The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > EurekaZone Forum > EZ Specials

Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 PM

I think Dino was saying is that only the frame is the same as the EZ1 and that you'd take the table off the bench and replace it with the sliding fences and B300. Though I agree with you, it would be more versatile if the tracks were recessed into the table, so it was all flat, then you could just add the B300 and you'd be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw218 View Post
Dino
Is the MDF top all one thickness. And then the tracks for the clamping must be EZ t track. Are they cut in with a router or are they done on a CNC machine. Or is the top made of two layers and the track is filled with additional MDF. Piece.
Why is the saw track that is mounted on top of the MDF top not recessed down flat with the top of the gluing surface. Seems that if you wanted to mount a bridge on the set up the flat saw track that is 6 inches wide would get in the way of the cutting process . I have been using a second table beside my them F key table with the bridge and have found that having a second table that rolls around makes for a nice support when cutting larger pieces of plywood such as 4 x 8 sheets under the bridge on the MFT table. I could see where the second rolling table could be replaced with the new glueing /clamping table by putting it on rollers and keeping the height the same as the existing saw table that I have now
Tom
Old 05-28-2014, 10:44 PM

Another question: Could this be attached to the top of the MFMT? I realize it would not have quite the same clamping capacity. But it would depend on how you wanted to use it. I'm thinking relocate the four 24" B2B pieces (that normally hold the sacrificial boards) to the underside of the the top to keep it structurally strong, then attach the clamping tabletop to the two 48" B2B pieces on top of the MFMT. I'm not sure how the new clamping tabletop attaches, but this seems feasible.

Last edited by Goblu; 05-28-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:07 PM

Default More versatile

I can understand why you want the track flat and level but then you miss one of the main squaring points. The Kreg system has two sides to square your face frames for cabinets. The problem with the kreg or any pocket screw for that matter, is the sliding at the joint as the screw is driven into the wood. Having the edges clamped and braced is just one more thing I do not have to watch out for. As Katie was demonstrating in her post a couple days ago was the glue ups for edge laminating requires a stationary edge to wedge the lumber edge to edge. I personally think it is stretching the uses of "multi purpose" too much to make it a bridge and a clamping table and . . . Instead of a Swiss Army knife, EZ is best served with a system that allows the user to configure the system in the manner befitting their work habits, instead of making a one size fits all, be all tool. I think it is enough to allow me the way to configure and join or not my parts and use it to my way of working. Instead of making one tool that has to be broken down and reconfigured every time I want to make a cut.
Again, that is me and my preference. I just looked and the entire Kreg system was $400 plus clamps and that (22" X 34" X 3/4") top was not nearly as big or flexible as the 24" X 48" 1 1/8" thick EZ system. The MDF is almost twice the thickness of the Kreg table. The Kreg table has only 2 perimeter clamp sides and only the Kreg clamps will work. From what I see in the EZ photos there are several clamp options (including all EZ clamps), 2 perimeter top side clamp tracks, 4 recessed flat clamp tracks, and four 90 degree side clamping tracks. The stand has greater range of adjustment than the Kreg stand to say nothing of durable EZ materials. Comparatively you get a great deal more bench with the EZ system. The top of the Kreg unit that I saw was melamine covered particle board, and not the same as the powder coated MDF. I would have preferred a different color, but that again may be only me.

All in all, I think you get much more for the money with the EZ Smart Clamping Table. It is true that the $600 may be more than you want to spend, but if you are in the market for a bench the EZ system tools give great value for the dollar and benches are not cheap by any standard. I have not even used one yet, my comparison is based on what I have seen of the Kreg, and the sales literature of both companies. After I get an EZ Smart Clamp Bench I will have more to add to the review.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:25 PM

Phil, I agree that having the track raised above the table top is important. In fact I just put together a face frame using that jig you are talking about. (Using pocket holes) It would be even easier on the table with two fences to square it. It looks like you might be able to remove the track, and if so, that would give more surface area. I'd be curious to know if you can. Hard to tell from the photos.

I just looked at the photos again and it certainly looks like the long piece of track just slides into the t-track, so that could be removed and another extrusion could be used as a sliding fence if someone wanted a slimmer fence, like some B2B.. Or just a piece of wood with a couple of connectors. It looks very flexible, just like the EZ One.

Last edited by Goblu; 05-28-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw218 View Post
Dino
Is the MDF top all one thickness.

yes.

