The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > EZ Forums Archive > How To

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Kreg screws stripping problem - Bo Jones

I'm almost finished with cutting the parts for my Bench and started putting it together. To practice making pocket hole joints with the Kreg Jig, I was fastening the frame to the top from underneath. Using 3/4 birch plywood for everything. No problem drilling the pocket holes, but when I started with the recommended 1/14" coarse thread screws (C125), about half would strip in the 3/4 top. The plywood shows no voids and the in drilling the pocket holes, no voids showed.

What do you guys see as the problem, the wood, the screws or me, or is stripping not uncommon.

In cutting the ply, the very thin birch veneer top has kinda rough edge with very small pieces of the veneer hanging over the cut-small like maybe 1/32. A couple of passes with sandpaper on the top edge and it is clean just like the rest of the cut. So, not a problem, just curious if that is typical of the ply we get now?

Thanks.

Bo
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Dino Makropoulos

Hi Bo.
What bench?
Are you screwing thru plastic?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM

Default Paul Greathouse

Bo,

How have you been? I use Kreg Pocketholes alot and I do experince the problem you are talking about. I blame it on the plywood. Plywood is great in alot of ways but, at least for me, pocket hole screws tend to strip out in it more than in solid stock.

I think your using the correct materials (birch ply) for your bench, I'm assuming its the PBB that you have been planning on building. You saw mine when you visited a few months ago. It's still working out great for me. It stays accurate and produces square cuts everytime.

As for the stripping you might try letting off of the trigger toward the end of the drive and make the last quarter turn by hand. Or, try to adjust your driver so it torques out before the screw has a chance to strip.

I keep a supply of both fine and coarse thread Kreg screws on hand. If a fine thread strips sometimes you can replace it with a coarse thread and it will bite where the fine thread slipped.

I'm working on a triple router table this weekend. It will be dedicated to cabinet door making most of the time. The top will be MDF covered with formica but the cabinet below will be birch ply so I will probably be stripping some screws soon, myself.

Good Luck with the bench, if you have any specific questions about mine, PM me, I'll check back in tonight.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM

Default Burt Waddell

Bo,

If you got the made in China plywood, you can expect anything.

Are you pre-drilling holes in the top?

I see no reason why the screws should strip out.

Pauls suggestion is right on about how to deal with it. Are you using a drill driver or an impact driver?

Burt
Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Default Bo Jones

Dino, no plastic. Pocket hole in 3/4 ply screwing into 3/4 ply.

Paul, I'll try your suggestions. You may be right on target with the Plywood problems. And yes, I learned a number of things from my visit being incorporated in this bench.

Bert, good suggestions. Because I am using this as a learning experience with pocket holes, all of you all's comments are very welcome.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Default Leo Graywacz

I would guess it is you. That is. if by stripping you mean the screw bottoms out and then keeps spinning. Depending on what material you are driving the screws into you need to adjust the torque of the driver. You can't just go full bore and expect the screw to overpower the driver and stall it out. I have a Makita driver and set the clutch according to the material I am drilling into. For Poplar it is about 10 for plywood it is about 8 for Oak and Maple and other harder woods it can be between 10-14. I can be driving screws and having good luck and then all of a sudden I will get one that strips. Just a softer spot in the wood.
Closed Thread

Tags
pocket screws