The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Are you sinking what I'm sinking?

While perusing (again) this thread I noticed your sink. Is that a Krause by chance? My wife has selected one very similar to yours. Looks like the under-counter installation just requires the sink to be on a short base cab to bring it up to just the right height, flush with the adjacent base cabinet tops. Then cut your countertop plywood to extend over the lip, flush with the sink bowls, maybe? Yes?

Main question: how have you attached the sink, or have you, to the underside of the counter top? Silicone bead? Are there any special considerations you'd recommend? I can already see that because of the depth of the thing, I'm going to be sure to put my water supply valves low so I never (okay, never say never, howabout seldom) have to fish around behind the sink.

Paul
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
While perusing (again) this thread I noticed your sink. Is that a Krause by chance? My wife has selected one very similar to yours. Looks like the under-counter installation just requires the sink to be on a short base cab to bring it up to just the right height, flush with the adjacent base cabinet tops. Then cut your countertop plywood to extend over the lip, flush with the sink bowls, maybe? Yes?

Main question: how have you attached the sink, or have you, to the underside of the counter top? Silicone bead? Are there any special considerations you'd recommend? I can already see that because of the depth of the thing, I'm going to be sure to put my water supply valves low so I never (okay, never say never, howabout seldom) have to fish around behind the sink.

Paul
I like Ken am working on our kitchen. My wife wanted an under-mount bow front stainless sink. Bad news is you can't touch/feel it at any retail outlet. If you look around the name brand ones go for $2,000 to $3,000. We found one for $350 on-line and had to return it due to terrible surface finish. We then bought a 15ga (most or 16ga) zero radius one on Amazon for $500. MUCH better looking - although you can if you look closely see a few flaws. To be fair if you look at the design there must be a lot of manual labor put into these compared to a stamped drop in sink.

As far as attaching. Mine came with a bracket kit that attaches to the counter top but right or wrong I made the sides of my cabinet the same width as the sink bottom flange. I made the height slightly lower than the counter will sit. I plan to use shims to bring it up tight. I'm sure they use a sealant plus you can have the counter overhand, be flush, or underhang the sink.

Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 PM

I built the cabinet under the sink shorter so that the sink rests on it. The top of the sink goes under the counter top and is glued in place with silicone. The base cab is also the same width as the sink.

Sorry I do not know the brand, my wife found it online.

Mike, get the adjustable legs for the sink base, Rockler has them. The legs allowed me to make the cabinet, install the sink and crank up on the legs to "squeeze" the sink in place. This worked very well and did away with the need for shims. The face frame is made after the cabinet is in place so that even if the bottom of the base cab turns out to be slightly off from the surrounding cabs you can hide it with the frame. Also since my sink sticks out past the front of the counter top the base does also (about 2"), breaking up the line which will mask any slight discrepancy.

It is very important to seal everything so that no water gets to the plywood under your counter top, even more important if it is is particle board. Water just loves to sit on the lip around these type of sinks.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM

Great thread. And really like the adjustable feet/legs for the base cabs. Do you have a good source or two for those?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 AM

These are the ones I used from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ustable%20legs
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Default Kitchen Cabinets

Nice posting. It really helpful for me to make a good kitchen design.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaElmer View Post
Nice posting. It really helpful for me to make a good kitchen design.
I will be expanding this thread in a few months to cover doors and drawers, maybe carcase construction using the Ripsizer and dados. Check back in the fall. I have to many outdoor projects to do over the summer while the weather is nice.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Default reply

remodeling of house is good!