The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Home Renovations

Old 10-13-2010, 01:55 AM

Default bathroom tile help.

Hopefully a simple question... We are installing a tile floor in our bathroom and new cabinets. Does the tile need to be installed on the floor where the cabinets will rest or should we install the cabinets and then tile up to them?

The bathroom is a new addition. The subfloor is down but nothing else is in place in the room. If I simply tile the floor and then place the cabinets on top of the tile, there will be less fitting and cutting, but is that the smart way?

Bill
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Hey Bill,

You can do it either way. Tiling under the cabs will require less cutting and fitting, but will create challenges when/if you want to replace the tile.

Marcus
Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM

I prefer to tile the whole floor first. I also like to tile before setting the toilet. Doing it this way gives a clean professional look. Ceramic tile will last a very long time so I would not be concerned about the ease of replacement. Do not forget to put down cement board first. Tile does not flex, it cracks.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Just tile it all. In a bath it couldn't be much extra material. Like Ken said definatly use backerboard. It even helps to glue it down and use screws. Nails tend to work loose in time. I also recommend using smaller tile joints and epoxy grout.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 AM

I have never used epoxy grout. Do you find it superior to standard grout or longer lasting. I have always used cement based grout and have never had any problems with it. It has proven to be very durable through the years. An important step with cement based grout is to use a good sealer. I find standard grout easy to work with also so I am reluctant to switch from a product that works great.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 AM

Default tiling forum

There is a good forum on JohnBridge.com related to tiling and related stuff. A number of professionals post there, and I have found it very useful in the past.

I believe the consensus is to tile before the cabinets if you have the opportunity to do so...

I have read that epoxy grout has improved a great deal in the past few years. As I recall, they say you can store the extra in the freezer and thaw it out/reuse when ready. It 'flexes'.. so is less prone to cracking and offers a better waterproof seal vs grout w/ sealer. It may also help in not trapping bacteria...

Last edited by Jeff Caskie; 10-20-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:56 PM

If you tile under the cabinets but not to to the wall you will have to shim the kick platform level.
You need to set tile on cement backer board that's thin setted and screwed to the subfloor or if your subfloor is stiff enough use the Schluter Kerdi products, you can google them.
I used epoxy grout for the first time the other day. I found it very challenging to work with and wouldn't use it again if I had an option. Good news is that it will last forever. My suggestion is that if you're considering epoxy grout to use it first on a small project and see if you like it.