The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Default Hilti WSC-267E Hypoid Saw

Ok Folks, here are my impressions of the Hilti WSC-267E. First off, I’m going to say that this saw is no longer sold in North America. It can still be found on e-Bay and Craigslist. This saw is still sold in Europe in the 110volt configuration as the WSC-265. As best as I can tell, it is nearly identical, except the WSC-265 also includes a riving knife.

The WSC-267E is a blade-right, hypoid-drive circular saw, manufactured in Liechtenstein for Hilti. Basically, it is a VERY high quality hand held circular saw that is designed to be compatible with use on the common track saw aluminum extrusion used by Hilti, Festool, and Makita. This saw retailed for roughly $350, and can be purchased on e-Bay for between $150-$250, depending on condition and shipping details. Parts are still available. This saw uses the common 7.25” saw blades with 5/8” arbor. Below I will list some of the great features of this saw.

The first thing you notice when you pick up the saw is the double-finger trigger and thumb activated safety switch. I have come to have a tremendous appreciation for ergonomics on tools, and for certain tools a two finger trigger is a HUGE plus! The handle layout (double finger trigger with thumb actuated safety) is nearly identical to my Festool KS-120 miter saw, so holding the Hilti saw felt very natural. The two fingered trigger is very comfortable, particularly when using the saw for extended periods. However, with a two finger trigger you have fewer fingers to hold the saw. My guess is that is the reason why the saw also has a safety switch, to prevent accidental starts.

When you start the saw, you’ll immediately notice a pause before the blade comes up to full speed. This soft start feature serves multiple purposes. First of all, it helps to reduce the reaction torque normally associated with hypoid and worm drive saws. Second, it makes for a more pleasant saw to work with. Rather than a sharp, violent start, the saw feels more like it is spooling up. Even with the soft start, the blade still comes up to full speed within a second or so, so I do not feel that this feature interferes with speed or productivity.

This soft start feature is part of the variable speed electronics suite built into the saw. Just to the rear of the handle there is a dial marked 1-6. This dial allows you to adjust the blade speed to match the blades you are using and the material you are cutting. For instance, you would want to run the saw full speed when cutting plywood, but would likely want to turn the speed down to 2 or 3 for cutting thick steel to keep heat down, or when cutting concrete to control heat and dust generation. This electronics suite also helps the saw to keep the blade at a constant speed regardless of load, helping to produce a more consistent cut and prevent damage to the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06067R.JPG
Views:	2301
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	4406   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06069R.JPG
Views:	945
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	4407   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06062R.JPG
Views:	2161