And then the tracks for the clamping must be EZ t track.

yes
Are they cut in with a router or are they done on a CNC machine.

cnc
Or is the top made of two layers and the track is filled with additional MDF. Piece.
Why is the saw track that is mounted on top of the MDF top not recessed down flat with the top of the gluing surface. Seems that if you wanted to mount a bridge on the set up the flat saw track that is 6 inches wide would get in the way of the cutting process .

you can remove it and we will look again if is better to mounted flat.
we always have many options with ez

I have been using a second table beside my them F key table with the bridge and have found that having a second table that rolls around makes for a nice support when cutting larger pieces of plywood such as 4 x 8 sheets under the bridge on the MFT table. I could see where the second rolling table could be replaced with the new glueing /clamping table by putting it on rollers and keeping the height the same as the existing saw table that I have now
Tom

Tom, anything can be done.
more tech details from the team that worked on this nice table.
Even better...a video is getting done by Laney to show few options.

tx again
d
Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Another question: Could this be attached to the top of the MFMT?

why not?

I realize it would not have quite the same clamping capacity. But it would depend on how you wanted to use it. I'm thinking relocate the four 24" B2B pieces (that normally hold the sacrificial boards) to the underside of the the top to keep it structurally strong, then attach the clamping tabletop to the two 48" B2B pieces on top of the MFMT. I'm not sure how the new clamping tabletop attaches, but this seems feasible.
anything is doable if you think of it.
This is the great benefit of the open design system.

tx
d
Old 05-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
I think Dino was saying is that only the frame is the same as the EZ1 and that you'd take the table off the bench and replace it with the sliding fences and B300. Though I agree with you, it would be more versatile if the tracks were recessed into the table, so it was all flat, then you could just add the B300 and you'd be good to go.
Good idea Sean and it is possible.
few more days and as you know this thing is going to get much better with
the forum input...even better after you use it few times.

tx
d

why I'm using red?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
[COLOR="Red"]

why I'm using red?
To match the new table, yes?

I like the color. It stands out. Green and blue have other associations . On my screen it doesn't look pink, btw, it looks tomato red.

If people are going to swap tops, it might be a good idea to put some handles under it or on the sides. I guess you could add your own, but perhaps that will be an enhancement along the way if you find lots of folks are doing that.

Last edited by Goblu; 05-29-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Default I want one

This looks great. Very versatile. Yes it is one more table. But wow it does so much from what I can see. I'm with Philb on the not trying to make it an all in one tool so much. Having to take things apart and rebuild slows my work style way down. When I'm tired the last thing I want to do is take something apart install what I need and work some more. It's great that if you have an EZ1 you can swap it out to clamp. But it looks like it's strength is that it is a clamping table. And from what I can tell a very well thought out one.
Can't wait to get mine.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:58 AM

In discussing the new clamping workbench from EZ, some have commented re. having the ability to mount a sliding bridge onto the sides. Here is one simple option that works on EZ extrusions that are mounted in a vertical position- as on the face of the new workbench, for example.

In these examples, I made a removable base to fit onto the bottom of my circular-mount EZ square that allows me to mount the square to my PBB, but the principle applies to any piece of EZ track, even if you don't need the angle-setting feature.
The removable base is simply an angled brace that attaches to the bottom of the track, and to the vertical face of the EZ extrusion. From there, once the track is raised, it cantilevers out over the workbench table. Using only a 24" piece of track poses no problem- it is very stable (no side-to-side movement, and deflection is not an issue (the extended track can hold my saw w/a bit of deflection, but nothing is in jeopardy; plus, when you cut something, the material being cut under the track supports the track thruout the cut.)) If I were going to use a longer track, I would mount a quick-adjust height-support on the other side of the PBB to support the cantilevered end of the track.

The unit slides easily, so you can move the track to the cut-line, instead of moving the cut-line to the track, or, remove/re-install when needed.
And, finally, if need be, you can quickly tilt the track for bevel cuts; w/a larger mounting plate, you can allow for greater angles/bevels than what's shown in the pic.

Rick
ps Igor's opinion:
- "YES", the pieces of track on that EZ workbench definitely need to be recessed flush w/the table top: otherwise, you don't have an 'open' top for projects that need one; plus, there are numerous options that slide into the track grooves that create a fence, when needed, and/or, one can use raise-able stops on the edges of the table to create a 'fence'…… Igor's opinion ended….

Last edited by bumpnstump; 06-01-2014 at 12:03 PM.