The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Default where to buy 1.25-inch vacuum hose for dust collection?

I want to use my shopvac to collect dust from the 1.25" EZ Dust Port on my circular saw. Since the shopvac has a 2.5" hose, I plan to use a 2.5" -> 1.25" adapter. Then I would connect a 1.25" hose between the adapter and my circular saw. The connections would be as follows:
Shopvac -> 2.5" Shopvac hose -> 2.5" to 1.25" adapter -> short 1.25" hose -> circular saw
However - where can I buy a short 1.25" vacuum hose? This may seem like a dumb question, but I am having a hard time finding one that isn't 10 feet or longer, when I guess I probably only need around 6 feet. I have seen "raw" vacuum hose (looks like it was cut from a longer hose) which is a flexible hose without any solid connector ends, but I don't know how I can connect that securely to the EZ Dust Port.

Currently I'm using a Quattroflex Shopvac hose (a 1.25" hose with a built-in screw-on shopvac adapter), but it's a bit too short to go from my shopvac to my circular saw.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:29 PM

I would consider just using a longer, smaller diameter hose, the whole way to the vacuum. Something like the better grade, Ridgid pro grade vacuum hose SKU 385797. (resists collapsing more)
Otherwise, they normally sell a replacement hose, that would come with ends and be the smaller diameter size in a box, that I am pretty sure is a 7' length.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 PM

have you thought about adding a cyclonic separator between the shop vac and the tool?

I have a shop vac that runs 2.5" hose to the separator, then a 2.25" bosch hose to the tools

I hate looking for all the right adapters!!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:48 PM

Ugh, I hate the adapter problem. I did find a pretty nice hose at Lowe's made by Shop Vac and it had some adapters that may be helpful. I have it on a Ridgid vacuum. Decent quality for $32. http://www.lowes.com/pd_17026-20097-...ose&facetInfo= Longer than you want, unless you decide to go the dust collector route.

Dust collector is great. I was confused by the whole thing at first, but found that an ok dust collector can be had from Woodcraft that's just a lid you put on a 5 gallon bucket. Not the best, but works well enough without a lot of bother and cost.

The adapter I've used the most at the tool end is the Fein adapter. It is small and can be cut to fit various tools. Not too expensive. It also stretches a bit to fit over some tools. It doesn't fit everything but more than any other adapter, like my Rockwell blade Runner, Kreg jig, various sanders, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Fein-921072K13...n+adapter+dust

Actually, the most successful hose, the one I have going to my on the EZ One is an old vacuum cleaner hose. It swivels nicely on the tool end and seems to fit some things without stringing together a bunch of adapters. It fits right into the larger hose from the dust collector. I use it with the fein adapter at the tool end when I want to sand or use the Kreg Jig. It fits right into the dust collection port on my Makita 5057 with no adapter. It's lighter weight and so doesn't "fight back" like most of the other hoses. I wish they'd make lighter weight hoses like this one, even if they didn't last forever I'd be happy to buy them

If someone solved the adapter problem, they'd make a lot of money, that's for sure.

Last edited by Goblu; 09-16-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Default EZ-One dust collection hose

In case anyone else is interested I decided post back what I ended up doing for dust collection on the EZ-One.

First I bought a HEPA filter and contractor dust bag for my Shop Vac. I mainly did this because I was using my Shop Vac for drywall sanding, but it works great for woodworking as well.

To mount the vacuum hose on my EZ-One, I used the Rockler Dust Right Cord and Hose Holder (currently on-sale for $25) as recommended by Goblu. My Shop-Vac hose fits nicely into the hose holder. The hose holder can swivel a bit on the post.

For a dust collection hose, I used a 6-foot hose that came with the Hyde Tools Dust-Free Drywall Vacuum Sander (about $24 at Amazon or $20 at HomeDepot.com). The adapter that comes with this kit helps the hose to fit snugly in the Rockler hose holder. Using the Hyde hose does make the Shop-Vac motor work a bit harder / louder - I'm not sure whether it's due to the narrow 1.5" diameter or the ridges inside the hose. The hose does not stretch, so it is too short to reach the whole way across an 8-foot long plywood sheet that is sitting on top the EZ-One Raised Top Kit (it would reach if I mounted it in the center of the EZ-One, but I currently have it mounted at an end). However, the 6-foot hose works fine when cutting shorter lengths of wood. The hose fits a bit loosely over the EZ dust port because the end is tapered - the connection is therefore not super snug / air tight but it works well enough. Even if you don't need a dust-free sanding block, the hose alone might be worth the $20 because it's a decent fit for the Rockler hose holder and EZSMART dust port.

The overall setup does not catch 100% of the sawdust - it mainly misses the sawdust that comes from below the piece I'm cutting. But it does keep my workshop pretty clean, especially compared to having no dust collection.

The rubberband in the last photo is to hold my circular saw's blade guard open. It has nothing to do with the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00764s.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6605   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00765s.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	6606   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00768s.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	6607   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00770s.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	6608  

Last edited by protective1; 01-24-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Tags
dust collection, hose, shopvac, vacuum