The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Home Renovations

Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 AM

Default The Saw - DeWalt DW359 7 1/4 in CS and Blades

I don't have the Smart Base plate yet but I am already trying to figure out where to drill the four attachment holes. It is obvious that the holes should be between the ridges on the bottom of the base plate. The miter assembly is a bit in the way in the front left corner. Maybe I could remove one of the screws holding the miter assembly to the base, drill through the hole and the SB and reattach with longer screws. Or, maybe I could take advantage of the tapped holes in the thick aluminum miter assembly that is used to tighten down the adjustable fence (where did I put that fence). Both of the tapped fence holes are almost centered between the ridges. The base plate doesn't seem thick enough to tap with threads that Dino does so well and so fast, so it looks like nuts for me.

Looks like I need one of those Empire 3990 squares to square up the sliding fence/square that's coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dewalt top.jpg (60.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg dewalt right side.jpg (63.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg base plate front.jpg (56.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg base plate bottom front.jpg (65.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 AM

Default The Blades

I know that I should get the Freud Diablo, which I am going to do. Do you have a model number that works best for you at 24 and 40 teeth; like the D0740A-24 tooth framing blade and the D0740A 40-tooth finish blade? But for those poor saps like me who unknowingly bought some blades in the past, can you tell me what the following blades are good for? Maybe the trash? I have three new Marathon 7L Plus carbide, and one new Idham 186 tooth obviously not carbide tipped. Maybe I'll do some practice cuts using the Marathons unless you say that would be pointless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon 24230.jpg (56.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Idham 186 tooth.jpg (53.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Default There is no practice thats pointless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybird View Post
I know that I should get the Freud Diablo, which I am going to do. Do you have a model number that works best for you at 24 and 40 teeth; like the D0740A-24 tooth framing blade and the D0740A 40-tooth finish blade? But for those poor saps like me who unknowingly bought some blades in the past, can you tell me what the following blades are good for? Maybe the trash? I have three new Marathon 7L Plus carbide, and one new Idham 186 tooth obviously not carbide tipped. Maybe I'll do some practice cuts using the Marathons unless you say that would be pointless.
Sydney

There is no practice that's pointless, especially if your paying attention and thinking. (this should no problem for you patents being so detailed) As a matter of fact I recommend it highly to anyone who wants a better product, try to make every time a little better! Something you can be proud of, even simple practice. (my pride most of the time these days is just get it done, or workings even typing make my hand numb)

Wait on your second blade. If you plane us it just for ripping get a rip blade, but wait and see.

Best of LUCK
Mel
Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
Forgot to take a picture of my shop built stair tread jig, but it is basically piece of ply with two dadoes, covered with hard board to make T-slots, four strips of wood with knobs at each end that connect two boards that actually make the pattern. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow.

Okay, here is the promised picture...

IMG_4199.JPG

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Default Stair Tread Measuring Jig

[QUOTE=Dik Harrison;3606]Okay, here is the promised picture...

Very cool stair tread measuring jig. Thanks Dik!

Thanks Mel! Best of health to you.

Paul
Old 05-05-2010, 07:17 PM

Default EZ has arrived

I received my EZ components (SGS-114, STK and a sliding square fence) last week and holy cow, these are not slacker parts! I am now the proud owner of 25 lbs of aluminum! Until you hold these rails in your hands you have no idea of the scale, quality, and technical achievement these extrusions represent. Now I can see how these rails can be used as a car ramp, scaffolding, and freeway guard rail. I can't imagine these rails ever going out of straight or twisting. I'm an aerospace engineer and these rails remind me of spacecraft structures. Flat sheets of aluminum these are not. I remember a video where the rail and clamps were used like a mini table to hold small pieces and now I see how this could work with no bending and flexing.

My day job kept me from playing with my new toys last weekend, but this weekend watch out. Oh darn, Mother's Day, but I'm building the staircase for her, arenít I? Who needs jewelry when you can build a staircase?