The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Display Case

Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the calculator suggestions, mark and mac. I'll try them out.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Default Extension tables

I really like the extension tables. They are easy to make and were all from scrap wood, using pocket hole screws. The first picture shows one folded up. The second shows it extended. The third shows it "attached" to the main table (cart). I haven't attached it yet, but propped it up in place to take the photo. It's a long space but not very wide, so I didn't show other configurations. But there are various ways to configure it shown in the video I linked on the first page.

I am planning on putting SME's on two sides (24" and 48") and on the other short side putting attachments. Since the table/cart has SME on all four sides this will allow me to attach it in different configurations and still be able to use a bridge, etc. I may use 1/2" ply over the 3/4" ply on the non-sme sides to allow me to use drop-in tops. Still pondering that. (The original plans call for 1/2" over 3/4" ply with inset t-track on the main table, but I used sme instead.)

I do like being able to have an open top for some operations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folded ext table.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	6440   Click image for larger version

Name:	set up ext table.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	6441   Click image for larger version

Name:	table attached to cart.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	6442  

Last edited by Goblu; 09-01-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 PM

Default A better way to make the extension table legs

I mentioned that I blew out one of the extension table legs while drilling it, so I wanted a better way to make them. I routed them instead. The holes are for Woodcraft 3/8" diameter screw in legs with a knock-in t-nut.

In the first picture I show the leg clamped to the leg of the MTFC. Those many mortises starting to pay off . It was flush with the top of the table. This enabled me to route the hole, much smoother and cleaner and it didn't seem like blowout would be an issue. I routed it to the depth of my plunge bit, then drilled a bit to make it deeper. Picture two shows the hole once routed and drilled. This deeper hole is for the screw part of the legs. I then carefully tapped a slightly larger hole for the t-nut that the legs screw into. Just a shallow hole to fit the shaft part of the t-nut. Worked great. I did glue the t-nuts in with superglue since they seemed subject to pulling out.

The third picture shows the source of my leg materials, explaining the mysterious dowel holes in the legs. It was a cast-off ikea bookshelf that I took apart. I did use a few of dowel holes for some of the leg connectors. Maybe the others will come in handy sometimes, who knows . You can see the finished legs in the previous post attached to the extension table.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	extension legs clamped to mtfc.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	6443   Click image for larger version

Name:	holes drilled.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	6444   Click image for larger version

Name:	source of leg materials.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	6445  

Last edited by Goblu; 09-01-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:52 AM

Default Sliding shelves, drawer, handle

Heading into the home stretch, though that's always deceptive. I installed the sliding shelves and discovered I was short one drawer slide. But it looks like the Bosch LBoxxes will fit fine. The LBoxxes are wider than the Festool systainers, but a pretty good system and often come with their tools. I'd say of equal strength to the systainers and fit together nicely as you can see in the bottom two boxes.

I also built the bottom drawer for one of the carts-second photo. I like the way he designed it. Fairly roomy for what would be awkward space. It's not on slides but stays put due to a stop on the bottom of the drawer that goes through the cutout portion on the bottom of the carcase, shown in photo 3. It's very solid.

Plus, I have made the pieces for the handle, but still have to assemble it. But you can see it in place in photo 4. Still using up scrap oak and plywood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelve and drawer.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	6449   Click image for larger version

Name:	drawer open.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	6450   Click image for larger version

Name:	drawer bottom.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	6451   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelves drawer handle.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	6452  

Last edited by Goblu; 09-07-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: more photos
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Looking good Katie !! I'm excited to see the finished set up.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Katie,
Just curious how you are liking the MFTC's you built? After watching the video for like the 20th time I finally purchased the MFTC plans.

Tags
gang cutting, jessem mortise mill, multi function table cart