The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Display Case

Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Katie, looks to me like you're about ready to tackle those kitchen cabinets you said you wanted to do.........
Good job in making it all work, and look good, too; what's your next project?
Rick
Old 01-20-2014, 12:56 AM

Thanks, Rick. It's motivating to post here and see what others do and share my projects. Your work is always inspiring.

My next project is to put the finishing touches on some cabinet doors. Mainly sanding, glueups and finishing them. Maybe trying hlvp, but not sure yet. These are to match some other doors in existing cabinets at another location. Longstanding project that I kept putting off due to tendonitis. Still need to go slow with the sanding since I don't want to flare up the tendonitis. (I lost my grip, and this is not just a figure of speech ). When I made these doors, I burned a lot of cherry on the shaper. So sand, sand, sand. This was my first woodworking project and I didn't know much (before EZ). Easy to put off the project, but now I'm ready to finish it. I hope to install them in the spring.

After that there are some modular cabinets in the bedroom that will be an EZ project. I already have the doors but am still in the designing stage. I'm designing it around cabinet doors I have. A bunch of $2-each reclaimed cherry doors in quite good shape, shaker style, which is my preferred style. I also have the hardware for them, so it's kind of backward design. But makes it affordable.

I've looked at a bunch of designs. Then I ran into the golden mean stuff and want to look more at design from that angle. This is the stuff that holds projects up for a beginner, you start in the middle and realize that you need to go back some steps. Slow, but worth it if the results are decent. I'm going to try a few smaller cabinets first with some recycled materials. So, I believe my next very small project is to make a fibonnaci gauge. I'll post it when I do, though not really ez, it may be of interest. I'll also post the progress of the modular cabinets when I get to that. Again, newbies might like to see someone who doesn't know much about the field using the EZ stuff. Learning to use sketchup might help, but not sure I want to invest the time in learning it.

Then there's the summer work, mostly DIY fixup of a dilapidated place. This year I'm probably concentrating on trim and perhaps some flooring. I may make some large outdoor planters or furniture if it looks quick enough. I'll definitely use EZ for that.

The kitchen will be a bit down the line. I'm looking at the materials I have and will likely make the doors. The nice doors that used to be available no longer are, or they are priced way too high. So I'll make them out of nice curly maple that I already have. Using my new planer . More about that as I proceed. But first the modular cabinets.

Long post, but it's helpful to share these thoughts, keeps the momentum going. Thanks for asking.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Thanks, Rick. It's motivating to post here and see what others do and share my projects. Your work is always inspiring.

My next project is to put the finishing touches on some cabinet doors. Mainly sanding, glueups and finishing them. Maybe trying hlvp, but not sure yet. These are to match some other doors in existing cabinets at another location. Longstanding project that I kept putting off due to tendonitis. Still need to go slow with the sanding since I don't want to flare up the tendonitis. (I lost my grip, and this is not just a figure of speech ). When I made these doors, I burned a lot of cherry on the shaper. So sand, sand, sand. This was my first woodworking project and I didn't know much (before EZ). Easy to put off the project, but now I'm ready to finish it. I hope to install them in the spring.

After that there are some modular cabinets in the bedroom that will be an EZ project. I already have the doors but am still in the designing stage. I'm designing it around cabinet doors I have. A bunch of $2-each reclaimed cherry doors in quite good shape, shaker style, which is my preferred style. I also have the hardware for them, so it's kind of backward design. But makes it affordable.

I've looked at a bunch of designs. Then I ran into the golden mean stuff and want to look more at design from that angle. This is the stuff that holds projects up for a beginner, you start in the middle and realize that you need to go back some steps. Slow, but worth it if the results are decent. I'm going to try a few smaller cabinets first with some recycled materials. So, I believe my next very small project is to make a fibonnaci gauge. I'll post it when I do, though not really ez, it may be of interest. I'll also post the progress of the modular cabinets when I get to that. Again, newbies might like to see someone who doesn't know much about the field using the EZ stuff. Learning to use sketchup might help, but not sure I want to invest the time in learning it.

Then there's the summer work, mostly DIY fixup of a dilapidated place. This year I'm probably concentrating on trim and perhaps some flooring. I may make some large outdoor planters or furniture if it looks quick enough. I'll definitely use EZ for that.

The kitchen will be a bit down the line. I'm looking at the materials I have and will likely make the doors. The nice doors that used to be available no longer are, or they are priced way too high. So I'll make them out of nice curly maple that I already have. Using my new planer . More about that as I proceed. But first the modular cabinets.

Long post, but it's helpful to share these thoughts, keeps the momentum going. Thanks for asking.
Katie...... I'm worn out just reading your list of things to do..... I mean, I've got a list, but it's more in the 'don't-take-on-any-projects-that-make-you-late-for-dinner' category.....lol. Well, with all of those projects ahead of you, I'm anticipating some great pics.
Fibonacci gauge- I had to go look that one up. (My wife, tho, knew immediately what Fibonacci meant- go figure; how's she do that?) I always knew there was a relationship re. proportions in design, but didn't know it was so 'mathematical'- I always just eye-balled it till I was satisfied.
Seeing as how you seem to do so well finding good deals on used material, maybe sometime you could post a short note on how/where you come on these deals? I always appreciate someone who can beneficially recycle still-usable material.

You're doing great- keep it up!
Rick
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Katie,

Where is your tendonitis?

