The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > EurekaZone Forum > EZ Specials

Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 AM

That's slick, especially like the protractor turntable. I guess there are 2 schools of though when cutting angles, move the wood or move the track. Yours is the right choice, move the track. Moving the wood is a problem with anything long.
When doing repeat cuts can you just slide your wood under the track or do you have to raise it? Though even if you had to raise it you could just capture your angle bracket between 2 stops so it just slides vertically and doesn't change location.
Seems to me I remember Dino having some design info on a vertically lifting single point track mount. I think it slid on 2 vertical posts.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
I guess there are 2 schools of though when cutting angles, move the wood or move the track. Yours is the right choice, move the track. Moving the wood is a problem with anything long.

Agreed.

When doing repeat cuts can you just slide your wood under the track or do you have to raise it?

When the track is lowered, it sits snugly on the material being cut. To reposition the material, just push it away from the front attachment point- the track towards the far end doesn't place as much downward pressure as the front does; to make it even easier, start out w/a 1/8-1/4" spacer under the material; when finished cutting, push towards the back, off of the spacer- either way works smoothly.

Though even if you had to raise it you could just capture your angle bracket between 2 stops so it just slides vertically and doesn't change location.

In pic 3, you can see I've slid in a vertical 'guide' on the right side of the mount to do the same task. Another option is to use an 'anchored' connector, like what's shown below in pic one.

Seems to me I remember Dino having some design info on a vertically lifting single point track mount. I think it slid on 2 vertical posts.

I don't know re. Dino's version, but when I built my PBB, I designed some simple sliding, vertical-adjusting holders for my custom bridges to slide in. (see pic two) In the pic, you can see the main holder is raised a couple of inches. I'll modify this mount to work in those slider/holders.
This contraption works- and it works w/great precision; the rotating aspect of the mount eliminates virtually all 'slop' when adjusting for angles. Often, on my PBB, I really don't need a full bridge/track set-up- this, for me, is a simple/quick solution for those times.
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg square- circular base- anchored connector.jpg (94.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg bridges- sliding mounts.jpg (93.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg square- circular mount- mod to fit PBB - 1.jpg (94.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 AM

Rick, that is extremely slick. I can see how it solves the issue of bevel cuts as well as angle cuts. I'm still trying to figure out the middle photo, though, the one labeled "bridges- sliding mounts.jpg (2 of 3)" I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Also, I'm guessing that the item with the long handle shown to the far right in photo 3 is a stop of some sort. My guess is that it has some other function as well. Just wondering.

Last edited by Goblu; 06-03-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Rick, that is extremely slick. I can see how it solves the issue of bevel cuts as well as angle cuts. I'm still trying to figure out the middle photo, though, the one labeled "bridges- sliding mounts.jpg (2 of 3)" I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Also, I'm guessing that the item with the long handle shown to the far right in photo 3 is a stop of some sort. My guess is that it has some other function as well. Just wondering.
Katie, you put a smile on my face- whenever I'm taking a pic of something in my shop, I ask myself, "Now, I wonder what Katie will notice in this pic and ask about"...... LOL. I promise, I don't have any secret weapons stashed away, or anything like that..... heh-heh-heh....

To answer the question, tho: the 'long-handled item' was a scrap I scooped up off of the floor one day when I was needing a stop on the edge of my PBB- it just happened to be an "L" shape. I drilled a couple of holes in it, grabbed the nearest handle, and put it to work. Well, it turned out to be quite handy for numerous options, so I kept it. Next, I'll be routing a slot in the long part of the "L" to allow me to use it to help clamp things downwards to the table top. Funny how discards sometimes are more valuable than initially imagined.

Here is a progressive pic of the 'bridge-sliding mounts'. When I first built my PBB, I wanted to incorporate a way to slide the bridges to any point on the side/end of the PBB; as well as be able to remove the bridge and be able to put it back in the same spot; as well as have the ability to quickly raise the bridge for cutting thick material; as well as...... etc.

The left item in the pic is the basic attachment to the side of the PBB- a piece of HDPE, grooved out to accept a piece of track (see the middle item in the pic), w/a slide bar to maintain height (indicated by the 6 screws along the lower half), and having a piece of clamping extrusion to clamp to the table (indicated by the two clamping knobs).

The middle item in the pic is a piece of the grooved HDPE, w/a piece of track mounted to it. Notice the piece of "L" aluminum at the bottom of the track. That comes into play in the far right item in the pic: the 'drop-in' bridge- it acts as a limiter so the drop-in bridge sits at the correct height. Also, if I want to raise the height of the bridge by, say, 1 1/2", just lift the bridge and use a 1 1/2" spacer between the "L" bracket and the bottom of the drop-in bridge, clamp it in place, that's it. When finished, loosen the bridge and it drops back to starting point. If you want to remove the bridge, loosen the knobs, pull the entire assembly out; when you want to replace it, just drop it in and tighten the knobs.

The item in the pic on the far right is the finished product: a)sliding hdpe (horizontal movement); b)track mounted on sliding hdpe (allows vertical movement); c)putting it all together.
To make the bridge work, mount your EZ bridge to a piece of the double extrusion, which is the 'drop-in' portion that goes into the track. (In the pic, the wooden 'bridge' is just a mock-up to show the concept.)

If you need more pics/explanation, let me know.
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PBB- sliding bridge mounts.jpg (103.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
I promise, I don't have any secret weapons stashed away, or anything like that..... heh-heh-heh....
Rick
Hmmmm.....I'm pretty sure if you did have them, they would somehow be disguised as something you can use in the shop, like those mysterious holes in the track a few threads back. Still not sufficiently explained

I'm still studying this whole setup and may have more questions after I do.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:08 AM

Katie fest tool has a track with holes drilled in it just like the one that Rick did. It is some kind of a indexing track for using a router possibly they will have a video on it that explains what you are trying to figure out. So many times a quick video will do a lot of explaining, I know it's hard to explain it in words sometimes. I often have trouble understanding what Rick is trying to say even though he is a great inventor, a video or too would make things much easier to understand.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks, TW218. It was a joke about the holes in the track, where I mentioned using it for a pasta maker/knife rack But the Festool thing is interesting to see what they will come up with.

Re Rick's amazing inventions. I usually study them for a time and then it pops into my head how it works, an "aha" moment. If not, he's very good at explaining, I feel. And patient with newbies like me
Old 06-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
It was a joke about the holes in the track, where I mentioned using it for a pasta maker/knife rack
WHAT!?! Katie... I had that thing in the kitchen trying to figure it out..... w/no success..... bummer..... (..... maybe my wife was right after all.... EZ is not meant for the kitchen.... rats....)
Igor
Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
... EZ is not meant for the kitchen.... rats....)
Igor
You haven't yet hard of the new line of EZ products? Starting with the EZ Kitchen Carving Station (KCS) for all your holiday meat slicing needs and the EZ Bread Cutter (BC) (previously the Bread Slicer (BS)) for precise and repeatable slices of bread from paper thin to ginormous.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 PM

I think this thread has gone off topic