The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 03-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Default Jawhorse?

Anyone use a Rockwell Jawhorse with EZ (they are 50% off at some Lowe's - $79)?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM

I've had one for a few years, and I think it's great. Effortless to clamp things down, and strong as hell. Pre-EZ I attached a couple of 2x4's to a piece of plywood and made a base for my Mitre Saw. I put it between the jaws, clamp it, and good to go. I did the same for a smart table top. Made a square frame of 2x4's, maybe 8" or so, attached it to a plywood base, and done. I made it square because I wasn't sure whether I'd use the smart table parallel or perpendicular to the vise's jaws.

I strongly recommend it, but here are the issues I've had. It was advertised as having "no plastic parts". Mostly true, but the knobs to tighten the legs are plastic. One of mine broke within a week. Must of over-tightened, or something. They sent me another within a few days. Second issue: I stumble over the legs from time-to-time. I just have to be careful around it. Third issue: I don't like folding it up and carrying it. (Basement to outside.) I don't do it often, and don't clearly remember why. Weight, of course. And the wheels work, but with limitations. That's probably more of a heads-up than an issue.

I've also read of some dissatisfaction with an add-on to allow it to hold larger pieces of plywood. I don't remember the reasons.

A couple of months ago I considered getting another. I noticed there was a new model at a lesser cost, and the older model was still available. I read up on the reviews, and couldn't figure out what the difference was. So often lower cost also reflects lower quality, but I really have no idea if that's so. I'd check the reviews.

Maybe I should have skipped all of the above and just said this: I love the thing. A tool purchase that has really worked out for me. Incredibly versatile. But do beware the legs.

Judd
Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 PM

Thanks, Mike. My closest lowes did not have the sale price, but I looked at the next closest one (about 12 miles away) and they did have it at that price. It really depends on the store, not the region, apparently. In case anyone is interested, you can purchase it for that store online and pick it up later, that way you don't make an unnecessary trip.

Last edited by Goblu; 03-23-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM

A couple of months ago I bought Sears' Craftsman copy of the Rockwell Jawhorse. A little smaller but about half the price, so I bought two of them. All steel construction and well-built. I don't have a garage or shed to use as a shop, so I frequently use them in my yard to support pieces to be cut, routed, etc. So far, I'm very happy with their design. One push with my foot locks the workpiece securely. They only take seconds to set up or take down for storage. I plan on building plywood bases for some of my tools, such as grinders, to be clamped down while using them. I think having two is better than one. With a little ingenuity you can support large workpieces too.

"Don't sweat the petty things,
and don't pet the sweaty things!"
Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 AM

After posting a reply the other day I read some of the reviews of the new model, and also the attachments to allow holding full sheets of plywood. I've never seen nor tried the attachment. I just remembered deciding against it based on reviews. I need to update my last post. The attachment isn't worth it for my needs right now. But it apparently works great for many people.

As for the new model jawhorse: I ordered one from Lowes. Such a great price. I'll have no trouble making use of two of them. I appreciate the heads-up on the cost. The Sear's model also reads like it's worthwhile.