The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Woody View Post
Thanks, Phil, that's some great info !!!

I have no problem paying around $80 or more for the blade I'd use most often. (I'd prolly go cheaper for specialty blades like for laminates, melamine, fast/rough cuts, green wood, etc.) - esp if it lasts longer.

So now, for me, the only question where I can purchase these blades. From what you wrote earlier, they are a little hard to "track" down. (bad pun....)

Any suggestions?
That depends on where you are at in the world. Rockler carries the Irwin Marples (their new one). Woodcraft carries the Freud "Industrial" and I carry the Popular Tools, and not sure who carries the Tenryu. All are about the same but you probably will not find them at the HD or Lowes. If you want the best price you have to compare apples to apples and shop around. The difference can be very much worth the effort.

I can send a catalog to anyone that wants one. Just PM me with mailing address through this system and I will send you one. I do offer a 20% discount to forum members except for the Professional Series and those are very low priced already.

Phil
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 AM

Default Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Phil, totally awesome post- I learned stuff I didn't know I even needed to know!! Thanks for taking the time to put all of that info down in such reader-friendly form.... nice.
Rick
Thank for the encouragement. I started researching more after my daughter started sharpening saw blades, but the real emphasis started when several members were complaining of bad EZ track performance and I was pretty sure it was more of a saw or blade issue. I know that if someone is using a thin kerf blade there will be cut drift even with a track. Trying to save some wood and they end up losing more. The big issue for me was making sure they had the right problem identified. Not blaming the EZ1 just because they are now looking at the variation, but the saw or the saw blade if that is the culprit of a bad cut.

Thanks again.
Phil
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Default Very helpful thread

Thanks, Guys. Just what I needed to see.

Don
My goal and plan: This will be a relatively healthy (low dust, max safety) hobby shop that makes hard wood picture frame moldings, furniture, some interior house trim, doors & remodeling, new deck floors. Minimize accessories by buying right tool systems. Planned use 5 to 10 hours a week, more on bigger projects.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Phil, Great info. I'll look up your web site.

Don
My goal and plan: This will be a relatively healthy (low dust, max safety) hobby shop that makes hard wood picture frame moldings, furniture, some interior house trim, doors & remodeling, new deck floors. Minimize accessories by buying right tool systems. Planned use 5 to 10 hours a week, more on bigger projects.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldedit View Post
Phil, Great info. I'll look up your web site.

Don
What's the URL for Phil's site?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Diablo 8 1/4"........ Kerf= .059 plate = .046 +/- expansion slots= too thin dia. cooling vents=nonexistent... Price= 21.99 +/-

Oshlun 8 1/4"........Kerf=.075 plate= .054 +/- expansion slots=substantial dia.
cooling vents=substantial... price=12.99
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Shaw View Post
Diablo 8 1/4"........ Kerf= .059 plate = .046 +/- expansion slots= too thin dia. cooling vents=nonexistent... Price= 21.99 +/-

Oshlun 8 1/4"........Kerf=.075 plate= .054 +/- expansion slots=substantial dia.
cooling vents=substantial... price=12.99
Billy,

How many Oshlun blades have you used? I haven't been impressed.

Burt
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Can we talk ATB vs TCG again?

I'm deciding between the two blades here in 7-1/4:
http://justsawblades.com/popular/gp_blades_atb.html
http://justsawblades.com/popular/gp_blades_tcg.html

I need the best compromise blade for "set it and forget it" use. From the description, it seems the ATB offers a better cut, but TCG lasts longer? It describes TCG as "preferable" for MDF and particle board. Is it preferable because this stuff dulls ATB blades quickly, or because TCG offers a better cut quality through that specific material?

Also, i'm not sure if i should be looking at a 40 tooth or 60 tooth for a blade of this diameter.

Thanks

edit: and lastly, when we talk about blade life, what is considered short for a hobbyist? Let's go on the extreme end and say the blade was used to cut maybe 100 feet of MDF per day. Is it fair to say either blade would last two months before needing a resharpening?

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 PM

Well I think you will find most use a 24 tooth blade
and most use the diablo.

It only takes 5 min to change a blade not like some TS so keep a few around there are some really good 20 dollar blades so you can have a few around of coarse if you want to pay big bucks and get them sharpenerd when the dual go for it. The new blades today are tipped and work fine not like the old days for sure even the low cost blades work not bad at all. Kinda like the old cars with points and condenser nothing like electronic today cars don't stall al over the place.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 PM

Default Mdf

As much as I hate MDF, I would use the TCG. It is not as smooth as the ATB, but it will last longer sawing through that abusive material.

The 60 tooth will heat up and burn wood faster than the 40 tooth. The High ATB grind is best for laminate and melamine over particle board. TCG will work on Melamine and MDF. The TCG is a fair all around compromise -- emphasis on COMPROMISE!-- There is no such thing as a good set and use it on anything -- the TCG is as close as you can get but even then it is not as smooth and you may get some tear out or splintering on some materials. Somewhat unpredictable.

All of that said, I have not tested my TCG on my 7.25" only on the 10" chop saw.

Phil