The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > RipSizer

Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM

Default Measuring cut size with the UEG

What're people's best practices to get accurate cut size with the UEG?

I've seen the "thin steel ruler with a stop under the blade"
http://tracksawforum.com/showthread....8740#post28740

and the possibility of a Woodpecker custom tool (apparently they stopped responding)

http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=2996

that thread includes some people that have stick steel rulers down to the UEG arms. I'm a bit worried about getting that in the right spot, and then changing blades, as well as visually setting the saw base to the right mark.

Any advance on those techniques? I've been doing a version of the steel ruler but without a stop, not so accurate. I think something adjustable but the full length of the UEG would be the bee's knees, or at least something that worked with stops and could adjust one end and then the other.

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Default Woodpecker Story Stick Pro?

Hmmm, the woodpecker story stick pro, with the caliper arms looks like a possible option.

Using the caliper arms from the bottom between the fence and the saw blade. 24" is $60 including the caliper arms, but useful for other things too. Temping to get the 48" of course
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM

I have used the UEG several times and love it, after I struggle to set it up. I have a horrible time getting it set straight and to the right measurement. I am finding myself cutting my pieces larger by a 1/4" because I don't trust the setup and then cutting to final size on my power bench. I read that there was going to be a video put out on how to accurately setup and use the UEG, but that was months ago. Any help in this area would be great as I am not coming close to using the UEG for its intended purpose.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

I think all of us are anxiously awaiting the videos. My understanding was that EZ had employed someone to do these videos. Apparently he has other priorities.

Burt

Last edited by Burt; 10-24-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeraeya View Post
Hmmm, the woodpecker story stick pro, with the caliper arms looks like a possible option.

Using the caliper arms from the bottom between the fence and the saw blade. 24" is $60 including the caliper arms, but useful for other things too. Temping to get the 48" of course
Thanks for the idea!

I got some Pinnacle caliper arms and story stick tabs from Woodcraft on closeout. They are $13.50 per set. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...ment-Tabs.aspx They look the same as the pretty red brand.

I use them with the Incra t-track plus which has a ruler next to a slot http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/sea...t-track%20plus. This ranges in price from $12 to $22 for the 48". Less expensive and with a few less features (no ruler on both sides, no black bar on top), but you can get a variety of sizes, more than woodpecker offers. Woodpecker flip stops could also be used with this system. Some of you may already have the Incra super t-track, so cost then would be minimal. Or if you have both some Woodpecker regular or flip stops and the Super T-track you might not have to buy anything.

Last edited by Goblu; 10-23-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: not incra, but woodpecker stops
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM

Cool

I forgot to add something I like about the Incra t track plus. The rulers in them can be purchased separately and can be moved in the track. So, you could build in an offset. They also have right and left sided rulers. I was thinking I might figure out how to attach them to a table for quick measuring like they do in the fabric stores. Lots of possibilities and they are multi-use.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Katie,

I have to agree with you about T Track plus. I've used it to build power benches, Make rip sizers and most recently to make a UEG. I used a lot of it before we got the EZ extrusions. More recently, I was using it before EZ came out with its T Track. The track is great for light duty use. The power benches didn't work very well. There was to much flex in the t track plus. I have used it in many applications as a fence and measuring device.

Burt
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 PM

So, I went and took pictures of the Incra track with the Pinnacle arms for a story stick. At the end is a woodpecker stop that I like to use sometimes, too. It can be put on the top or the bottom to provide a stop. You can slide the lexan ruler to make this point zero.

Here's the stop, shown in gold rather than red like I have, though you could use something else if it fit in regular t-track.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-Stop-Kit.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).jpg
Views:	256
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	5691   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	5692  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Katie,

I have to agree with you about T Track plus. I've used it to build power benches, Make rip sizers and most recently to make a UEG. I used a lot of it before we got the EZ extrusions. More recently, I was using it before EZ came out with its T Track. The track is great for light duty use. The power benches didn't work very well. There was to much flex in the t track plus. I have used it in many applications as a fence and measuring device.

Burt
Amazing to build these things out of it. Maybe if I ever find a way to mount my cheapie ryobi portable saw on a track I should try to make a baby ueg for small work Just kidding, I have enough on my plate right now.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 AM

Another vote for the t track plus! Lots of great uses for it including Dik's idea to attach it to the EZ-one to replace the UHMW stops. I just finished this adaptation tonight and really like the long solid length of aluminum as the squaring stop. And being able to use the woodpecker stops is an added bonus.

Rod

Last edited by Ivanhoe; 10-24-2013 at 02:32 AM.