inches on all 4 sides/ends, and the users did not want to add any vertical framing. So, I made these longish ell brackets to screw into the overhanging ply. Then, the bridges were able to slide into the B2B that I used. (I could have used something like this: http://www.amazon.com/ALUMINUM-MITER...N%3DB000KUZMOE)
I drilled the mounting points using a layout jig I made. I then used that jig to transfer those mounting points to the ply overhang all around the edges. By doing this, the users are able to unscrew the entire assembly from one area and move it to another area. (think: crosscut vs long rip; or, one end of table top vs the other; or, project that needs the bridge mounted towards the center of the plywood length; or, etc.) The users are flipped-out happy with how it works. (Adapters like these could easily work on your ply-on-sawhorse, w/out any other modifications.)

HTH. Also, if you can post pics, that helps a lot- each person's EZ situation is different, so seeing the details of your situation will help us pinpoint solutions more germane to you.
Thanks,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2984.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2934.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	6828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2931.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	6829  
Old 04-20-2016, 05:33 PM

Default thank you

that gives me some ideas.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISKDR01 View Post
that gives me some ideas.
few more with ice cream,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgdY9IDVoM
Old 04-21-2016, 02:41 AM

While really like bumpnstump's ideas, I don't often need to reposition my guide rail and I don't care to re-square it so often. Nor do I need it to be mobile. So...

I built a 4'x4' table from 2x4 and 3/4" plywood, mounted 4' SME's to 2x4's on two sides and attached the bridge to them. Very stable, very accurate, and works well for me.

I've attached a photo. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	975499e48c795dd6e9eeca3dcfeba184.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	6834  
Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 PM

Default thank you.

my table is 24" x 48" but I get the idea. Seems very workable and simple to put together. I would probably mount it on the short ends (24") with SME. Is there any reason to use SME over SSME ?
Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 AM

None, the original EZ benches used SMEs or the bottom side of tracks.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 04-22-2016, 04:12 AM

Default tHANK YOU,

I know what direction to go now.