The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > RipSizer

Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Default UEG question

Hi, thinking of buying the universal edge guide. One question first. How do you know/see where you are cutting? I.e. What is the process to cut 12 inches off a piece of plywood? How ong does it take to set up to then decide to cut off 7.25 inches for the next rip? I have seen several videos of ripping along with speed and great happiness, but nothing that demos how to rip exactly 12 inches off a piece of ply. Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated:-) Pictures or videos doubly so. :-)

Thank you,

Dennis
Old 08-11-2013, 03:18 PM

I put self sticking tapes on each leg and zeroed them with the saw blade against the fence. I then just set to the measurement I want on both sides and cut.

Without the measuring tapes, for each leg, you just need to measure the desired distance from the fence to the saw blade and lock the leg at that distance.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
I put self sticking tapes on each leg and zeroed them with the saw blade against the fence. I then just set to the measurement I want on both sides and cut.

Without the measuring tapes, for each leg, you just need to measure the desired distance from the fence to the saw blade and lock the leg at that distance.
From reading this, I'm assuming that there's enough "slop" between the base and tracks that each end has to be set individually? This then is the need to have a measurement at each end of the base to maintain the saw blade parallel to the fence when tightening the knobs?

Thinking about buying the UEG and Cabinet Maker and trying to learn some of the quirks before I taken the plunge.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
From reading this, I'm assuming that there's enough "slop" between the base and tracks that each end has to be set individually? This then is the need to have a measurement at each end of the base to maintain the saw blade parallel to the fence when tightening the knobs?

Thinking about buying the UEG and Cabinet Maker and trying to learn some of the quirks before I taken the plunge.

Thanks,

Tom
yes you can have up to 1/8" variance if you try hard enough

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 08-12-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
yes you can have up to 1/8" variance if you try hard enough
Thanks, good to know. The earlier post about putting scales zeroed to the blade and inside face of the fence make sense then as that would make it easy to get identical settings at each end of the base, keeping the blade parallel to the fence while also making it easy to set the saw to cut the required width.

Regards,

Tom
Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 AM

I intend to put measure tapes on my UEG because I think it's a nice touch.
However in the meantime I've used it several times already where I measured my cut, put a pencil mark on the wood, adjusted the saw guide to the pencil mark and let 'er rip! No problems, EZ for sure. I love to over think and over engineer things but the UEG is a simple tool that works as advertised.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 AM

I will have to give the measuring tape a try myself with my UEG. Measuring and aligning the cut I found to be very awkward to set up. I found it tough to balance the heavy saw and guide while moving things around precisely. Honestly so far I prefer making long rips with my track and clamps.

The cabinet maker I also have and LOVE! Highly reccomended.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 AM

I cut more siding today for my shed project. I just put a small mark on the siding, slid the saw into place and made the cut. The siding is sitting on an old banquet table and the part being cut is hanging over the edge. No problems at all and it all went quickly.

In the second photo the saw is not in place yet. I can see the mark through a slot in the base. I find if I slide gently the base stays square in the UEG.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 PM

Well I received my new UEG and MFT table and put them together. The UEG went together very easy and the new saw base with the tabs was much easier to install. The only problem I have is I am going to have to temporarily loosen one or two of the screws to get my blade wrench out of the saw base. Because the guide track is in the way. The MFT table went together with no problem other than it did take a few trips to my computer to zoom in on the picture on the EZ site. The upper legs took a little backwards engineering to figure out how attach to the rail.

My first UEG project!
I inherited two 5ft by-fold doors that I need cut down to fit into a 9ft 8in opening in my shop. I need to cut a Ĺ inch off 8 door sections. To my discovery, unlike with using a track, there is no easy way to clamp the door section down to the MFT when the piece is narrower than the UEG track. This is because the UEG track will run into the clamps. I could have used double sided tape to keep the piece from moving but I didnít want to buy tape just to use it once and double side tape isnít cheap. I purchase shelve Grip Liner for a buck at Dollar General and it worked great (See pictures). Oh and the cuts with the chip guard were flawless. Oh! and the fin worked great!

I made sure my fist cut with the UEG didnít go like my first cut with the Ripsizer. See scare on track in picture.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0367.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	5645   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0358.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	5646   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0357.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	5647  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Master Carpenter

Default A good problem?

Hi guys.
The saw can be set with the blade close to the fence or far away from the fence for the few extra inches that we may need some times.
a tape stick has to be double or reversible?
Best if we set the blade on the left or right of the mark line.
I think, for now using the ueg without a tape stick is easier.

again, when a simpler solution is found we will upgrade the ueg.
the smart base comes with 2 small indicators.
one when the blade is closer to the fence and one when the blade is 5-1/2" away from the fence.

the new videos will make everything very clear.
tx'd