The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 11-27-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad26 View Post
Bumpnstump

Ok so I am all over you sharing how to bolt this B-300 bridge to a table without the using SME track .

On the other hand if its a matter of spending a few more bucks to get a system that is going to give me more versatility I don't mind spending the money on the SME track .
Give me your opinion on that choice please

Thanks
This pic is a view of the front bridge mounting plate. The vertical slots in the bridge are for adjusting up and down, should the need arise. The rear bridge mount (not shown) is the same as the front bridge mount. The EZ extrusions that the bridge mounts are fastened to are for moving the bridges to the right or left, which will be necessary to set your bridge at perfect 90˚ from the front edge of your work table. In most cases, when you mount the bridges to your table, it's ok to permanently mount the rear bridge to the table w/bolts, thru holes in the table, lined up w/the slots in the bridge- the rear bridge doesn't need to move to the right or the left. For the front bridge, mount it the same as the rear bridge, except, instead of drilling single holes, make the holes elongated (horizontally) to allow the front bridge to move slightly right or left- you'll use this right/left movement when it comes time to set up your bridge. All of this will become clearer once you have the bridges in hand.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge-  front.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	6547  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 11-27-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
This pic is a view of the front bridge mounting plate. The vertical slots in the bridge are for adjusting up and down, should the need arise. The rear bridge mount (not shown) is the same as the front bridge mount. The EZ extrusions that the bridge mounts are fastened to are for moving the bridges to the right or left, which will be necessary to set your bridge at perfect 90˚ from the front edge of your work table. In most cases, when you mount the bridges to your table, it's ok to permanently mount the rear bridge to the table w/bolts, thru holes in the table, lined up w/the slots in the bridge- the rear bridge doesn't need to move to the right or the left. For the front bridge, mount it the same as the rear bridge, except, instead of drilling single holes, make the holes elongated (horizontally) to allow the front bridge to move slightly right or left- you'll use this right/left movement when it comes time to set up your bridge. All of this will become clearer once you have the bridges in hand.
Rick
So let me get this in my head one step at a time.

The EZ extrusions is what the bridge mounts to , I got that.

Thats the same extrusions I am using for the track saw ? http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezxh7362.htm

I am going to read this a few more times to understand it.
Like you said I am sure it will become clearer when I have the bridges in my hand.

I only have one EZ extrusions its a 48 inch i bought with my kit , I guess I would need to buy one more to have one for the back if I have this right.

Or I could just buy a few feet of the track thats intended for the bridge .
Would that be this extrusion http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezx7358.htm

I am on the EZ web site trying to look at all the extrusions to understand the differences between them.

Boy you could go nuts with all the possibilities with these extrusions .

Thanks for your patience I am bit slow trying to take so many new ideas in my head.

Last edited by nomad26; 11-27-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:50 PM

Nomad, tomorrow, I'll take some pics to help you better understand how the bridge can be utilized in a home-made work bench. I agree that the learning-curve w/EZ can be a bit steep.
Rick
Old 11-28-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Nomad, tomorrow, I'll take some pics to help you better understand how the bridge can be utilized in a home-made work bench. I agree that the learning-curve w/EZ can be a bit steep.
Rick
That would be awesome I look forward to your pictures. I have already learned a bunch from your pictures . I just need to go slow . Thats my down fall I go to fast .
Old 11-28-2014, 11:07 AM

Nomad,

Many people use the SME extrusion to mount the bridge. SME is similar to t-track, but larger and with side connection capability as well. EZ used to throw in a couple ~12" pieces of SME, sometimes slightly used, upon request with purchase of a B-300. I think you might also be able to use EZ t-track to mount the B-300. See http://www.eurekazone.com/self_align...ons_s/1971.htm for their full list of extrusions.

As Rick said, you don't have to use EZ extrusion to mount the bridge system, however, it makes squaring the saw track to your reference edge much easier. Rick is one of the masters of innovatively using the EZ extrusions.

Also, you don't have to build a perfectly square box to mount to, you only need a straight reference edge, I think most people use the front, and a means to square the bridged track to that edge. It will all become much clearer when you have and can start using the bridge.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_okc View Post
Nomad,

Many people use the SME extrusion to mount the bridge. SME is similar to t-track, but larger and with side connection capability as well. EZ used to throw in a couple ~12" pieces of SME, sometimes slightly used, upon request with purchase of a B-300. I think you might also be able to use EZ t-track to mount the B-300. See http://www.eurekazone.com/self_align...ons_s/1971.htm for their full list of extrusions.

As Rick said, you don't have to use EZ extrusion to mount the bridge system, however, it makes squaring the saw track to your reference edge much easier. Rick is one of the masters of innovatively using the EZ extrusions.

Also, you don't have to build a perfectly square box to mount to, you only need a straight reference edge, I think most people use the front, and a means to square the bridged track to that edge. It will all become much clearer when you have and can start using the bridge.
Ok this is helpful I was going nuts looking at all those extrusions . I am trying to keep this as simple as I can . So many variations with those extrusions.

So the one I want is the SME.

At this point I just want to make this as easy as I can thats my main
objective.

Now I am not trying to save money or get innovative .
I get it that the table can be out of square but the track and the front fence thats attached to the bridge must be square.

Once again what ever parts I need to make it eaiser is what I want.
I have a large assembly table and I am sure its not square but if I could attach this Bridge 300 to it and square it as easily as possible with some track It would get me rolling so I could learn more as I go.

At this point I don't mind spending the money to make it easier for me to attach the B-300 to my assembly table and square it to a front fence.

