The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Sawstop acquired by Tooltechnic

It may not matter to many who frequent this forum, but Sawstop is being bought up by the German corporation, Tooltechnic, who also happens to own Festool, Tanos, and a few other tool companies.

What will this mean for the industry? Will Sawstop tech be licensed to other brands in the conglomerate?

Will it change anything at all?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Yes, Festool

Will they add the SawStop technology to the Kapex?

Will the Sawstop colors be changed to green?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 PM

I saw that Sawstop won their suit against Bosch. So instead of 2 somewhat safer TS's available there is only 1.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
I saw that Sawstop won their suit against Bosch. So instead of 2 somewhat safer TS's available there is only 1.
Well they have like 4 patents on it. 2 of them were determined to be infringed and the other 2 were not. However, utility patents are good for 17 years, so when the patent goes out, if anyone cares about the technology, they can copy it then.

People don't generally use the safety equipment that comes with their saws much of the time anyway. So we'll see how well this holds up, and if they can simply license the technology to other saw makers and if the market will pay the higher cost of new blades and cartriges every time one fires...
Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 PM

As I heard it, the original inventor tried to get existing manufacturers to license the invention, but fear of being sued for injuries on the existing saws because they don't have the capability, caused them not to license. Eventually he had to start manufacturing it himself, the advent of SawStop.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 06-28-2017, 02:05 PM

And since they don't have an existing table saw there should be no issue for them. But I though the Europeans all used sliding tables. The SS is fixed table isn't it?
Old 06-30-2017, 12:41 AM

Yes, but SS has a sliding attachment available for $1200. As impressive as it is, I'm more impressed by what I can do with my EZ tools more safely and at a fraction of the cost.

The only time I pine for a nice table saw is for long, narrow rips for custom moulding and such and the work pays fairly well. So, I'm trying to get more of it.

Took off a nail and some bone with a router last winter. A pic is attached for your viewing pleasure. I was working a small piece and, well... A $25 small piece holder from Woodhaven could have prevented the whole thing. My deductible and out of pocket expenses could have paid for the Sawstop. Also, I work alone 90% of the time. So, if I decide to get a TS, I'll be leaning hard toward SS and probably add an Incra fence. I have their router system and love it for joinery.

About 75% of my nail came back and I can still finger pick my guitar. So, I was lucky once. I'm not holding my breath for a second chance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170113_121920141.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	7156  
Old 06-30-2017, 06:28 AM

Researching for a cabinet saw and looking at SS is when I came across EZ. I still use my old TS for long moulding rips.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models