The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Forum

Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Default Attachments to posts

Picture files (and other files) can be attached to posts several ways depending on where the files are physically located (your PC or the Internet), where you want them to appear (within the body of the post or in a row of thumbnails below the body of the post), and whether you want the full picture file in the post or a thumbnail that when clicked will display the picture in the shadow box. Only picture files will show as a thumbnail, the other file types (PDF, SketchUp, etc.) will show as an icon for the viewer your system uses for that file type of the operating system default.

The first of these tasks I'll show is thumbnails of files from your PC embedded in the body of the post.

Start by clicking the Attachments Button.
Click image for larger version

Name:	AttachmentsButtonHighlighted.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3125

This brings up the Manage Attachments window (if you do not already have attachments for the current post). Note that this picture also shows the types of files that can be attached and their size limits.

Name:	ManageAttachments.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	3120

In order to upload a file from your PC, you must click the Browse Button.

Name:	BrowseButton-Highlighted.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	3138

This opens the File Upload window. In which you select the desired file and then click the Open Button.

Name:	FileUpload-Highlighted.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	3137

You have slots to browse and select up to the maximum allowed attachments (5 at this time), so you can upload all that you want for this post at one time.

Click Close This Window to return to editing the post.

Now click the Attachments Button again. Since you have attachments already uploaded, you will get a drop down list. The first item on this list is Manage Attachments, which will display the Manage Attachments window as above. Note that there is also a list of the attachments already uploaded and the command Insert All. Clicking one of the listed files will place that attachment thumbnail wherever your cursor is within the body of the post. This is how I have done this post. If you click the Insert All command, all attachments you have currently uploaded will be inserted at the cursor (this includes any that you may have already inserted elsewhere in the post).

Name:	AttachmentButton-AttachmentsUploaded.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	3128

In the editor, you will not see the thumbnail, but instead you will see the code that displays the thumbnail. (i.e. [ATTACH_]3128[/ATTACH_]; I added the _ characters so that the code would not be interpreted as code.)

Next: What if you want the thumbnails displayed at the bottom of the post?

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Last edited by Dik Harrison; 03-25-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 AM

Default Attachments to posts - Thumbnails at the bottom

The simplest way to get attachments is to just have them appear at the bottom of the post. You do everything just as you would to embed the attachments, but once you have uploaded the attachments, do nothing more. They will then be displayed at the bottom as in this post. The files here are two that were not used in the previous post. The first shows the Manage Attachments window as the files are being uploaded. The second is the window once the files have been uploaded.

Any uploaded files that are not displayed within the body of the post are displayed at the bottom, so if you upload 5 files but only place 2 within the body of the post, the other three will be displayed at the bottom of the body of the post.

Note that when you upload attachments, they are hosted by this site. That is, there is a copy of the file stored on this site, and that is what is displayed. Therefore even if the file you uploaded from is lost or deleted, it will still be on this server, and thus still in the post.

Next,: What if the files you want to attach are on the Internet?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UpLoadingFiles-Cropped.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	3143   Click image for larger version

Name:	FilesUploaded-Cropped.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	3144  

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Last edited by Dik Harrison; 03-25-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Default Attachments to posts - files from the internet

If you have files hosted by a file hosting site such as Picasa, Box, or Shutterbug, they can also be attached to your post in the same manner as shown in the previous posts. You just provide the URL address of the file in the Upload File from a URL section, and click the Upload Button.

Name:	URL-Highlighted.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	3146 Click image for larger version

Name:	URL-Pasted-Highlighted.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	3147

You can mix the sources of the attachments within a post. The URL that you use must just be to the file, not to a viewer of web page.

Next: What if you want pictures, not thumbnails in your post?

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 AM

Default Attachments to posts - Pictures embedded

If you want full size pictures embedded within your post, they must be hosted on the Internet by a site such as Picasa, Box, or Shutterbug. You simply click the Insert Image Button to get the pop-up window to enter the URL.
(I'll have to see if I can find these two images, as I appear to have removed them from their original location. {2016/03/19})

You can type or paste the URL, but it must be just the URL of the picture, not to a web page or picture viewer.

Please make sure that your picture is of a size that can be easily viewed in its entirety without having to scroll around.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Last edited by Dik Harrison; 03-19-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Yes I see big and small shots not sure how this is done yet I get some big and some small from the same camera. Digital photos all new to me.