About a year ago I had a real issue with "tennis" elbow in my left arm, which of course relates to your hand function. There were a few things I found trying to solve it.

First, my docs were no help.

Second I was doing most of the damage during sleep, and the use of a wrist brace during the night that limited my hand motion greatly helped the situation.

Third, using flex bars was the best exercise in getting the pain to subside, strengthening the muscles and tendons back to health.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:56 PM

Rick, the best place for me has been the Habitat for Humanity Restore center. Many communities have them and how good they are varies. They get new stuff a lot from retailers and contractors. Plus used from renovations. Unfortunately the previous management left and it is now not nearly as good. But I collected a bunch of materials when they were great since I have this major renovation ongoing and can store stuff at that site. (Why I have so many projects ). For Restore, you can get on their email and they will have half-price sales on certain items weekly, like wood or doors or windows or plumbing. All my storm doors were bought this way for $5-15, for instance.

We also have a local place that is sometimes good that gets building materials. I've gotten a few specific things off Craig's list, but most things are overpriced and too labor intensive to find things this way. Except free plywood or bricks or things like that. For hardware and household there also any number of local charities or Salvation Army, Goodwill etc., but they don't have wood and cabinet doors. After while you find out which places have which items. There are urban wood places springing up now and they have some cool and unusual wood not usually found elsewhere. I have my eye on it, though for a few years hence.

My strategy is that whenever I am driving by any of these places on errands, I'll stop and very quickly peruse what they have. Also garage sales, when I was driving by one. Or items with a "free" sign by the side of the road. I rarely make special trips, though. I'm doing this much less now, though since I have most of what I need.

I had a list in my head of items and measurements in my electronic device. I got nearly all my cellular blinds/wood slat blinds this way. Good quality, like new, but you need to find brackets. Also brand new good quality faucets, pfister for $10 (half off sale). New real Corian countertop for $15, etc. I've very rarely bought new since I can't afford to fix up an old house any other way. I painted most of my house indoors and out with $70/gallon paint bought for $5/gallon or less. Mostly Graham ceramic paint in light neutral colors mixed together. etc, etc.

I enjoy it, though. The challenge of the hunt. It's a systematic approach with flexibility built in. But I've been looking for a whole bunch of stuff all at once, so very worth it.

A friend of mine used to drive a truck through certain neighborhoods on the evening before trash pickup day and also certain apartment complexes near the end of the month. He would take orders for items from his friends. He would drop other stuff off at the Restore or charities. It was his hobby and way of keeping things out of the landfills. He had a whole philosophy about it. Very interesting guy. Popular, too. I had another friend who said his mantra was "Never pay retail."

The EZ system is perfect for use with reclaimed materials, to my mind.

Last edited by Goblu; 01-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyToys View Post
Katie,

Where is your tendonitis?

About a year ago I had a real issue with "tennis" elbow in my left arm, which of course relates to your hand function. There were a few things I found trying to solve it.

First, my docs were no help.

Second I was doing most of the damage during sleep, and the use of a wrist brace during the night that limited my hand motion greatly helped the situation.

Third, using flex bars was the best exercise in getting the pain to subside, strengthening the muscles and tendons back to health.
Jack, unfortunately it was in my hands. I went full throttle at a project and it caused these huge problems. Prying my hands open in the morning and loss of ability to grip much. For months and months. Plus pain.

I went for physical therapy and they helped some, but I still had numbness in the morning and some "trigger finger" problems. They never mentioned the wrist brace, which I think was a major oversight. My family doctor told me to try that and it has worked very well. You are very right about the damage being done at night. Mine was initially done in the day, or perhaps it added to the damage at night.

Unfortunately if you exercise for a hand injury you can easily do more damage. The physical therapist was adamant about this. Muscles in your hands are iffy. I now wear special gloves to protect my finger joints for nearly everything that involves any lifting, gardening, long distance driving, etc. I use the Bionic brand designed for arthritis (their sale items, of couse . ) Expensive but makes a big difference in keeping your hands from damage. They are leather but wash well so long lasting. Highly recommended.

Of course, developing muscles in other parts of your arms keeps strain off your hands as well. Plus mild stretching of your joints when stiff.

Wrist brace + Bionic gloves = recovery

Last edited by Goblu; 01-20-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: correction change to Bionic brand
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM

Katie,
I live near Dallas Texas about 60 miles from there but in Dallas there are five restore shops. As you said the challenge is in the Hunt I love the restore.

I built a summer cabin out in New Mexico and the whole cabin should be called restore. Railings doors insulation siding ladders countertops floors sinks faucets toilets showers, You name it and sooner or later they will have it. Paint stain rollers roller pans caulk everything.

I have not been working on my multiform table as of late I did install a router lift in the table and I found that my sliding fence will also act as the fence for the router.

I went and researched the easy Dragon patent and figure it out what he was doing with the double cyclone and it all makes a lot of sense. The only problem I think he will encounter is the small size the video he posted on Eurekazone several years ago was just a inch and a half or 2 inch I think he's going to need a lot more CFM to make it work better. Of course that is what I have been working on I took a super dust Deputy which is 4 inches and had it originally set up on top of the trashcan then I got to thinking about why not put the dust deputy with the Within another can so you really have two cyclones going at the same time of another trashcan and there you have it I have the two-stage dust collector that works great still doing some testing though.

Tom
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 AM

Default Nice work!

Thanks for posting your pictures and the excellent descriptions.