The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Display Case

Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Default 'solar panel'

I'm guessing my situation is like others: when Spring gets here, so do the Spring projects.

One of this year's projects is to cordon off some new plantings so that the deer cannot feast on them. Since this cordoning is to be in the front yard, whatever I do needs to have a bit neater look than I'm prone to do.

After ok'ing the general design w/'the big boss' (mamacita), I scrounged around the wood pile and found some leftover fence pieces. After a bit of milling, I had enough parts to make a light-weight frame that would be covered over with some 1/2" sq. hardware cloth. The end panels are 24" wide x 36" tall; the longer, side panels are 60" wide x 36" tall. I couldn't stand the thought of only having hardware cloth over everything, so I thought about inserting a 'decorative element' in the center of the longer panels. After a bit of sketching, I came up with the idea shown in the pic. It's a fairly common theme one sees in print, but I'd never made one out of wood.

So, after a bit of random choosing for the radius portions, I cut out the 'sun' and stuck it in position in the frame. From there, it was a bit of math (http://www.algebra.com/algebra/homew...on.336647.html) to figure out my angles- in this case, 12˚ for the larger 'rays'; 6˚ for the intermediate 'rays'. Once that was figured, it was off to the EZ-1 to set up the tapered cuts. It never ceases to amaze me how absurdly simple it is to do this kind of work on the EZ-1.

Once the narrow ends (that butt into the sun) were concave-radiused to match the sun's radius, I began to lay out and cut each of the 'rays'.
Instead of building the entire thing oversize and then cutting to size, to fit the frame, I built it one piece at a time. (I was really tight on material and needed to make each piece count maximally.) Building it one piece at a time meant I'd be cutting some really extreme angles, w/none of them the same. Again, this is where the EZ-1 shines: make the mark, line it up under the bridge at the cut line, cut, install, next.

To keep the 'rays' in place where they touch the 'sun', I ran some 1/4" dowels and pookey'd the joint with some Big Stretch clear (http://www.sashco.com/products/big-stretch/); the 'rays' that touch the frame are held in place w/some special screws, drilled thru the frame. (http://www.splitstop.com/)

I only need this thing to last a couple of seasons, but I wanted it to look nice during that time. Mamacita is happy- that's what counts. (I hope the deer appreciate the artistic effort made in spoiling their dinner…….)
Happy Easter,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar panel-  end panel.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	6187   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar panel-  side panel.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	6188  
Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 PM

A few times with our work we used Eaton's test track out in Marshall, MI, a large complex with a lot of deer. They mostly came out at dusk and we would watch while they jumped over the 12' fences. The test track itself was fenced with 16' fence. The front of semi's get messy when you hit a deer.

What you doing for the other 13'?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyToys View Post
A few times with our work we used Eaton's test track out in Marshall, MI, a large complex with a lot of deer. They mostly came out at dusk and we would watch while they jumped over the 12' fences. The test track itself was fenced with 16' fence. The front of semi's get messy when you hit a deer.

What you doing for the other 13'?
heh-heh.... good one, Jack.
In this case, smaller is better: to small to jump into; too tall to actually get to the plants inside; plus, once it's up, we'll drape it w/some solar cloth to completely enclose it.
You're right, tho, about those deer- they're often standing in my front yard, near the 5' tall fence on the property line. In a smidgeon of a second, they can hop that fence from a standstill.... w/lots of room to spare. Always a marvel to watch....
Rick
Old 04-20-2014, 12:47 AM

What a wonderful design/idea! I really like it. I especially appreciate your working with limited materials and how the EZ system really shines there. Aided by an extremely inventive mind, like yours, Rick.

I used to put up deer flags around my garden, above the regular fence. Apparently deer don't like fluttery things. I used long bamboo poles held by electric conduit. The conduit was slipped over rebar that I pounded into the ground. Fairly easy and inexpensive solution. These flags can be decorative and then it looks pretty cool. I put them at 3 different levels. The deer never came in, though they did eat in every other one of my neighbors' gardens.

Some people use plastic bags but that just looks shoddy and I think could hurt the birds. I used nylon fabric flags instead and they held up for several seasons. Perhaps some nylon flags with sunburst on them would be cool.

Haven't done this for a while. I try to grow things deer don't like or just protect individual plantings. They sometimes prune back the trees in the winter. Saves me some work