The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > EurekaZone Forum > EZ Specials

Old 12-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Master Carpenter

Thumbs up New Year Gifts from EZ

Hi Guys.
If you wish a super special from ez....
what's in your wish list?

That will help us to do the next ez special ...
another limited production run.

We will follow your wishes by priority.
Even if we don't have the tool...we will make it ASAP.

Thanks again and happy new year.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Hi Dino,
I have a design in my head for a power bench bridge that uses linear bearings straight up/down instead of the forward swing hinge.

Don't need CNC bearings, I think an assembly of EZ components (standard rail, rail connectors, maybe some milled plastic, would work great. The idea is very similar to the SSRK positioner, but some things are reversed.

The issue I have with the bridge is that there are extra angles to calibrate that are not very easy to have very tight tolerance. Example: angle of swing hinge can change the rail distance to fence at different material thickness
The difference might be only 1/32" inch but it is there unless I spend a lot of time to fix.

With a linear bearing / SSRK design I would be able to
1) calibrate the distance to fence (easy, i just install it against the locked fence).
2) Check perfect vertical registration up/down of carriage using machine square.
3) Tighten, done!

Bonus: with an open bottom design the bridged rail can be simply pulled off of the table, and can have a very deep depth of cut (12" if wanted for material that will be cut then flipped)

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Kincaid; 01-08-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added comparison to SSRK
Old 01-09-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
Example: angle of swing hinge can change the rail distance to fence at different material thickness
The difference might be only 1/32" inch but it is there unless I spend a lot of time to fix.
I'm not too clear on your solution here, Brian, but I can say I've also noticed the issue with the swing hinge causing slight deviance. What is square at 1/2in. is not always square at 1 1/2in..
Old 01-09-2018, 08:24 AM

The track being square at one material thickness and not at another would seem to indicate that the bracket(s) are not perpendicular to the work top.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
The track being square at one material thickness and not at another would seem to indicate that the bracket(s) are not perpendicular to the work top.
That is certainly one source of error. Here are the ones I have checked:
Starting with the rail flat to the worktop you have the following mis-alignment possibilities:
Front/Back bridge pivot pin not square to worktop up/down (user install error)
Front/Back bridge pivot pin not square to rail left/right (manufacturing tolerance)
Front/Back Rail connection pivot pin not square to rail left/right (user install error)
Front/Back Rail connection pivot pin not square to worktop (manufacturing tolerance)
Bridge pivot arm length mismatch (manufacturing tolerance)
Pivot arm resting angle match front and back - this is not an alignment problem, but will cause issues in use because the rail will be higher in the front or back when resting on material.

I think what I am attempting to do with my idea is take the 8 geometric pivot points (each pivot arm has 2 points and there are 4 arms) along with 4 critical length areas, then condense them down to two linear slides with only a single allowed motion (up/down). Or I'm nuts. Either way.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:23 PM

The straight up-down idea has merit, but I can see difficulties in raising the track between cuts - and of course the saw would have to be removed. One idea might still be to have a pivot - at the back - and a means of "fixing" the track in position at the front, this would allow pivoting the track up to allow the work to be slid out from under the track. Unless you can come up with a simple mechanism to raise the track - other that wires and pulleys on the ceiling

With it's simplicity, I'm impressed with the idea of an MFT-style top with an accurate dog hole pattern and the fence and track located by bench dogs - about as simple as you can get.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:52 PM

I would like to get the UEG next.
I have the old base and track and need to find the right saw
Old 01-10-2018, 05:08 AM

Personally I'd like to see either a package on some extrusions and accessories for a power bench. You had the discount on the bridge, but the extrusions plus some accessories can add up (stops etc.) I did some reading into setting up a power bench for myself and went crazy trying to track down a budget friendly option that provides something between http://tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=918 and http://tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=24. The latter is just too expensive piecing it together.

The other thing I'd like to see is the newer ueg. I still have the ripsizer, which I have never been able to successfully use and is collecting dust. 2x 54" rails plus clamps has been my preferred approach, but I think the new ueg would be a better option.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 AM

Could always use track extension connectors

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 AM

Hi Dino, my New Year's wish is to get to finally work with the track saw system and cabinet maker set I ordered back in mid December. I ordered the 108" track saw system via Rockler.com in mid-December, but a couple weeks later received the email that it wouldn't ship until mid Feb. The web site here says it is out of stock. However:
The 54" track system with universal base plate is in stock.
A 54" track piece is in stock.
Connecter rails are in stock.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the three things listed above what comes with a 108" track saw system? If that is correct, then why can't those be sent to me to complete my order? I was so excited when I placed this order and now I'm kind of disappointed with how this has been handled when I can clearly see that what I ordered is in stock, just in separate pieces.