The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Default Raised panel with SSRK

I had been struggling with the method of making raised panels with my SSRK for about a week, and figured out a simple solution to my problem that maybe others may be interested in. The problem was that the bit has a roller guide that must follow the edge of the wood and the threads for that guide stick out below the bottom edge of the guide and contacts the SME guide rail. I tried using strips of wood to raise therouter up, which was ok, but difficult to clamp in place. The solution I came up with is to screw a 3/4" x 3/4" strip of wood to the underside of the SSRK plate as a runner. Worked like a charm! I took some pics to illustrate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.7 KB, 157 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Guybilly,

I understand what you said about your problem, but that makes no sense to me. If you are cutting the edge of the panel that thin, the panel will not fit in the rails and styles.

Burt
Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Default Hope to clarify

Burt, the finished panel edge is 1/4" thick. I used a setup block to check the cut. The pic attached here, I try to show where the leading cut edge of the panel is in relation to the bit. Maybe it's the MLCS bit that's unique in that the threads extend so far on the bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybilly View Post
Burt, the finished panel edge is 1/4" thick. I used a setup block to check the cut. The pic attached here, I try to show where the leading cut edge of the panel is in relation to the bit. Maybe it's the MLCS bit that's unique in that the threads extend so far on the bit.
I see what you are talking about - nice fix.

Burt
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 AM

Default Panel raising

Hi Guybilly,. It has been 5 years since you posted this but I hope you still have access to this thread. I am looking at buying an EZ1 with the SSRK. My panel bit is a 3 1/2 inch bit. I can't tell from the photo how big yours is. I am concerned that the 3 1/2 inch bit is too big to use with the SSRK and I will have to keep using a router table to do it. I would like to switch to the SSRK to route panels. From your experience do you think this is a good idea? Thanks

Tags
raised panels, ssrk