The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Display Case

Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 AM

Default EZ Can Do Toys!

Today was my son's 3rd birthday and I built him a crane using plans from Wood magazine. I had recently completed my PBB (details to come later in another thread) and gave myself the challenge of cutting all of the walnut and maple without using the my miter saw or table saw.

Well....I met my challenge! The tools I used to complete the crane: drill press, power drill/screwdriver, a hand saw, bandsaw, lunchbox planer, and my EZ set up (5008MGA on power bench with B-300).

These are all of the wood parts used in the project. Except for resawing and planing, all cuts were made on the EZ set up (except for the slopes on the big block of walnut...hand to use the bandsaw). The angled cuts were a piece of cake. I did have to use a handsaw to finish a cut on the long mast (the maple piece with the holes) because the total thickness with 1/8" more than the 5008 could make.

The completed project. My son loves it.

This project confirmed to me that a fairly basic power bench EZ set up can do small, fine woodworking projects. For the "EZ is only for cutting down big panels" crowd, I think this project speaks for itself.

Next on my list is to clean up my shop and take pictures of my power bench. Then onward to finishing a computer armoire and twin bed for my son.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crane.jpg
Views:	32770
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	2076   Click image for larger version

Name:	crane-parts.jpg
Views:	2610
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	2077  
Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 AM

Joe

Great job, looks good.

Mel
Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 AM

Default Niiiice!!!!!

Great to see the DWC & Rail system being promoted as something more than a tool for panels and travelling tradesmen.

Looks like your projects have similar aspirations to me.
I'm lining up a bunk bed project (if #2 turns out to be a boy as well. Find out in the next few weeks I guess.)

It may cost more than a prebuilt in materials alone but hey I'll build it with features you can't buy and that's the difference in all of my projects.

Cheers EMIKE
Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Joe,

Great job! A few months ago I got a note from one of my nieces. When she had her first child, I built a cradle. That daughter is now married, in the navy and just had her first child. And yes she is using that cradle I made when she was a baby. That brought tears to my eyes.

Kids always seem to enjoy hand built toys.

As for EZ being able to do small stuff, you're preaching to the choir. The EZ is equally at home with either. A lot of people see the EZ as only a way to do plywood but they are wrong.

I have spent the past couple of years without a table saw and really haven't missed. There are so many ways to do things with EZ that everyone can customize their approach.

Again, Joe - Great work!! Enjoy watching your son enjoy the crane.

Burt
Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks guys.

Emike - congrats on #2. We have 2 boys (3 years and 3 months) and it is a blast. I am using a bunk bed plan for my son's twin bed and I will probably build a 2nd while I am at it even though I won't be using them as bunks...at least for now.

Joe
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 AM

Default Thanks Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejacket View Post
Thanks guys.

Emike - congrats on #2. We have 2 boys (3 years and 3 months) and it is a blast. I am using a bunk bed plan for my son's twin bed and I will probably build a 2nd while I am at it even though I won't be using them as bunks...at least for now.

Joe
Thaks WJ.
It's Going to be one hellava week coming up.
EMIKE
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM

That's awesome! My little one would play with that 24/7!
Keep the projects and pix coming!
Johnny O