The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 03-15-2016, 12:05 PM

Default 45 degree miter joints with a JessEm 8003 dowelling jig.

I just posted a blog on this little modification I made for the JessEm 8003 Dowelling Jig so that I could do some miter joints for some baseboard I'm installing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7335.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	6810

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 03-15-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
I just posted a blog on this little modification I made for the JessEm 8003 Dowelling Jig so that I could do some miter joints for some baseboard I'm installing.

Attachment 6810
Dik, brilliant, as usual....

My only observation/complaint would be that there is no sawdust on your workshop floor... How do you achieve that? Makes me wonder if your sawdust sneaks over at night to my shop- I seem to always have a boat-load of it....

Thanks for sharing- great tip!

Rick
Old 03-15-2016, 03:54 PM

Quick, practical, very clean. Did notice that you used your hip to hold the jig while you clamped it. Maybe a little piece on top to hold it in place for clamping.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:19 PM

Thank you. I've been working since last summer to get my shop back together after having to tear it apart for installation of a drain system. I decided to do things with far more planning than the original. For one thing, I wanted to be able to move around and move wood around more freely, have more storage, a place for everything, and most things on wheels so I can move them as necessary. I'm maybe half done, but I can move around and keep things cleaner. At least the shop is to the point where I can start using it again to get other things accomplished. You actually see it not too long after a sweeping (and you don't see several areas that have lots of saw dust on the floor).

I used my hip on purpose, as I only have two hands, but I will definitely have to look into a way to hold it in place for clamping. Or a better way to clamp it.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 03-16-2016, 03:05 AM

Thanks for this. I spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out how to do something like this with my Jessem, but since I would need to account for various angles (I do more sculpture than carpentry) I decided it was above my station. Now that I have a good example to go from I may as well have a few common angles at the ready.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:56 AM

Arron, glad I could give you the idea.

Thanks to all your suggestions, I've been thinking that if I make it longer, it might be easier to clamp the workpiece. Here is my latest idea, the mod is fastened to the workbench, the JessEm fastened to it, the side registration stop fastened to the JessEm, and then the workpiece clamped to the mod and the registration stop. The mod is now made from a single piece of 2x.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JessEm08003-45-new.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	6811

Arron, you could even have several different common angle mods attached to a bench, and have a doweling station.

I've attached the SketchUp file of the setup for those that use SU.

JessEm08003-45-new.skp

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 03-17-2016, 01:28 AM

I went back over my sketches, and my attempt had the wood sandwiched between two triangle shaped blocks, clamped diagonally to the wood surface, if that makes sense. Needless to sayŚ too many parts and not stable enough to expect repeatable accuracy.

I like the lateral clamping support you've added in the new designs, but an additional wrinkle in my use case is that I often want to join long panels. That support will still be good for starting right on the edge without eyeballing it, but I would have to either remove it each time or have it swing out of the way somehow. My problem to deal with.

This looks to be a very quick mod to prototype, though, so I'm sure I'll have a quiver of them stacked up somewhere soon.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:04 AM

Yeah. that side registration plate sure makes registering the edge of the workpiece easier. I used to use my small square to align the edges, but this is so much faster and easier.

You do have to remove or swing out of the way when doweling wider pieces, but I see it as a small price to pay. If you are going to use the extension rods for wider spacing, then it becomes a bit of a hastle.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models