The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking Philosophies

Old 08-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Wow! This is exactly the kind of thoughts and input I was hoping to get. Thanks and keep it coming!

Burt, yes I'm thinking about hardwoods. I almost always get mine S2S but thought rough lumber would not only be cheaper but also give me a chance to increase my skill set and be more creative in furniture design.

Sean9C makes a good point about the limitations of a CS. As does Tofu.

Dino, thanks for jumping in! Helps remind me why I originally went with EZ over other methods. Sharing your experience and insight gives the rest of us confidence and inspiration.

I'm totally sold on the portability of EZ. Onsite work is still the bread and butter of my business. But I would like to spend more time in my shop and less time out in the elements. Might be an age thing.

One thing Dino mentioned is the design of an EZ shop. It's probably already on a another thread but why not take a fresh look at what an EZ based shop would look like? What kind of work, the tools needed, work flow, etc? I think I'd rather save it for another thread.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 PM

I do boats, everything is an odd bevel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
I gave up doing bevels on my CS. I always have issues with the cut line and keeping the bevel consistent. Now, 45's just get the router treatment. Maybe it is just me being an amateur

weird bevels (which i only need for inside of horn speakers) i still throw on my really bad craftsman TS.

What do you use odd bevel angles for?

-Chris
Old 08-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
Wow! This is exactly the kind of thoughts and input I was hoping to get. Thanks and keep it coming!

Burt, yes I'm thinking about hardwoods. I almost always get mine S2S but thought rough lumber would not only be cheaper but also give me a chance to increase my skill set and be more creative in furniture design.

Sean9C makes a good point about the limitations of a CS. As does Tofu.

Dino, thanks for jumping in! Helps remind me why I originally went with EZ over other methods. Sharing your experience and insight gives the rest of us confidence and inspiration.

I'm totally sold on the portability of EZ. Onsite work is still the bread and butter of my business. But I would like to spend more time in my shop and less time out in the elements. Might be an age thing.

One thing Dino mentioned is the design of an EZ shop. It's probably already on a another thread but why not take a fresh look at what an EZ based shop would look like? What kind of work, the tools needed, work flow, etc? I think I'd rather save it for another thread.
Work flow with ez.
Once, I made a custom made setup to trim the edges of extruded solar panels when there was a defect. A very complicated cut and the rejection rate on the factory was $5.000 daily not including the 10.000 SF storage for regrinding the plastic.
For ONLY 5K I build a custom table that was on wheels with a 20 feet long
infeed table. I spend an entire day building this monster.
It was a dedicated 56"? cross cutter with Bridge
and extendable handle on the saw.

The main unit was perfect for the application. I delivered-install it in 1/2 hour,
and transform a pile of scrap to a deposit box. Every cut wa $100.00 savings.
Well, the GM likes the whole concept but he don't liked my infeed table with stops and self aligning support...As you load the 25 feet long panel...
the panel was going on the long side fence making it possible to trim the edge
of the panel ( separate the L tubing from the straight pipes)

Let's keep it ez. I kept the table and use it later ( I will find the youtube video)
to make a multi tool. That was perfect for me.
Small shop and when we had good days we push the ez cart outside and enjoy the whether.

now I had a 4 sided table.
1. straight line rip and cut to width wood, plastic and aluminum parts.
2.dual router setup
3.cut to length panels and stuff.
and just about anything I need it.

If I was to start an ez shop ....I will consult with the ez-gurus at the forum.
Burt? How do you do?

tx
d