Originally Posted by Jeff Freelove View Post
Rick,

Very nice! Excellent use of scrap pine.

Thanks!
Thanks, Jeff!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:48 AM

Default Thanks for the inspiration.

Rick,
Great project. In a similar application the other day I needed to cut a 1/2" thick pc. of corian as a trim pc. on a slightly tilted tub deck that was next to a shower. The pc. needed to be cut from 3/4" tall to 3/8" tall over about 60". I was amazed how well one can cut tapers with the EZ smart system. Corian is not an easy material to cut. But, with the correct blade and the great "hold tdown" capability of the system, a nice clean cut resulted. And the most incredible thing was that I did it on site.
Again great project, thanks for the post. You have got "the wheels turning" with alot of neat applications.

Marty
Old 05-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty View Post
Rick,
Great project. In a similar application the other day I needed to cut a 1/2" thick pc. of corian as a trim pc. on a slightly tilted tub deck that was next to a shower. The pc. needed to be cut from 3/4" tall to 3/8" tall over about 60". I was amazed how well one can cut tapers with the EZ smart system. Corian is not an easy material to cut. But, with the correct blade and the great "hold tdown" capability of the system, a nice clean cut resulted. And the most incredible thing was that I did it on site.
Again great project, thanks for the post. You have got "the wheels turning" with alot of neat applications.

Marty
Thanks, Marty.

Yep, EZ has helped me push outside of my earlier-history parameters to do things I used to not even think about..... and, it's fun!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:21 PM

Default Another Idea

Guys: Just an idea that you may or may not know about.

http://www.inlaceonline.com/index.html

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ts?term=inlace

I do some wood turning, and on the lathe we have a technique called "Inlace." It is stone or metal or ??? mixed with epoxy and bonded to the wood. I see several holes in this table that could be filled with turquoise stone (dust or nuggets) and epoxy. Take a look at the links above. You can get an idea about what beautiful enhancements can be added to other wise, undesirable projects, rendering glorious effects.What you are calling a "just experimenting" sort of project, can now be a highly desirable piece of wood crafted art. I have barely salvageable pieces of wood turned into stunning works of art.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
Guys: Just an idea that you may or may not know about.

http://www.inlaceonline.com/index.html

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ts?term=inlace

I do some wood turning, and on the lathe we have a technique called "Inlace." It is stone or metal or ??? mixed with epoxy and bonded to the wood. I see several holes in this table that could be filled with turquoise stone (dust or nuggets) and epoxy. Take a look at the links above. You can get an idea about what beautiful enhancements can be added to other wise, undesirable projects, rendering glorious effects.What you are calling a "just experimenting" sort of project, can now be a highly desirable piece of wood crafted art. I have barely salvageable pieces of wood turned into stunning works of art.
Right on, Phil!

One of the retired woodworkers in my area makes custom jewelry boxes and incorporates the turquoise epoxy in the making of them. The end result is beautiful; more so when he uses a nice, darker wood like mesquite- seems to make the turquoise 'come alive'.

Great tip- thanks for posting!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:02 PM

Default Stain and glitter

Rick: When I saw your design the first image that grabbed me was the "sun" appearance in the design. Stain the wood with a transparent stain or dye, that doesn't mask the grain. Then fill the "rays" of the design with copper or gold. Your pattern lends itself to a flower or a radiant sun. Just so many really cool things that can enhance or embellish that design. That design was not an easy calculation from what I can see. Another great job! Then again did we expect anything less? NO! Just when I think you might hit the limits of your imagination, you seem to pull out another rabbit! Sure keeps the forum lively.

BTW: I have seen "Glow In the Dark" materials added to the epoxy. -- Talk about a "Wow!" factor.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
Rick: When I saw your design the first image that grabbed me was the "sun" appearance in the design. Stain the wood with a transparent stain or dye, that doesn't mask the grain. Then fill the "rays" of the design with copper or gold. Your pattern lends itself to a flower or a radiant sun. Just so many really cool things that can enhance or embellish that design. That design was not an easy calculation from what I can see. Another great job! Then again did we expect anything less? NO! Just when I think you might hit the limits of your imagination, you seem to pull out another rabbit! Sure keeps the forum lively.

BTW: I have seen "Glow In the Dark" materials added to the epoxy. -- Talk about a "Wow!" factor.
Phil, it's a good thing my wife doesn't read this forum- she'd see your ideas and send me out to the shop to try them out..... lol. She's the artist of family; I'm the technician. I did good just to get a bit of stain and a couple coats of poly on it.