The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM

Default An EZ experiment

I haven't seen this use for an ez1 discussed, so I thought I would throw it out there for others to get ideas from. I have had a smart table for a couple of years and recently got an EZ1 and a SSRK. It occurred to me that the EZ1 can also be used as an ornamental mill. I threw together a quick jig with a handle to turn the work piece and an indexing wheel and gave it a try. I don't have the dual ssrk yet, but after this experiment I think I will be ordering one soon. With a little effort you could either slant the workpiece or the track and do tapered turnings also. It is very easy to use the EZ1 to make large dowels or fancy table legs. I made this setup in ten minutes. I am sure Dino could come up with a much better system with a little thought to make the EZ1 even more useful.

The pictures show the setup I made. I used a flat bit to round the stock. Then I made a couple of decorative bits on the turning with the ssrk and a decorative router bit and finally used the indexing wheel to do a few flutes. It was EZ. Hope this inspires others to try new things with their EZ1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130502150806286.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	5386   Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130502151317351.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	5387   Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130502152326645.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	5388   Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130502153833535.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	5389  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliep0913 View Post
I haven't seen this use for an ez1 discussed, so I thought I would throw it out there for others to get ideas from. I have had a smart table for a couple of years and recently got an EZ1 and a SSRK. It occurred to me that the EZ1 can also be used as an ornamental mill. I threw together a quick jig with a handle to turn the work piece and an indexing wheel and gave it a try. I don't have the dual ssrk yet, but after this experiment I think I will be ordering one soon. With a little effort you could either slant the workpiece or the track and do tapered turnings also. It is very easy to use the EZ1 to make large dowels or fancy table legs. I made this setup in ten minutes. I am sure Dino could come up with a much better system with a little thought to make the EZ1 even more useful.

The pictures show the setup I made. I used a flat bit to round the stock. Then I made a couple of decorative bits on the turning with the ssrk and a decorative router bit and finally used the indexing wheel to do a few flutes. It was EZ. Hope this inspires others to try new things with their EZ1.

This absolutely rocks!!!

Well, now you've totally ruined my 'time off from the shop'......
Mucho thanks for posting,
Rick
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
I am sure Dino could come up with a much better system with a little thought to make the EZ1 even more useful.

I knew that.
Make an open design tool and put the best tool of all...to work.

NICE!!! Welcome to ez.

sorry hat we don't include instructions how to do that...
and you had to come up all by yourself.....
Thanks for posting.
Good antidote and fuel to continue...

tx
Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM

WOW! Very nice use for the EZ-1. The versatility of the EZ-1 is further proven. The combination of the open top and the capability for drop-in modules really makes the EZ-1 a complete woodworking center.

Thanks for sharing.

Joe
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejacket View Post
WOW! Very nice use for the EZ-1. The versatility of the EZ-1 is further proven. The combination of the open top and the capability for drop-in modules really makes the EZ-1 a complete woodworking center.

Thanks for sharing.

Joe
Joe, Time to start working on the drop -in Modules.
You have one, Burt has few, Charlie has the best so far...
Rick has few...Dik made a nice Door bench add -on...

Yes. Time to compile all the ideas and start working.

Charlie,
keep working. The ez devil is on the details.

tx
d
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Default Off to the races!

It is off to the races! Let's see ol' greenie beat that!

I like it! You took a lathe set and re-purposed it to the EZ1. I seem to remember that Black and Decker has some sort of the same idea in a table top unit. It would also do spirals on the blank, by moving from one end to the other as you turned the handle the router would move.

I may have that book still around somewhere -- old from 1960's if I remember correctly. Very good adaption you have made.

Phil
Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 AM

Very nice. Bet you could make a pattern and guide the SSrk off of it.

Mike
Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 AM

I agree with all above great idea. It just does not stop what can be done with this system when you get to thinking.

That is why EZ blows me away when something comes up and you look at and say wow that is cool and so frigging simple why just coming to be now crazy.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
Very nice. Bet you could make a pattern and guide the SSrk off of it.
Mike, that is a great idea. All you would need to do is put a guide pin on the underside of the ssrk track and use the smart clamps to clamp your pattern to the underside of the track. That would open up a whole new world of possibilities with the EZ1.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Mike, that is a great idea. All you would need to do is put a guide pin on the underside of the ssrk track and use the smart clamps to clamp your pattern to the underside of the track. That would open up a whole new world of possibilities with the EZ1.
In other words combine your machine with the EZ copier and you're off to the races!!!!!