The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Router Guide Systems

Old 01-18-2016, 03:21 PM

Default Trim Router Danger

Back in 2012 Dik Harrison provided an excellent post on his use of the Bosch Colt on the Super Smart Router Kit (SSRK). I've been meaning to buy an extra SSRK base ($29 + S&H) to duplicate Dik's setup with my own Bosch Colt.

This morning I read an on-line article about the higher risk of injury while using a trim router (like the Bosch Colt) because there is no "natural" place to put the free hand - as would be the case for a larger router. It also makes me think that it would safer to use the trim router's plunge base - which has two handles.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...tion-on-safety

This made me see the added safety of using the SSRK from several different perspectives. The hand that moves that SSRK setup is on top of the track rather than on the router, I can turn off the router without lifting it off the material (not possible if hand edging with a router), and the guide rail w/ clamps holds the material down securely so no slippage or fumbling.

Ken K.

P.S. I also did a google search using "table saw injuries" and then "router injuries". Ugh!! Not for the faint of heart.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM

First off I hate the depth adjustment on my Bosch trim router with a passion. One of these days I'm going to beat the thing to death with a hammer.
Not sure what the answer is but trim routers by nature are sort of dangerous, you're usually routing small pieces and your hands are close to the cutter.
I'm not sure how you're going to use the SSRK to route small pieces without spending too much time making jigs and stops.
Maybe a router table would work better.
I did something about 30 minutes ago that got me thinking. I'd grabbed my much hated Colt, routed the couple of edges I needed to do, switched it off, unplugged the cord then grabbed the base with the bit toward my palm so I could coil the cord around the body. Bit was still spinning, touched my palm, luckily it was a bearing bit so it was just the screw head. But what a dumb thing to do.