The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Clamping Systems

Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM

Default What clamps should I get?

With some of the discussions this morning on using my EZ tracks as a jointer, I decided I needed to invest in the EZ Clamping system.

I saw this video:
https://youtu.be/vrrjLYn-6WY

Then I went shopping.

I found the EZ Smart clamps and upgrades.

Trying to decide if the regular clamps are sufficient or if I should get the deep clamps.

My frequently faulty reasoning tells me to get the deep clamps because they would also work with thinner stuff but the regular ones would not work with thicker stuff.

Appreciate any insights.

Thank you
Old 06-18-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryfoster View Post
With some of the discussions this morning on using my EZ tracks as a jointer, I decided I needed to invest in the EZ Clamping system.

I saw this video:
https://youtu.be/vrrjLYn-6WY

Then I went shopping.

I found the EZ Smart clamps and upgrades.

Trying to decide if the regular clamps are sufficient or if I should get the deep clamps.

My frequently faulty reasoning tells me to get the deep clamps because they would also work with thinner stuff but the regular ones would not work with thicker stuff.

Appreciate any insights.

Thank you

I have the old style smart clamps so I can't guarantee that the new ones have the same capacity. My regular clamps will clamp a rail to a 2X4 when maxed out. If you require more capacity get the bigger clamps. The big clamps are somewhat clumsy to handle, that is the trade off for capacity. I have both and in the long run you probably will too. I would recommend starting off with the regular clamps and if you get into a project that requires more capacity then add the large ones.

If you don't have a power bench then get the smart clamp upgrade kit. It is a problem solver and does come in handy, but with a bench you don't need it. Mine are still used on the road when working at other peoples houses. I have enough clamps to leave the smart clamp upgrade kit permanently set up since reconfiguring hardware in the middle of a project is a waste of time.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Thanks for that info, Ken.
My old fat fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be so I don't need additional clumsy.

I assume 4 is a good amount to start with?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 PM

4 clamps is a good number. If you decide to get the upgrade kit 2 clamps can be dedicated to them.

I just looked on the EZ web site and it lists the capacity of the regular clamps as 2 1/2". The large clamps have 4 1/4" capacity. That leads me to another question. What is the cutting depth of your saw?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 PM

I don't know off the top of my head.

It's a regular circular saw with a 7-1/2" blade so I'm guessing 3+ inches
Old 06-18-2019, 08:09 PM

Most 7 1/4" circular saws cut about 2 1/2 - 2 5/8" deep. From that you have to subtract the thickness of the saw base and the rail. The result is that most saws are maxed out cutting through a 2X4. So unless this is addressed there is not as much need for the extra large clamps. The work could be flipped and cut from the other side to increase capacity, but it will have to be lined back up perfectly. Fortunately I have a 10 1/4" saw to deal with the big stuff. Most people rarely have a need for the extra capacity.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:25 AM

That sounds about right, Ken.
Thanks for the clarification.