The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 10-06-2015, 10:42 AM

So in actual practice for you experienced guys, did the ACE end up being more of a cut line indicator than a chip inhibitor?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Thanks Rick. I will take a look at my newer base to see where I can screw in the 1/2" ply base plate.

Scott
Old 10-06-2015, 11:26 AM

That's what it's sounding like. Feels like there are too many variables in play.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Thanks Sean. Are there pics anywhere, I get it in concept but .... I poked around a bit and couldn't find anything. I think I'm concluding reading from the experienced guys that the ACEs might be a bit more hassle than they are worth given the variables in play (e.g. clamping pressure...) I did look and my more recent attempts on cutting new ACEs and the ACE on the non-cut side was already butchered/cut so in theory shouldn't be raising the rail but will recheck this weekend. I'm going to test blade wobble tonight using a dial indicator. I'm not seeing anything obvious but you never now.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:25 PM

Found this link, it has a lot of good info and some pics that might help. The ACE's work pretty cool when they're new. It's nice that they indicate the cutline, then you get to trust them , then they move or wear, than you're second guessing where your cutline really is, then you throw them away and screw a block of wood to your base and make an indicator, now nothing moves or changes, and you can trust your cutline again, life is good.
http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Thanks Sean. Are there pics anywhere, I get it in concept but .... I poked around a bit and couldn't find anything. I think I'm concluding reading from the experienced guys that the ACEs might be a bit more hassle than they are worth given the variables in play (e.g. clamping pressure...) I did look and my more recent attempts on cutting new ACEs and the ACE on the non-cut side was already butchered/cut so in theory shouldn't be raising the rail but will recheck this weekend. I'm going to test blade wobble tonight using a dial indicator. I'm not seeing anything obvious but you never now.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:19 AM

I'm also a recent arrival to the "Zone" and had some fits with the ACE after initial setup. After a couple of days I discovered my problems. First, varying the amount of pressure applied while making a cut can really affect accuracy and quality. Second, the thin kerf blade I was using easily deflects also degrading cut quality. My solution was to stop leaning on the saw and replace the thin kerf blade with a regular thicker one. Eureka! Problem solved, so far. If I continue to have problems, I'm going to try Dik's method of using pvc.