The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Router Guide Systems

Old 03-21-2016, 02:31 PM

Default router table top in EZ-one ?

Hello all,

I'm very much new to woodworking and the EZ system, and don't know what I don't know, but am enjoying trying to figure it out. I have the EZ-one with the SSRK.

I've watched all of the videos I could find on tunnel routing and various SSRK setups, but don't think they will work for me in this particular situation. I was hoping to cut some tongue and groove in some leftover 5/4 *6 decking, but the Freud bits I have aren't long enough when used with the SSRK.

Rather than building a router table, I was wondering if dropping a router table top made out of 3/4 MDF into the EZ-1 bench top would work, or is that just a bad idea?

Thanks,
Lew
Old 03-21-2016, 02:38 PM

There should be no problem in using in on the EZ-1 though I would work on a way to keep the drop in table from moving. When I was at a Rockler store a couple months ago their floor model of the EZ-1 had a drop in router table top. A good solution for a small shop.

Joe
Old 03-21-2016, 04:09 PM

I have a small shop too, and thought about doing this, but decided against it for a couple reasons. One— I would have to keep taking it in and out so I could move the supports and set up cuts, and two—shavings. I build a storage shelf up under my EZ-1, and would have to deal with copious shavings all over the floor and items unless I included a cabinet or got the dust port working much better than it was.

Before the EZ-1, I had a table saw with a cast iron extension router table. Ultimately, I decided I couldn't part with the router top and found a way to integrate a cabinet for it into my existing countertops. Being able to move pieces from one to the other without reconfiguration has been the best way to go.

That said, if you don't do a lot of routing, a drop in table will work fine. You can easily find a way to secure it with the slots in the underside of the extrusions.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 PM

If you don't do a lot of routing, a drop-in router table is a smart way to go requiring less space and expense than a stand alone table. Not much to lose but if you use 3/4 plywood or similar for the top, I would reinforce it somehow to avoid sag.

The SSRK is great for routing the plate opening.

Like Aaronp, I think dust collection is worth the extra effort. You will save time in clean up and protect your health.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 AM

Takes some pictures and lets us know how it goes. I am interested in do the same thing.