The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 AM

Default Dustless saw base?

I'm in the middle of a reno and have realized I need a better dust collection system; something with attachments for everything: saws, drills, sanders, and more. So, I go online to start researching. The amount of time I've spent avoiding the "green kool aid" would've paid for a few of their tools.

Then, yesterday I came across Dustless Tools. They aren't cheap but I was impressed nonetheless. Their HEPA wet/dry vac is impressive - switch from wet to dry without removing the filter.

Another product is their dust collection shroud for worm drive saws. It fits most models and claims to capture 99% of the dust.

If EZ developed a saw base that integrates dust collection, they would be years ahead of the pack!

http://www.dustlesstools.com/product...ingShrouds.php
Old 09-08-2017, 08:57 AM

When I used the EZ track system the Makita 5057 was a great saw for dust collection much better then my modified MAG 325. If I remember correctly I built my own base for it so the shroud would work correctly, and I wasn't using the ACE. But it was great for dust.

Thanks for the tickle, I need to find it and put it on eBay.

https://cdn.makitatools.com/apps/cms...b_p_1500px.png

Last edited by TooManyToys; 09-08-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:52 AM

Eeek! The Dustless vacuum filter - the one that looks like an older round car air filter - costs $135 on Amazon. Ouch!

I definitely like the idea of better dust control, but the price has to be reasonable for an amateur woodworker like me.

Has anyone tried to completely shroud their circular saw blade? I'm not sure how much dust is ejected underneath the cut. Never really watched for that.

I've also use a compound sliding miter saw, and from what I've read it is very hard to reduce dust from those. Apparently the hoods are only partially successful.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Very cool. Looks like better dust collection than Festool.

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 09-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Yeah, from the outside it certainly doesn't scream high tech but on the inside l where it matters, it's a very smart system.

As for cost, it offers more bang for the buck compared to Festool, Bosch and others I've checked. I think they know regs are changing and we'll have to use them.

My SCMS does a decent job of getting most of the dust with a shop vac connected. Even without a vac, it throws nearly all of the dust and debris out the back away from the cut and the user.

As for a dust collecting base, what about a second piece that fits over the base after the saw is mounted? An optional retrofit? For $20-25? With 1.25" port for vac hose?
Old 09-08-2017, 04:45 PM

After a pretty bad experience using a small one gallon shop vac used to clean up mouse debris (later found out how dangerous it was) and having a pretty bad allergic reaction to the "dust", I've come to the conclusion that most regular shop vacs pump a LOT of fine "dust" out the back end.

Given that I've turned to using a high quality 3M reusable half-mask respirator with a particulate filter (the pink one). In addition I've started using a disposable dust bag and the highest filtration filter (the blue one) for my Rigid 16 gallon shop vac. I know the filter isn't a HEPA filter, but its got to be better than the standard one. I bought dust collection accessories for most of my tools and will do my best to use them.

I think when I set up my "retirement shop" I'll consider just pumping the shop vac exhaust outside (after a Rockler Dust Separator and the shop vac filter). I've read that in winter, if used only when cutting/sanding, the heat loss is worth the safety.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Master Carpenter

Hello ez dustless fans.

KT. ( katy) just finished a better dust port and shield.
Low price and tool free except the step drill that is going to provided.

I hope to have the tooling and a prototype done in few weeks and a final product in 2-3 months.

Nothing like having a lady design tools for man.
After all, the circular saw blade was invented by a lady.
Before that, we had a man in the pit ( large hole and a man above ground)
push and pull system.

Stay tuned with a nice addition to the NEW-EZ...
Until we have the final deal...IDEAS welcomed.
IF used ....money will do the talking.
thanks
dino
Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 PM

I started looking at some dust collecting saws from Skill, Makita, DeWalt, and Roan. With the exception of Roan, they are cement cutting saws and aren't recommended for wood but the specs are the same as a regular CS and many use them for wood, PVC, and more. They come with a hose designed specifically to fit the port on the saw. Why wouldn't one of these work with EZSMART?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:43 AM

They do, post 2.

Threads mentioning Makita 5057
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3401.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	7203  

Last edited by TooManyToys; 09-11-2017 at 09:46 AM.