Bottom line I am willing to buy what ever track I need to simplify the process and buy what ever parts that I could expand in the future.

I just called Eureka Zone to ask them to include the proper extrusions in my order . Only the phone operator was there so I will call back on Monday and maybe add the parts I need.

You guys are all a big help and its exciting to maybe one day be putting my table saw on CL for sale. Thought I would never being saying that.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Rick

Here is a pictorial about building a simple table for using the EZ B-300 bridge.

-pic one shows the scrap lumber I'll be using. I scrounged around the shop, and this is what I had: cut-offs from some 2x6's and an old piece of 3/4" plywood. Note that the final table dimension needs to be 22" less than the piece of EZ track that makes up the bridge. In this project, I'm assuming a 48" piece of track, so my table is a bit under 26" on the longest side.

-pic two shows the lumber after dimensioning and assembling- ready for the ply top to be attached. Note the horizontal slots milled into each side of the table- those are where the bridge mounts will attach. I made slots in all sides so that I could mount the bridge either lengthwise, or crosswise on the table; in these pics, the bridge is mounted crosswise.

-pic three shows the top on, the bridge mounts loosely mounted, and the track ready to be installed.

… to be continued in next post….
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table 1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	6548   Click image for larger version

Name:	table 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	6549   Click image for larger version

Name:	table 3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	6550  
Old 11-28-2014, 05:50 PM

….. continuing on from the previous post….

-pics one and two show the track loosely installed onto the bridge mounts. Notice, in the first pic, that the track is not 90˚ to the front of the table (as indicated by the framing square). Here is where the horizontal slots in the table help us- merely shuffle the bridge mounts to the right or left until the gap between the track and the square is eliminated. (Pic two)

-pic three shows how it will look from the front, underside of the front bridge-mount. The bridge is now ready to use.

-pic four shows a piece of EZ SME mounted on the front of the table. The bridge mount is attached to this SME instead of the wood of the table. The pic shows a piece of SME running the full width of the table (that's all I had to hand), but, in reality, you only need 7-8" of SME in order to mount the bridge. Also, if you decide to use SME, you'll need some of the fasteners shown on the sawhorse. They are a piece of EZ connector material (~2" long) w/a 5/16-18 stud inserted into them. If you decide to order the SME to mount your B-300 bridge, be sure to also get the EZ fasteners to hold the bridge to the SME.

Hopefully, this will help you visualize a basic and inexpensive setup for the EZ B-300 bridge using material you might have laying around the shop.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table 4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	6551   Click image for larger version

Name:	table 5.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	6552   Click image for larger version

Name:	table 6.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	6553   Click image for larger version

Name:	table 7.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	6554  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
….. continuing on from the previous post….

-pics one and two show the track loosely installed onto the bridge mounts. Notice, in the first pic, that the track is not 90˚ to the front of the table (as indicated by the framing square). Here is where the horizontal slots in the table help us- merely shuffle the bridge mounts to the right or left until the gap between the track and the square is eliminated. (Pic two)

-pic three shows how it will look from the front, underside of the front bridge-mount. The bridge is now ready to use.

-pic four shows a piece of EZ SME mounted on the front of the table. The bridge mount is attached to this SME instead of the wood of the table. The pic shows a piece of SME running the full width of the table (that's all I had to hand), but, in reality, you only need 7-8" of SME in order to mount the bridge. Also, if you decide to use SME, you'll need some of the fasteners shown on the sawhorse. They are a piece of EZ connector material (~2" long) w/a 5/16-18 stud inserted into them. If you decide to order the SME to mount your B-300 bridge, be sure to also get the EZ fasteners to hold the bridge to the SME.

Hopefully, this will help you visualize a basic and inexpensive setup for the EZ B-300 bridge using material you might have laying around the shop.

Rick
Ok this is really really cool Rick.
I think i can make this happen.
You did a great job making this simple to understand

One question the slots to align the track ,are those on the back side of the bridge ? Meaning the other side of the table not by the handle ?

Because I don't see them in the pictures on the front side . Or maybe the slots are covered up by the SME.

I understand the slots are for adjusting the bridge,
It just through me off when I didn't see them by the bridge handle.
I think thats about the only question other then that its diffidently simple.

And thanks for telling me what to buy when I order the SME.
I am going to reread this a few more times.

Crazy thing my neighbor came over to see what I am building yesterday
I had all my saws out . He said man can you explain whats going on with all these contraptions .
The short story was I told him I am trying to learn a new system thats safer then my table saw and cut off saw.
But some times I am not sure how to make a cut with the new system so then I pull out my other saws.
So I got so excited about sharing with him why the new system is so much safer I was on a roll.
He understood though he got it.
He just bought a new table saw himself.

So today I went over to bring him a piece of apple pie,
and I see his daughter running from the house. I said give this pie to your Dad she barely even said thanks.
I said that was weird

Later she came over with her Mother and they told me he cut his hand on the TS they had to take him to get stitches . I was bummed to hear that .

Confirms I need to learn this system. Thats the positive side of the story. Don't like to share negative news .

But I love this system for its safety.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad26 View Post
One question the slots to align the track ,are those on the back side of the bridge ? Meaning the other side of the table not by the handle ?

Because I don't see them in the pictures on the front side . Or maybe the slots are covered up by the SME.

I understand the slots are for adjusting the bridge,
It just through me off when I didn't see them by the bridge handle.
Yes, I put slots on the front, where the front bridge will mount; and, I put slots on the back, where the back bridge will mount.
When I put the SME on there, it covered over the slots. Of course, if you decide you want to use SME, you don't even need slots- the slots are an option for those who don't have, or don't want to use, SME.
Rick