The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Default Yet another clueless newbie needing advice.

I'll start with what tools I already have in my 12 x 20 workshop:
Shopsmith 520 (tablesaw/lathe/drillpress/bandsaw/disk and belt sander/jointer)
12" Planer
Router table
24x36 CNC Router
Scrollsaw
Dust Collector

I am a hobbyist, and don't like cutting sheet goods on a table saw, and the Shopsmith's high table makes it even more dicey. It is also not good for cutting at an angle, since the table, not the saw, tilts.

So the first thing I want to do is overcome the tablesaw limitations for sheet goods. I'd also like to be able to cross-cut long stock accurately and safely -- again something that is hard to do on the table saw. A chop saw is one solution I've considered.

I don't have a lot of room to house something that can't moved easily out of the way or quickly disassembled.

Accuracy is very important to me, as is versatility. I don't want to invest in something that will soon be found to be superfluous as I find it has shortcomings and I need to upgrade.

I don't tend to make the same thing more than once, so versatility is important to me.

I realize how vague all the above is -- but I'm sure I'm in a place similar to that a lot of others have been in, and am open to suggestions as to what EurekaZone product or products would be wise purchases.

Much thanks -- Paul
Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

First you need some support for what you want to cut. Start with the smart table or the master multi formations table. Either will support full sheets of ply and both are easy to store.

Next we need something to cut with. For the rip cuts, UEG is ideal and the cost is very reasonable.

For your crosscuts, add a cabinetmaker. You may want a free rail at times but at least initially you can use the rail that you need for the cabinet maker.

These tools along with what you have should get you off and running.

Burt
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 PM

The Smart Table is VERY useful. I bought the DIY Smart Table Kit (my own plywood) and eventually bought Eurekazone's banquet table legs. You might be able to do similar with any table and some foam or 2x's or 1x's.

For cross cutting you can do with just the Miter Square and a shortish length of track. I use a 25" length of track. I personally like the handle.

This setup is a crosscutting machine!!

Add one Repeater to the above setup and you have the Cabinet Maker Set. This allows you to do repeated crosscuts of the same length.

For sheet cutting I myself prefer the oldish fashioned long track (actually two lengths connected) and Smart Clamps. I want to keep the saw on the track. The cuts are very accurate for my needs. Remember you'll want some extra length for the start and end of the cuts if you do this.

Add a second Repeater to the mix and you can attach them to the long track and do repeated width sheet cuts ... which is what the Universal Edge Guide does - but in a different way.

Add the Smart Clamp Upgrade and you can clamp the track to the length of a board to rip it lengthwise. Cool!

Do keep in mind that the on-track setups may not have the depth to cut 2x lumber. You'll need a larger bladed saw for that. Others here can tell you more about that than I can.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 AM

Default Can't add much more.

I have one of everything that EZ makes. I find that I like Kenk, use the same configuration he listed. I have the Smart Table and the Multi table. Either one is a must. If you buy nothing else from EZ you will love having that table. You might want two. I use both. I use the Rip Sizer more than the UEG. That is a personal choice and not universal among the EZ users. I have a nearly useless left arm and shoulder. Injured from cancer surgery. I stopped woodworking for quite a time as I too could not handle a sheet of plywood. EZ has given me back my life in woodworking. IF you get the repeaters and the longer track you MAY find the UEG to be easier, but also redundant in tasks. One thing is certain -- if you get the same set up that Burt or Kenk have recommended you will accomplish what you desire according to the tasks you outlined.

My arm limits what I can lug around as well. I was totally sold on EZ when I bought my Rip Sizer and the smart table. I had some EZ track, but not like I have today. My first task for the Rip Sizer and Smart table was some 3/4" plywood for book cases. I had 5 sheets in the back of my Suburban. I opened both doors, and set the Smart Table at the rear end. I could slide the plywood straight off the Suburban and onto the Smart Table. I was able to rip and cross cut to size each sheet according to my needs. One old man and one arm, I built all the book cases my wife needed for her shop. BTW: fabric bolts fit perfectly on a book case shelf.

Hope that helps,
Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 PM

Paul,

I wanted to chime in here as I have a very similar inventory and setup. Shopsmith 500, planer, CNC router @ 18x51 cut capacity (plus can cut over longer not on bed), dust collector, 24x36 laser engraver, drill press, couple other smallish things. Prior to the SS and EZ system, I also had a Ryobi BT3000 tablesaw. I definitely understand and experienced all your concerns with tablesaws and especially the SS. My current shop is slightly smaller @ 12x16 (yeah, I'm packed in). Also a hobbyist at this point (the laser is starting to bring in a few dollars without me advertising).

I built a 24x48 rollaround workbench/cart a few years ago, and it has been invaluable. I can add/remove a B300 bridge setup in a few minutes for when I want to cut something inside. The cart also has fold down wings that I can put up/down as necessary. One wing was and will be again a router table. The other wing I intend to turn into some sort of better cutting station with elements of the EZ-1 design. The down side to this is needing to move stuff off if I need to cut something while in the middle of assembly. Also, it and my shop are not large enough for sheet goods breakdown (plus I would have to carry it ~75' from the driveway to the back yard. To address both problems, I built an outdoor cutting platform, similar to the MFMT that I can carry easy enough from my carport (sheet good cut down) to the backyard (outdoor cutting when weather permits). I can also mount the B300 to this table.

The EZ track system was a game changer for me. No more struggling with hauling heavy plywood to the back yard, trying to manhandle it through a tablesaw (never have used the SS for more than a couple small material test cuts--scares the bejeebers out of me thinking about typical cuts--but is so important for other tasks). The EZ system is so flexible and you can buy what suits your needs. I extensively use the B300 for cross cutting. I don't do much with sheet goods, so still use connected track pieces when I do need to break some down. I have ripped 1x4 boards with near glue-ready quality.

If you decide to take the plunge, I'd recommend starting with a small setup and perhaps a material support system if you don't already have something. Use that for a while and figure out what more you'd need to further enhance your work.

Good luck,
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
I'll start with what tools I already have in my 12 x 20 workshop:
Shopsmith 520 (tablesaw/lathe/drillpress/bandsaw/disk and belt sander/jointer)
12" Planer
Router table
24x36 CNC Router
Scrollsaw
Dust Collector

I am a hobbyist, and don't like cutting sheet goods on a table saw, and the Shopsmith's high table makes it even more dicey. It is also not good for cutting at an angle, since the table, not the saw, tilts.

So the first thing I want to do is overcome the tablesaw limitations for sheet goods. I'd also like to be able to cross-cut long stock accurately and safely -- again something that is hard to do on the table saw. A chop saw is one solution I've considered.

I don't have a lot of room to house something that can't moved easily out of the way or quickly disassembled.

Accuracy is very important to me, as is versatility. I don't want to invest in something that will soon be found to be superfluous as I find it has shortcomings and I need to upgrade.

I don't tend to make the same thing more than once, so versatility is important to me.

I realize how vague all the above is -- but I'm sure I'm in a place similar to that a lot of others have been in, and am open to suggestions as to what EurekaZone product or products would be wise purchases.

Much thanks -- Paul

Tags
advice, clueless, newbie, track