The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Product Request: EZ T-Track Slot Cutter

I think it would be fun to be able to cut an EZ T-track sized slot in any wood surface I want, so that I could make my own rough and ready extrusion out of a 2x4, clamping surface out of a tabletop, etc. and I would like a router bit that was EZ track sized to do it.

The level of accuracy would be sacrificed by the substate, obviously, but also by the unique shape of the slot designó the two humps that register the extrusions are not possible with a spinning router bit. I'm not looking for accuracy, though, just options. I think something like this would allow an amazing number of options, particularly for clamping.

I might try and roll my own by using a couple properly sized bits to cut the groove and then the slot, but I would love to have an EZ specific bit at the ready. Anybody with me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main_wsbit3075.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	6394  
Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

I believe that it was Dik that did instructions for using the SSRK to make exact size dado's. You could use the SSRK and his instructions to make a dado that would fit the width and depth of the EZ Connector extrusion.

Burt
Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 AM

Hey Burt. I couldn't find the post you mention, I think I'm just going to dive in, do some homework, and find a bit that's close enough. I took a look around and found some that almost fit the bill. If I find something that works, I'll post it and the results here. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 AM

This might be what Burt is referring to.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Yes Dik, that is what I was referring to.

Burt
Old 08-13-2014, 03:10 PM

That is a good clip, but isn't really what I'm after. What I want is a two bit router set that will allow me to quickly make anything I want into an connector-ready t-track. I can cobble together a routing setup with a selection of bits and steps that will do the job, but what I'd prefer is an EZ-made solution that's quick and foolproof.

Attached is an image of some brainstorming I did on the idea. I periodically make very specific but out of the ordinary things, and I don't want to have to change up my table or figure out how to secure a bunch of aluminum track each time. I want to pull out a template board with the special configuration of slots and go. I'm also not made of money, and can't expect to have the right length/kind of track at the ready.

Anyway, maybe it's just me. I'm more of an artist than a woodworker. But thanks for the help. The dado vid will definitely come in handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trackSlotCutter.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	6395  
Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 PM

You can have keyway cutters ground to your dimensions. So, I guess you could try that, though it's a big cut to take all in one hit. Add a standard keyway cutter and a plunge router to Dik's video and you're set.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronp View Post
What I want is a two bit router set that will allow me to quickly make anything I want into an connector-ready t-track. I can cobble together a routing setup with a selection of bits and steps that will do the job, but what I'd prefer is an EZ-made solution that's quick and foolproof.
What you show in your sketch will work when combined with Dik's procedure - and I think that you can do it using standard bits. The "leg" of the connector extrusion is .45" (slightly less than 1/2"); as you won't have the grooves seen in the extrusions (SME, etc) to keep the connector aligned, you should probably make the groove in your part using a 3/8" diameter bit and Dik's procedure so that you can get a tight sliding fit between the parts. Then, using an MLCS slot cutter #6637 ($18) centered in the groove you've just cut, you can cut the bottom half of the groove - this cutter is 1" diameter so would cut a groove wide enough for the top leg of the connector, although the width (depth?) of the slot would be a little wider than the extrusion. This would be much cheaper than a special" cutter, plus I've always felt that cutting both grooves at the same time is a lot easier on the router and gives a cleaner finished part. As an aside, you might want to keep the distance of the slot similar to that shown in the MLCS catalog (top of the groove ~3/8" below the top surface?) so there is enough meat in your part that the edges don't break off.

Tom

Last edited by tomp913; 08-13-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll give it a go.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 AM

This is a good idea. Let us know what you come up with.

Last edited by Goblu; 08-19-2014 at 12:41 AM.